By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Welcome Moussa Sissoko

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
CrODfKfXEAAYuzh.jpg

I think he will a quality addition to our squad and, hopefully, under Pochettino he'll produce his best, like in this video.

Yes please!

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I agree mate. If we can get consistency out of him he could be a real top signing.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Strong, quick, direct..... the end of Lamela as a winger maybe?

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Strong, quick, direct..... the end of Lamela as a winger maybe?
I know he has and can play out wide but I think he's coming in to play the dier/Dembele role same as Wanyama. When we played Dortmund last season we got ripped to pieces in the centre of the park without dier/Dembele so Bentaleb, Mason, out and Wanyama, Sissoko in represents good improvement for us.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Smash em up moussa V2.0
Def has the potential,lets hope he can listen to what Poch wants,it should make him a very good player for us if he can.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
I think he just couldn't be happier to have gotten out of Newcastle, and by the skin of his teeth too!

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
I'm not exactly a fan of this transfer but if indeed Poch wanted him that bad then why wait til the last 2 hours? Anyway, as with the other fella, I wait to be impressed. Good luck to him.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
I'm not exactly a fan of this transfer but if indeed Poch wanted him that bad then why wait til the last 2 hours? Anyway, as with the other fella, I wait to be impressed. Good luck to him.

The reason we waited so late was not so much whether we wanted the player, I'm fairly sure we've wanted Sissoko for a while this summer, but Newcastle's valuation. I guess we were hoping they would cave, but when Everton came in it forced our hand. We did have some other bits yesterday, N'Koudou and Lopez, which needed tying up first also.

Personally, given the structuring of the payments, I don't think £30m is too bad in this day and age. The Euros definitely hiked his price up, but for £30m we're getting a guy with over 130 Prem appearances, over 40 caps for France and a star performer from the summer's tournament. When you think what Palace wanted for Zaha, who has less Prem appearances, about 1 or 2 caps and never gone to a tournament, £30m spread over 5 years isn't that bad. As I said elsewhere, I assume we'll invest that money rather than have it sit in a bank, and you can generate a healthy income and capital investing £6m per year over 5 years.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
Also, this guy got 7 assists in the Prem last season, 7 quality assists from midfield, in a team which could not score goals and got relegated! Imagine if he had had Harry Kane in the box!

Great video of him. Watching this def makes me excited to see him in Lilywhite:

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The reason we waited so late was not so much whether we wanted the player, I'm fairly sure we've wanted Sissoko for a while this summer, but Newcastle's valuation. I guess we were hoping they would cave, but when Everton came in it forced our hand. We did have some other bits yesterday, N'Koudou and Lopez, which needed tying up first also.

Personally, given the structuring of the payments, I don't think £30m is too bad in this day and age. The Euros definitely hiked his price up, but for £30m we're getting a guy with over 130 Prem appearances, over 40 caps for France and a star performer from the summer's tournament. When you think what Palace wanted for Zaha, who has less Prem appearances, about 1 or 2 caps and never gone to a tournament, £30m spread over 5 years isn't that bad. As I said elsewhere, I assume we'll invest that money rather than have it sit in a bank, and you can generate a healthy income and capital investing £6m per year over 5 years.
seen figures quoted that for townsend,yedlin they owe us 17m still,so its a bit like part exchange with a bit of cash

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Welcome Moussa, I hope this turns out to be a great buy and he has the work ethic to go with the £30m we paid for him. Could be a brilliant purchase or one that never really works out....we'll see, I wish him good luck for himself, us and the team.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member

I agree the money isn't an issue. Makes me laugh when fans get so uptight over transfer fees like it's their money that's being spent frivolously. There's lots of bad press about his attitude, which is what makes me slightly sceptical. But until I see evidence of that he'll have my support. He's certainly got pace and power which is something we desperately need.

Flump

Flump

Founding Member
Also, this guy got 7 assists in the Prem last season, 7 quality assists from midfield, in a team which could not score goals and got relegated! Imagine if he had had Harry Kane in the box!

Great video of him. Watching this def makes me excited to see him in Lilywhite:

If we get that and more then I'll be very happy too. Power and direct, just what we need. Looks great.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
He might turn out to be our own Paul Pogba?

