By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Vincent Janssen

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Spurs boss Pochettino: ‘Disappointed’ Janssen may be putting too much pressure on himself
14:16 20 October 2016

Ben Pearce

image.jpg

Vincent Janssen has scored one goal in six starts and 12 appearances for Tottenham

Mauricio Pochettino feels summer signing Vincent Janssen might be putting too much pressure on himself as he bids to end his dry run in front of goal, and the Tottenham manager says the Dutchman simply needs some encouragement and patience.

Janssen arrived from AZ Alkmaar for £17million to provide cover for Harry Kane – and the 22-year-old has quickly been thrust into the spotlight after Kane’s ankle injury last month.

Janssen has started five of Tottenham’s six games in Kane’s absence and has made 12 appearances for the Lilywhites in total, but he has only managed one goal - which came from the penalty spot in a 5-0 home win against League One outfit Gillingham in the League Cup – and has drawn a blank in his last four starts.

“He’s not frustrated, maybe a bit disappointed,” said Pochettino. “Striker always like to score, they’re always incomplete if they play well but don’t score - there’s always something missing and it’s always like this. But he’s happy.

“He wants to show that he has the quality to score and maybe he puts a lot of pressure on himself and thinks ‘I need to score, I need to score’ and in the end we need to calm him and say ‘yes, good, don’t worry. Keep working hard and keep going and in the end it’s sure you will score’.

“We need to give time to the youngsters. He’s young, he’s coming from the Netherlands and always the players that comes from outside need time.

“He’s a striker that brings different characteristics to the team but I’m happy with his behaviour, his professionalism and how he’s playing.

“It’s true we’d be happier if he scores, and him too, but it’s a normal process. The most important thing is that he’s always focused on trying to improve and is working hard and that’s the best way to try to arrive to score in the games.

“The same things happened sometimes in some periods with Harry. The important thing is he is settled in the team. He’s a very good professional and he works hard every day to try to score and play well.

“We are very happy with him. It’s only a natural process that he needs to go through, but it’s not a problem. He’s a good player, he was the top scorer in Netherlands and there’s no doubt about his quality.”

God I love our manager.

Janssen has been spot on for us since joining, he has absolutely no need to worry when the goals will start flowing, that will happen in good time.

Just keep doing what you're doing, Vincent.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
I love his effort, trying really hard to make things work. I just worry the hold up side of his game prevents him from being in a position to score. Is this how he played last season? I know people say it's only the dutch league blah blah blah but I'd like to see him in the box more. Always seems to receive the ball with his back.to goal. Is that his preference?

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I love his effort, trying really hard to make things work. I just worry the hold up side of his game prevents him from being in a position to score. Is this how he played last season? I know people say it's only the dutch league blah blah blah but I'd like to see him in the box more. Always seems to receive the ball with his back.to goal. Is that his preference?
I'm not if it's his [reference but we weren't exactly looking for through balls to him last night nor were we looking to beat the full backs and whip crosses in for him so not sure if it's his preference or his trying to play the teams system.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Poch today:
"We need to understand that he is 22, he has come in from a different league, and always we need to give time."
Sounds about right. I do think you might be on to something @Flump, it's hard for a player like him (who's a bit lacking in pace) to be both hold-up and an out and out striker. But he's a worker who actually seems to have a bit of technique as well, I have no doubts he'll figure it out.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Poch today:
"We need to understand that he is 22, he has come in from a different league, and always we need to give time."
Sounds about right. I do think you might be on to something @Flump, it's hard for a player like him (who's a bit lacking in pace) to be both hold-up and an out and out striker. But he's a worker who actually seems to have a bit of technique as well, I have no doubts he'll figure it out.
He actually found some good positions in the box between defenders or far post and our crossing let him down on every occasion,he even did the old kyle walker flappy bird a couple of times in frustration.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
He actually found some good positions in the box between defenders or far post and our crossing let him down on every occasion,he even did the old kyle walker flappy bird a couple of times in frustration.
I call it the "Robbie Keane."

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
I've been mighty impressed with Janssen so far. He holds the ball up like a monster, runs like a champ all game and generally looks a nuisance to deal with.

I'd like to see him stand slightly more side on in some instances rather than back directly to goal. He's got the size to force his way through defenses and get shots off.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I've been mighty impressed with Janssen so far. He holds the ball up like a monster, runs like a champ all game and generally looks a nuisance to deal with.

