By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Transfer watch summer 2019

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
What, what?
Better than the Moose....

Nope...

Nah...

Pah...

Pft...

Dont t get me wrong bruv I think he will be great and he will 100% grow into the side..... but up with Mousa is a seriously special place to be imo. Just my personal opinion but Mousa Dembele, for pure footballing ability, was better on the ball than Gazza, Ginola, maybe Modric...

I hope you are right.

Last edited:
The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid

Nope...

Nah...

Pah...

Pft...

Dont t get me wrong bruv I think he will be great and he will 100% grow into the side..... but up with Mousa is a seriously special place to be imo. Just my personal opinion but Mousa Dembele, for pure footballing ability, was better on the ball than Gazza, Ginola, maybe Modric...

I hope you are right.

I saw something recently where there was an 18 month period (when he wasn't injured :eek:) at Spurs where Mousa was not dispossessed of the ball. Not one player took the ball off him in a game for 18 months.

That is unworldly. Nobody is that good.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
I saw something recently where there was an 18 month period (when he wasn't injured :eek:) at Spurs where Mousa was not dispossessed of the ball. Not one player took the ball off him in a game for 18 months.

That is unworldly. Nobody is that good.
Let's all hope the extra N grows to be that good. But let's not be shy about reminiscing how good the moose was. We can do both.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
He looks the goods but Dembele is simply one of the finest midfielders to have pulled on a boot over the past 20 years and the best ball carrier I have ever seen.

If Tanguy becomes half the player then we can consider it money well spent.

Dembele became a great midfielder for us but when he originally signed wasn't a midfielder and was shunted around the park a lot. As he wasn't a natural midfielder in his younger days he had limited passing range, Tungays is better, he was also not good in opposition box, I think Tungay will be slightly better there, Moussa was better at intercepting the ball, but they're both pretty equal at taking players on but Tungay looks a little quicker once past the players, he's also got a much better final pass than Dembele IMO which should help with the creativity issues. Dembele was one of the best midfielders we've had for twenty years but we've hardly been blessed there, bar Modric. Tungay in my opinion will be the player Mousa could have been had he been played as a centre midfielder from a young age.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member

Nope...

Nah...

Pah...

Pft...

I hope you are right.
Better than Modric or Gazza? Was gonna have serious debate but they were the best in the business, Dembele was good but limited too, couldn't, shoot, cross, or make the final pass for assist. Dembele had an unusually great ability intercepting the ball and gliding past players, majestic like but did nothing more than that. Not in same class Luka or Gazza mate.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
That’s a mighty call mate but he definitely has the potential. I was amazed today when listening to these so called experts that were talking about our business over the window and the amount of them that had forgotten we’ve signed Ndombele, was ridiculous!

For me he’s our most promising signing off the window. Top assists and tackles in the French league (I know it’s only the French league but still very impressive),last season says it all. A proper box to box midfielder. A decent window but not replacing Tripps the only real downside.
He's almost as good as Moussa with his tackling and moving forward with the ball but instead of running with it he can actually pass the ball further than 10 yards and as great as Dembeles runs looked the ball moves faster than the player, he'll genuinely help with our creativity from deeper positions once settled in. Dembele was amazing at what he did but I think rose tinted glasses make some look at him like the best player ever, he was no 4 time champs league winner, world cup runner up, and current ballon d'or holder like Luka Modric.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
He's almost as good as Moussa with his tackling and moving forward with the ball but instead of running with it he can actually pass the ball further than 10 yards and as great as Dembeles runs looked the ball moves faster than the player, he'll genuinely help with our creativity from deeper positions once settled in. Dembele was amazing at what he did but I think rose tinted glasses make some look at him like the best player ever, he was no 4 time champs league winner, world cup runner up, and current ballon d'or holder like Luka Modric.

You could make same “no trophy” argument for Harry Kane. It’s a strawman argument mate.