With the additions of Janssen, Wanyama, N'Koudou and Sissoko we are probably now much stronger than Bentaleb, Mason, Chadli and N'Jie.

It will also mean that Eriksen, Lamela, Dele Alli, Dembele and Kane all have pressure on their positions which, using the Danny Rose example, might force them to up their game even further, whilst the new signings will also strive to get first team action.

We might not realise it right now but assuming everyone performs to their best, Levy and Poch could have pulled off a master stroke....we'll see, but at least we now have good cover again in every position, which will stand us good stead for a tough season.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
I agree the money isn't an issue. Makes me laugh when fans get so uptight over transfer fees like it's their money that's being spent frivolously. There's lots of bad press about his attitude, which is what makes me slightly sceptical. But until I see evidence of that he'll have my support. He's certainly got pace and power which is something we desperately need.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of that press, and heard Merson giving him both barrels (which actually makes me like Sissoko more, lol).

I think it's a little unfair. Newcastle have been an utter mess for several years now. We all recall the 'attitude' of some of our players when AVB was struggling, then Timbo came in, then got sacked. The club looked like it had no direction, and players with their short careers HATE that. Sissoko has been stuck in Newcastle and their troubles have obviously effected him.

However, we are used to seeing unhappy players down tools and throw their toys out the pram, but Sissoko kept playing for Newcastle, and his stats are pretty decent. He didn't score much last season, and usually guarantees about 4 goals a season from midfield, but his assists are up there as usual. So, he played unlike some players when they're having a strop, but Newcastle's problems seem to have been projected onto him because he, like everyone in that team, wasn't playing well. But that only says to me how good everyone knows he can be.

He wanted to leave last summer after Newcastle's problems, and nobody was moaning about him them. In fact, they liked him so much they were determined not to sell, but by clinging onto a player who cost them just £1.5m without sorting out their troubles in the dressing room was always going to backfire and they were never going to see Sissoko playing his best football.

When Rafa arrived, Sissoko immediately started playing, but the damage had been done and that only seemed to upset the Geordies more because they did not know where that player had been all season.

I get that, I would probably have been just the same. I hated Vertonghen when his grumpus attitude appeared to effect our dressing room, and certainly his game, a few years back, but now look at him. It's much easier to be pragmatic when viewing these things from the outside, and rather than blame a player (which will always happen) you sometimes have to look a little deeper. Newcastle's problems last season were not caused by Sissoko, but with his poor performances (then compounded by his quality performances at the end of the season when it was too late and at the Euros) and desire to leave the club, he made himself an easy target.

He won't have those issues at Spurs and Poch won't allow him to get stroppy and dip his performances anyway. We're stable now, even when we weren't we were better than Newcastle, and in the Champions League. My slight concern is that Sissoko will want to play and, when Dembele is back, he may not get the games he wants with Dier and Wanyama also competing. I guess that's for Poch to manage tho, and players will have injuries and dips in form, so I think they'll all get games. Sissoko can play right across the pitch too.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.
If we get that and more then I'll be very happy too. Power and direct, just what we need. Looks great.

That was a fairly good video for showing that he can actually play a well-rounded game. Some of the other videos I've seen of him mostly concentrate on his running but that video showed a variety in his game that seems fairly promising seeing as we've signed two guys who bring pace and strength in comparison to Clinton who had pace but not that same power and doesn't have the same first touch or close control as either Sissoko or N'Koudou. With the signing of Wanyama and Sissoko our central midfield options look a lot better, especially if Winks keeps progressing to be a good all round option.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
So, according to the Evening Standard (who do have close ties to Spurs) the deal for Sissoko is designed so that we pay Newcastle £6m per year over 5 years with Sissoko signing a 5 year contract (as we knew) but also that those payments are only valid so long as he remains at Spurs. It is almost as if we've agreed 5 summer transfers for Sissoko from Newcastle, each costing £6m.

If we sell Sissoko next summer, he'd actually cost us just £6m. Does that create an incentive to sell him? Perhaps. Certainly if he has a cracking season and someone offers £20m for him next summer, that not only means we save £24m in payments, but earn £14m in profit on top. Financially, for a 28 year old, that may be too much for Levy to turn down.