I'd like to see him stand slightly more side on in some instances rather than back directly to goal. He's got the size to force his way through defenses and get shots off.
he gives us something different,everyone moaned at defoe greedy bastard,always just shoots,now its janssen never shots passes too much.We really didnt need to buy a Kane V2.0,I think his style will suit Poch down to the ground,once he adds a few goals,he will look a better player in critics minds and more confidence from the man himself will help.
He still relatively inexperienced,in a new league,new players/coach,language give the guy a break,people writing him off after 3 months,just like they did poch,kane,lamela,dier,rose,walker,how did that turn out??

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
he gives us something different,everyone moaned at defoe greedy bastard,always just shoots,now its janssen never shots passes too much.We really didnt need to buy a Kane V2.0,I think his style will suit Poch down to the ground,once he adds a few goals,he will look a better player in critics minds and more confidence from the man himself will help.
He still relatively inexperienced,in a new league,new players/coach,language give the guy a break,people writing him off after 3 months,just like they did poch,kane,lamela,dier,rose,walker,how did that turn out??

100% agree he gives us an option B (lone striker) and C (himself and Kane). he's perfect against big old school defenders as they will drag him down like Leicester. I actually put a bet on our first goal being a pen in that match.

He could utilise his strength sometimes to stand slightly off back to goal to use his power to push through rather than lay off.... And I've no doubt he will once he settles.

I really like him and think he will be a monster.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Tottenham striker Vincent Janssen's difficult season continued on Wednesday night when he was forced off for Holland in the first half of their friendly with Belgium. Janssen collided with Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet twice in the game's first half hour, the second incident leaving him with a head injury that ended his evening.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Good player who will continue to build the more times he plays. Has a tremendous work ethic as well which will stand him in good stead.

Not at all concerned at this point.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
One article I read (couldn't find it to post) had the Dutch team saying he lost 20 minutes of memory due to the collision. He might be out for a couple weeks.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Tottenham Hotspur striker Vincent Janssen has confirmed that he is feeling okay, after he was taken off during Holland’s friendly match with Belgium last night.

Janssen collided nastily with Belgium and Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, and he suffered from short-term memory loss.

Mignolet messaged the Spurs striker on social media website Twitter this morning, to offer his best wishes.

And Janssen has now confirmed that the injury is not a particularly serious one, and that he has recovered well.
Janssen is likely to be fit for Tottenham’s next match against West Ham United, which comes in two weekends’ time, after the international break.

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
Well after yesterday's very poor performance by Janssen just a reminder what he can do. Maybe Poch ought to sit him down to watch these goals before a match. The guy is a first class poacher and can also do it outside the box.

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
He's been out injuried for 8 weeks with a total of 15 mins football before last night .i think the overreaction and completely writing a 23 year old off is fucking madness,everyone forgettting lamelas first season??

Nundy

Nundy

Founding Member
He's been out injuried for 8 weeks with a total of 15 mins football before last night .i think the overreaction and completely writing a 23 year old off is fucking madness,everyone forgettting lamelas first season??

whos Lamela again :)

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
I feel like going onto the other place, finding the numerous posts I wrote about Bobby and just copying and pasting them on here about Vincent tbh.
You just gotta admire his workrate, attitude and willingness to try and link up the play. He lost the ball on the edge of their box yesterday and chased back to the halfway line and won the ball back. Admirable. Look, like Bobby I think he's trying too hard to impress. he may not be lightning quick, but I'm pretty sure he has a strikers brain, a couple of yards in his head. I hope pochettino doesn't give up on him but good god he needs a goal.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I feel like going onto the other place, finding the numerous posts I wrote about Bobby and just copying and pasting them on here about Vincent tbh.
You just gotta admire his workrate, attitude and willingness to try and link up the play. He lost the ball on the edge of their box yesterday and chased back to the halfway line and won the ball back. Admirable. Look, like Bobby I think he's trying too hard to impress. he may not be lightning quick, but I'm pretty sure he has a strikers brain, a couple of yards in his head. I hope pochettino doesn't give up on him but good god he needs a goal.
I agree totally. We might have though that the Villa game would be the ideal opportunity, but with their 10 man defence and the lack of service into him (when he was in the right place) meant that was a difficult task. Who knows what might have happened if the Poch had kept him on with Dele and George Kevin? But then who would he have taken off? He probably could have taken Vorm off as they only had one shot on target.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
He has it all apart from the confidence, the serve and the positioning.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/08/vincent-janssen-tottenham-confidence

Everyone remembers what Vincent Janssen did in the second half of last season, not least Mauricio Pochettino. It was what persuaded the Tottenham Hotspur manager to take the centre-forward from AZ Alkmaar to White Hart Lane in a £17m deal. Janssen caught fire after the winter break in the Netherlands, scoring 21 goals in 17 league matches to help AZ to a fourth-place finish and qualification for the Europa League. It was form that catapulted him into the national team and on his first start, he scored a penalty in the 2-1 win over England at Wembley in March.