Dembele was an incredible player. You must have temporary amnesia because unless I am mistaken you have suggested repeatedly in this thread that a guy who has only played a couple of preseason games and come out of a second rate league is an upgrade.

Time will tell and in ten years’ time you might be proven correct but it is a ridiculous claim to make right now.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Think it's been a good window as I reckon we got the 3 players Poch wanted which is very important. We showed we can back him properly.

The Dybala thing for me was smoke and mirrors to push Lo Celso through, who I'm glad we got. Argentinians are always tenacious. Get stuck in. If he is to replace Eriksen, I hope he has Eriksens engine, but also will stick a boot in.

I still expect to lose Eriksen unfortunately. Athletico would be a great move for him as they look to have built a squad to really compete against barca and Madrid. Hope I'm wrong, but it's more important for this season I think that we keep Toby.

I see where @Liam is coming from with Ndombele. I'm not going to tout him as better than Dembele yet, but I always remember Dembele playing against united while at Fulham and thinking we need this guy. I couldn't believe united weren't in for him at the time as it happened just before the transfer window. Ndombele vs City was similar. He just looked so comfortable. He is far more raw than Dembele though at the minute. This could be good though as Poch can mould him.

Sessegnon I have to say I'm not to fussed right now. I'm glad we got him, I just don't see the plan behind him yet. Potential is there for sure I just don't know what he offers really. He sure as shit isn't a defender to replace any of our fullbacks. Gives us width though if we fancy that. Moves like Moura to. Proper pace.

Good window all in all. Think we have one of the most settled teams in the league and a bit of added quality where we needed it. Good to go!!

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
You could make same “no trophy” argument for Harry Kane. It’s a strawman argument mate.

Dembele was an incredible player. You must have temporary amnesia because unless I am mistaken you have suggested repeatedly in this thread that a guy who has only played a couple of preseason games and come out of a second rate league is an upgrade.

Time will tell and in ten years’ time you might be proven correct but it is a ridiculous claim to make right now.
Dembele wasn't great for ten years, had an amazing ability like no other in the world to pick loose balks up and make interceptions then carry the ball forward, getting the ball off him was near on impossible but let's not act like he is actually the GOAT, top player yes but like I've already stated tungay is a better passer of the ball and will offer loads more in the final third this isn't based on a few friendlies but his performances in the champions league last season. Ripped city's midfield to pieces
, yes that man city's midfield. He's not Mousa level yet but considering he's already playing that box to box role and has a superior passing range I'm confident he will reach higher standards. Fair enough with the trophy analogy as web brown and johnie Evan's are highly decorated player with regards to medals but Luka was undoubtedly one of the best players in the world in his position over the last decade, hence the individual award of a ballon d'or, bar Xavi and iniesta you'll struggle to find a midfielder who's been top class consistently for 8-9 seasons in Modric's career. I'm not knocking him, he was great and I love the guy but he had his limitations whilst being great at what he did.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Dembele wasn't great for ten years, had an amazing ability like no other in the world to pick loose balks up and make interceptions then carry the ball forward, getting the ball off him was near on impossible but let's not act like he is actually the GOAT, top player yes but like I've already stated tungay is a better passer of the ball and will offer loads more in the final third this isn't based on a few friendlies but his performances in the champions league last season. Ripped city's midfield to pieces
, yes that man city's midfield. He's not Mousa level yet but considering he's already playing that box to box role and has a superior passing range I'm confident he will reach higher standards. Fair enough with the trophy analogy as web brown and johnie Evan's are highly decorated player with regards to medals but Luka was undoubtedly one of the best players in the world in his position over the last decade, hence the individual award of a ballon d'or, bar Xavi and iniesta you'll struggle to find a midfielder who's been top class consistently for 8-9 seasons in Modric's career. I'm not knocking him, he was great and I love the guy but he had his limitations whilst being great at what he did.
Mate, I acknowledge his limitations I do and I maybe was rash adding Ratfishboy into the mix as he is one if the greatest even now at what he does.