It's clearly Levy's way of justifying such a large fee for a 27 year old. He may well have "sell-on value" after all!

Last edited:
Flump

Flump

Founding Member
I'm not dismissing that information in the slightest but does that deal make any sense whatsoever for Newcastle. Even if we kept him for 2 seasons we would probably still return a small profit. What a weird deal.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I'm not dismissing that information in the slightest but does that deal make any sense whatsoever for Newcastle. Even if we kept him for 2 seasons we would probably still return a small profit. What a weird deal.
I guess its tied to the yedlin/townsend payments as well??who knows.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
From BBC
Transfer deadline day is great, isn't it? According to him, while reports were stating that he'd signed for Everton, new Spurs midfielder Moussa Sissoko was sat laughing at the TV.

“I never went to Everton,” he told L'Equipe.

“It’s funny. I was watching TV, and I saw that a deal had been done with Everton and that I had signed for them.

“But I was in London, waiting to sign my contract [with Spurs]."

He duly signed that contract with Tottenham, to transfer from Newcastle for £30m. Presumably he went back home to watch himself signing the contract on TV again afterwards.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-2_13-41-47.gif
    upload_2016-9-2_13-41-47.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 396
B

Basskadet

Founding Member

It is a strange deal for sure, and rather than being odd for Newcastle, it hardly protects the player. We actually have a huge incentive to sell Sissoko now, and the better he plays its almost like the more we will sell!

I am confident the report is correct, the Standard are pretty good when it comes to details on contracts with London clubs, but I suspect the deal could be even more complicated, with some sort of decreasing sell-on fee (I.e. if sold after 1 summer, Newcastle get something ridiculous like 70%, the summer after they get 50% of the fee, after that they get 30% and so on. That would make a bit more sense but doesn't half make it confusing!

1 thing that looks certain, it may say £30m on the deal, but there's no way he's cost that much and, so far, he has only cost £6m, which doesn't even cover Newcastle's debt to us, lol.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
It's a Levy deal.....we haven't paid £30m for sure. He's got a load of money for Yedlin and Townsend and the rest will be paid over 5 years subject to X, Y, and Z. He'll turn out to be brilliant and we'll sell him for £40m in three years time when he's 30.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
It's a Levy deal.....we haven't paid £30m for sure. He's got a load of money for Yedlin and Townsend and the rest will be paid over 5 years subject to X, Y, and Z. He'll turn out to be brilliant and we'll sell him for £40m in three years time when he's 30.
Lets face it,all these facts and figures about fees,wages are sensationalised in the media,with upper end guesstimates published,only a month ago eriksen was leaving cos he wanted 150k a week when now they all say he is signing for 70k next week.Most national journos are lying,clickbait collecting twunts or in piers morgans case a cunt.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Steady debut.

Looking forward to him getting in his stride nd getting up to speed with our tempo.

Hel need to do that..... when we start doing it again.

Ted the Yid

Ted the Yid

Founding Member
Thoughts on Sissoko so far? I think he has slotted in quickly, giving a few glimpses of some tidy football and looks a really asset to the squad. Something different to what we had.

B

Basskadet

Founding Member
I totally agree, he's looked pretty good and seems to have fitted in well amongst the rest of the team. He's strong and quick and has a bit of everything and, whilst he's frustrated a little on occasion, he's still not fully match fit given this was his 1st 90min of league football in AGES - there's MUCH more to come from him for sure.

Could easily have had a couple goals for himself already too!

LakewoodSpur

LakewoodSpur

Founding Member
I've been impressed every bit as much with his willingness and effort to track back and support as I am with his attacking work. I have a Newcastle friend who said he didn't see this kind of effort from Sissoko up there (that may be a bit harsh from a frustrated NUFC fan, I don't know). I agree with @Basskadet that he'll become more effective as he gets match fit.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Looks like a good buy...almost a bit Mousa Dembele but farther forward, seems to have settled in well and not afraid to shoot. definitely added to the overall strength of the squad and has top level international experience.

At one point on Sunday I remember the commentator saying that there were only two players that hadn't had a shot...Hugo and Jan, impressive stuff.