The 22-year-old finished the season with 27 league goals and the competition’s golden boot, plus three more in the Europa League and one in the Dutch Cup. Perhaps the most satisfying moment was the hat-trick he scored in the 4-2 home win over Feyenoord, the club that had released him from their youth system in 2013.

What are less well remembered about Janssen’s annus mirabilis are the difficulties he experienced in the first half of it. The early months, following his €100,000 move from Almere City in the second division were particularly trying. Although he scored twice in the Europa League, he failed to find the net in his first seven league games. On two occasions he was left out of the starting lineup.

It is no great stretch to see the parallel with his travails at Tottenham, even if they have seemed rather more grave. Janssen has scored only four goals for the club so far and all of them have been from penalties – in the EFL Cup against Gillingham and Liverpool; in the Premier League against Leicester City and in the FA Cup against Wycombe Wanderers. At times Pochettino has preferred Son Heung-min up front and at others he has left the Dutchman out of the matchday squad altogether.

Janssen’s confidence looks shot. Although his general play has sometimes been good, he has taken the safe option too regularly in the attacking third, the surest sign of a loss of self-belief. He continues to be dogged by the question of whether his lack of a burst of pace is a fatal flaw to his prospects in English football. The hope is that Janssen can find the spark as he did at AZ and make a contribution to the business end of Tottenham’s season, and as they fight for success on three fronts: the league, Europa League and FA Cup. This is the period in which the depth of a squad is crucial and when a manager needs his fringe players to step up.

Advertisement
Janssen’s initial drought at AZ was a mystery, especially as he had scored 10 goals for the club in pre-season. Fred Grim, the Holland assistant manager, was in charge of the nation’s under-21 team at the time and remembers watching Janssen closely. To Grim, who had also been Janssen’s manager at Almere, the problem was that the player had been too eager to make his mark. “At Almere, Vincent was always in early,” he says.

“He was always doing extra things – power training, sprint training, explosive training and, also, practising his finishing to make it easier to stay cool in the box. That was very important because he wanted it so, so much that, sometimes, he was a little bit wild [with his finishing].

“In the early days at AZ his family was important for him. His mother was a world champion swimmer, as you probably know. But when you work hard and you do every day what you have to do, then it will come. You have to be patient and, in that period at AZ, he was patient.

“I know Vincent and I know he wants to score the normal goals [in open play] for Tottenham. He wants to be important for the team and for the crowd. That’s what he wants and, yeah, maybe he wants it too much and then, that’s also a little problem. He has to find a balance.”

Pochettino has wondered whether Janssen’s chance in his starting XI, after the injury to Harry Kane in mid-September, might have come too soon while the manager has acknowledged – together with many others – how tough it can be for a young player to make the transition from Holland to the Premier League. It might have been preferable for Janssen to have moved first to Ajax, say, but AZ were demanding too high a fee.

There are several clubs in mainland Europe that are keeping a watch on Janssen’s situation, with a view to making a bid for him in the summer while Tottenham continue to be linked to the Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez, with whom Pochettino worked at St Mary’s. Pochettino, though, has also spoken of his admiration for Janssen’s application; how he continues to bust a gut in training and that is something guaranteed to play well with him. Pochettino says that players are paid to train.

Advertisement
Janssen is a fighter who did not wallow after his rejection by Feyenoord. Rather he redoubled his efforts at Almere, having made the decision to step back with the intention of then stepping further forward. Grim had scouted him and brought him to the club, where he watched him play and score regularly.

“What is important is to say that I have a lot of confidence in Vincent,” Grim says. “At Almere he also had a little period where it wasn’t going so well, even though he was playing really hard and doing a lot in games. His contract was ending and I extended it during a period when he was not in his best form. He needs confidence.”

Grim says Janssen remains a pivotal player for Holland – they travel to Bulgaria on 25 March for an important World Cup qualifying tie – but before then the question is can he drive an upturn in his fortunes at Tottenham?