Maybe I am a little rose tinted in looking at the Moose. I genuinely hope you are right and I am here fangirling over Ndom in 2 years time.

Poch himself commented on how much of a rare talent Mousa was. For me I think it was that I loved watching him do what he did, making world class players look like flailing mini roundabouts time after time.... your right more end product would have made him a Madrid player...

Anyways, that's all in the past and I hope the new kid and GLC can smash it.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
My god, if Dembele could pass or shoot he'd have been the greatest footballer of all time. He is still my all time fave. I was crushed when he left but I understood. Having said that, I do think N'Dombele has the potential to be a more effective player. We shall see.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
My god, if Dembele could pass or shoot he'd have been the greatest footballer of all time. He is still my all time fave. I was crushed when he left but I understood. Having said that, I do think N'Dombele has the potential to be a more effective player. We shall see.
errrm Messi, Ronaldo, Cryff, Pele, Maradona might all get a vote do you think?

C

corroded

Player in Training.
I was watching a vid of Dembele this morning...

I do wish he had more end product, I don't know why in those last few moments he tended to pass sideways, rather than slide it past a keeper or whatnot.

He's one of those players that people will look back on and never understand... What do you mean, he's best player you've seen.. he only got seven goals.

Given Dembele's Zen-like properties on the ball—a unique physique that is five per cent feather composite (his feet) and 95 per cent granite (the rest of him),a gliding style that has a little of the Roger Federer about it, and the fact the last time he lost possession Queen Victoria was on the throne—he should be one of the most talked about players in the Premier League.

There was just something about him, he'll likely stay one of my favourite Spurs players over the next few years. He was the engine that replaced the engine that was Modric, someone that was argued at the time had missing end product.

We missed Dembele last season, Eriksen does make the team tick in the attacking sense, but the stability of Modric and Dembele over those years shouldn't be underestimated, or discounted.

I hope that Ndombele is our new engine.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I was watching a vid of Dembele this morning...

I do wish he had more end product, I don't know why in those last few moments he tended to pass sideways, rather than slide it past a keeper or whatnot.

He's one of those players that people will look back on and never understand... What do you mean, he's best player you've seen.. he only got seven goals.

There was just something about him, he'll likely stay one of my favourite Spurs players over the next few years. He was the engine that replaced the engine that was Modric, someone that was argued at the time had missing end product.

We missed Dembele last season, Eriksen does make the team tick in the attacking sense, but the stability of Modric and Dembele over those years shouldn't be underestimated, or discounted.

I hope that Ndombele is our new engine.
I think the plan is a bigger and better version of Kante & Moose combined. If that happens we've got a chance of winning the league.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Yeah, I didn't want to be quite so, errr, hopeful, but there was that certain lynchpin missing last season. As decent as Sissoko was last year, he's not that player (actually think he might have a good time alongside Ndombele).

I think we've had a reasonably buying season, maybe we'll convince Dybala in January, haha.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Yeah, I didn't want to be quite so, errr, hopeful, but there was that certain lynchpin missing last season. As decent as Sissoko was last year, he's not that player (actually think he might have a good time alongside Ndombele).

I think we've had a reasonably buying season, maybe we'll convince Dybala in January, haha.
What was that quote about the French being garlic smelling, cheese eating surrender monkeys......well that's the heart and engine of our team lads. This could be a brilliant season if our hopes in Sissoko and NDombele are fulfilled. We have Winks, Dier, Wanyama and Skipp as back up, getting better every year. What's Bentaleb doing these days? Silly boy

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I think with who we have added and coming through you can put 2 decent sides out using each player once.