“Of course, in England, you look to the goals but Vincent is always important for the team,” Grim says. “I have seen a lot of his games this season and he is giving pressure, running, pushing, always busy. At AZ he scored no goals at first – or only a few – and after the winter break he scored a lot. It will come for him at Tottenham. It will come. I know that, for sure.”

boo

boo

Founding Member
Vincent Janssen has vowed to prove his worth at Tottenham after his tough start to life in England.

"I have given myself 12 months to succeed in the Premier League with Tottenham. And those 12 months are not over yet. The level is really high here. Up until last week we were second in the league."

"Don't forget I had only played one season at the highest level in Holland when Spurs bought me from AZ Alkmaar. In a short period of time I have made some big steps forward in my career."

"I'm not going to throw the towel in just because things are not going great for the first time in my career. I am jumping to put the Spurs shirt on, but I will have to prove to the coach that I deserve to play."

"I was only told one hour before the game on Thursday that I had to sit in the stand, I was the 19th man. Obviously that message made me sad. But the manager makes the choices."

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Vincent Janssen has vowed to prove his worth at Tottenham after his tough start to life in England.

"I have given myself 12 months to succeed in the Premier League with Tottenham. And those 12 months are not over yet. The level is really high here. Up until last week we were second in the league."

"Don't forget I had only played one season at the highest level in Holland when Spurs bought me from AZ Alkmaar. In a short period of time I have made some big steps forward in my career."

"I'm not going to throw the towel in just because things are not going great for the first time in my career. I am jumping to put the Spurs shirt on, but I will have to prove to the coach that I deserve to play."

"I was only told one hour before the game on Thursday that I had to sit in the stand, I was the 19th man. Obviously that message made me sad. But the manager makes the choices."
forget his performances so far,I like his heart and attitude,he could easily hide,sulk and just walkaway saying nothing.Hope he comes good,and fans try and give him a lift up to get there.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
YAY! Vinny scored in open play today!! Finally!!

By the way, it has been cited that he bagged 27 League goals for AZ last season, hence why we splashed the cash on him.

However, despite playing fairly regularly for AZ, Janssen only had 6 league goals in 17 appearances up until January 16th (7 in 23 in all comps). He then smashed in another 21 goals in the remaining 17 league games, scoring in all but 3 games and bagging 2 hat-tricks including 1 against Feyenoord (who are a decent team in Holland) and 4 in 1 game against PEC Zwolle (who aren't as decent) ...

Ok, so we're into the 1st week of March rather than the 3rd week of Jan, but Vinny has been playing less regularly for Spurs and adjusting to a new country, new team, new League and a higher standard.

Until today, Vinny had 4 goals in 29 games (all competitions),although a vast majority of those games were brief, substitute appearances.

He showed the AZ fans last year how deadly he can be when he's been written off. Now he's finally bagged his 1st goal from open play for us (a fine finish too) let's see how he does. If he gets anywhere near his form at AZ after a difficult start, we'll be laughing!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
YAY! Vinny scored in open play today!! Finally!!

By the way, it has been cited that he bagged 27 League goals for AZ last season, hence why we splashed the cash on him.

However, despite playing fairly regularly for AZ, Janssen only had 6 league goals in 17 appearances up until January 16th (7 in 23 in all comps). He then smashed in another 21 goals in the remaining 17 league games, scoring in all but 3 games and bagging 2 hat-tricks including 1 against Feyenoord (who are a decent team in Holland) and 4 in 1 game against PEC Zwolle (who aren't as decent) ...

Ok, so we're into the 1st week of March rather than the 3rd week of Jan, but Vinny has been playing less regularly for Spurs and adjusting to a new country, new team, new League and a higher standard.

Until today, Vinny had 4 goals in 29 games (all competitions),although a vast majority of those games were brief, substitute appearances.

He showed the AZ fans last year how deadly he can be when he's been written off. Now he's finally bagged his 1st goal from open play for us (a fine finish too) let's see how he does. If he gets anywhere near his form at AZ after a difficult start, we'll be laughing!
We might need him too as well, Harry is going to out for a few weeks I reckon. Poch will probably play Son as first choice? We'll see.

Great reaction from the players and the crowd. The whole club is clearly absolutely delighted.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
The thing about Janssen is that he scores when he wants...

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
He will be fine, I have every confidence he will hit double figures by the end of the season.