Lloris,rose,vertongen,alderwiereld,aurier,,Ndombele,winks,dele,eriksen,lo celso,kane
or
Gazzanigga,davies (or sessegnon),sanchez,foyth (dier or tanganga),KWP (or Dier),sissoko,lamela,wanyama (or Dier),skipp,lucas,son

And still have Parrott,nkoudou,marsh,georgiou.....etc

Thats just an example of being able to select 2 very decent sides,not neccesarily whats best,just a completely changed eleven still looks pretty tasty.

Last edited:
Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Good point this. Levy’s a cunning bastard, if he had planned it that way!

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I think with who we have added and coming through you can put 2 decent sides out using each player once.

Lloris,rose,vertongen,alderwiereld,aurier,,Ndombele,winks,dele,eriksen,lo celso,kane
or
Gazzanigga,davies (or sessegnon),sanchez,foyth (dier or tanganaga),KWP (or Dier),sissoko,lamela,wanyama (or Dier),skipp,lucas,son

Thats just an example of being able to select 2 very decent sides,not neccesarily whats best,just a completely changed eleven still looks pretty tasty.
That's depth.... and that's all we lacked to seriously stay the distance.... that and a bit of luck

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member

or
Gazzanigga,davies (or sessegnon),sanchez,foyth (dier or tanganaga),KWP (or Dier),sissoko,lamela,wanyama (or Dier),skipp,lucas,son

The first team wins 3-1 with Aurier giving away a penalty and getting sent off.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
That's depth.... and that's all we lacked to seriously stay the distance.... that and a bit of luck
Was listening to talk shite at work today and monkey head (keown) was actually bigging us up believe it not not. Mentioned everything going against us last season from 9 players in the semifinals of WC, Son playing 3 international tournaments, kane missed 10 league games, we had no home stadium, and we got loads of injuries, he also said Alli never got going but our injury and midfield problems meant he had to play with different responsibilities.
We've managed to keep most of that squad together and add to it and already have the advantage of a proper preseason and home stadium too. Son won't be fucking off to Asia for a couple of months again and surely can't have as many injuries as last season either.

Our squad isn't perfect but if the new lads have good season I think we can potentially make a title challenge this season. I'm not saying I think we'll win it but could be a lot closer than we were last season.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Mate, I acknowledge his limitations I do and I maybe was rash adding Ratfishboy into the mix as he is one if the greatest even now at what he does.

Maybe I am a little rose tinted in looking at the Moose. I genuinely hope you are right and I am here fangirling over Ndom in 2 years time.

Poch himself commented on how much of a rare talent Mousa was. For me I think it was that I loved watching him do what he did, making world class players look like flailing mini roundabouts time after time.... your right more end product would have made him a Madrid player...

Anyways, that's all in the past and I hope the new kid and GLC can smash it.

Dembele and @Yid up a tree
K. I. S. S. I. N. G

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I wonder what all the ITK's are doing this week? Have they all got together under the same rock do you think?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I wonder what all the ITK's are doing this week? Have they all got together under the same rock do you think?
Taking a much-needed holiday after all their hard-hitting journalism during the PL window, Don.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Taking a much-needed holiday after all their hard-hitting journalism during the PL window, Don.
Ahh yes, you're probably right. I'm looking forward to some new 'insight' in January.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Not sure if it's reliable, but it's according to a Graeme Bailey, we offered Eriksen a contract that would make him the highest paid player at the club. He apparently turned it down. Supposedly now Atletico is most likely to move for him. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but this one stings a bit.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Not sure if it's reliable, but it's according to a Graeme Bailey, we offered Eriksen a contract that would make him the highest paid player at the club. He apparently turned it down. Supposedly now Atletico is most likely to move for him. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but this one stings a bit.
If that’s true he needs to go. I liked his attitude and professionalism on Saturday but if that’s real, he can’t be committed. Just a shame but as SAF proved no player is bigger than the club, also he doesnt appear to be making much of a fuss, which I applaud. Could be Modric 2 and Levy keeps him but that would mean no cash? Poch will have to build around Dele/Lo Celso/Son axis. We’ll be fine I hope. Shame though.