By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Bale - would you have him back?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
This was in the click bait media today.....which begs the question would we have him back, if we could afford it. Let's also assume that Poch, the new training regime, and medical staff at Spurs would keep him fit most of the time...Brilliant player, and I think Poch would get even more out of him because Poch would be the best coach he's ever had. He's only 28 so......

Real Madrid have lowered their asking price for winger Gareth Bale after the Welshman’s injury-ridden start to the season. Bale, 28, was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United last summer but Madrid failed to sign Monaco ace Kylian Mbappe and opted to stick with the Wales international.

The forward became the most expensive player in the world when he moved to the Bernabeu for £87.5million in 2013 but injuries have tormented his time in Spain.

Bale has played just nine of Madrid’s 19 matches this term and was on course for a return later this month from his latest calf injury. However, Bale suffered a setback earlier this week and his return has been postponed by a month.

854249166.jpg

Jose Mourinho was heavily interested in Bale last summer and United would have been willing to break the £100m barrier to sign the former Spurs man. Madrid are now said to be regretting their decision to stick with Bale and have lost patience with him following his latest injury setback, according to AS.

That has seen Los Blancos drop their asking price for Bale and they believe they could only recoup around £62-69m if he were to be sold next summer. While that’s a considerable drop on Bale’s value last summer, Madrid are likely to still see value in the deal for a player that’s missed nearly 60% of matches since moving to Spain.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
No, I don't do going back. Mrs D always likes to revisit places we used to live, I fucking hate that, when I move on I move on, all bridges are burned, all eggs are put into one basket and smashed to fuck with a hammer.

Players 'coming home' never seems to work, Bale suffers too many injuries these days, he would demand even more money than Hissing Sid and the pressure on him to be the big bollocked Johnny big bollocks would be huge. If they want to send him to us on a free loan basis for a season, and for them to pay his wages then maybe there's a spot for him on the bench.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
No, I don't do going back. Mrs D always likes to revisit places we used to live, I fucking hate that, when I move on I move on, all bridges are burned, all eggs are put into one basket and smashed to fuck with a hammer.

Players 'coming home' never seems to work, Bale suffers too many injuries these days, he would demand even more money than Hissing Sid and the pressure on him to be the big bollocked Johnny big bollocks would be huge. If they want to send him to us on a free loan basis for a season, and for them to pay his wages then maybe there's a spot for him on the bench.
I didn't want him back because of his injury-prone nature, potential wages and overall harmony of the squad (in my fluffy Spurs dream world I like to think of the current squad as a 'band of brothers' that are a unit evolving together. The reality is almost certainly 100% different) but if Poch wants him and he can integrate, and he has the potential to be the difference between us and City (injury free) which I think he has. Then Yep I'd have him back. It's an awful lot of 'if's and but's and again almost certainly wouldn't happen, because we're never going to pay him £200k+ a week.

Returning hero's - JD and Sheringham, worked out pretty well?

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
yes but only if its not mega money.....less than £30m and £100k a week

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Cant see it,united will offer the going wages&fee,Levy wont,and cant see Poch upsetting the apple cart by risking it all for a has been earning way too much in comparison to our guys.
If fee was cheap and he wants to earn same as Harry then yeah I`d have him,easy to say that cos it`ll never happen.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Thinking on it,if we were to spend +£40m and offer +£100k in wages,could we buy better??In terms of resale on the investment yes,in terms of raising our profile worldwise probably no,quality of playerwise?well he is or was a top talent,injuries and lack of game time make it a bit of an unknown in how he is today,anyone care to throw some names into the hat instead of Bale?excuse the pun but "tottenham`s missing link"....

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Thinking on it,if we were to spend +£40m and offer +£100k in wages,could we buy better??In terms of resale on the investment yes,in terms of raising our profile worldwise probably no,quality of playerwise?well he is or was a top talent,injuries and lack of game time make it a bit of an unknown in how he is today,anyone care to throw some names into the hat instead of Bale?excuse the pun but "tottenham`s missing link"....
It's a tough question. We need someone who is a playmaker and can score goals like that Danish bloke wot got the hat-trick yesterday. I can't think of anybody, maybe that £40m and £100k per week could be bunged at the other players to make sure they stay? I am not too concerned about buying players at the moment, when we are firing on all cylinders we can beat anyone with the blokes we already have, but I am worried that some of the less committed players could easily be tempted by huge salary increases. Wages are mental, but that's what they are and we absolutely need to hold onto our players, just losing 2 or 3 could give us bottom pain of a severe nature.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I don't know enough about players, agents, salaries, contracts etc. etc. and I don't know how much truth there is in the stuff we all read, probably not much until a deal is done and even then no more than 50%.

What I do know is that over the past 6-7 years we seem to have been on a steepish upward curve, most recently through Pochettino's management (personnel and tactical) and recruiting players that Danny Rose and I have had to Google - Davinson Sanchez and Sege Aurier being the most recent examples, together with bringing our own through the academy. Since £40m and £100k a week is probably our current very top ceiling, I reckon that is only going to get you a well known player that has already peaked. The current transfers and wages are unsustainable in the long run, without a Sheik or a bent Billionnaire.

I'm all for the continuance of £25m players and £75k a week and watching the missing links develop. People keep saying that if we had a Pogba or a Bale, or a Messi or a De Bruyne or a well name someone famous and that will do....a what? a Dele Alli, a Harry Kane, an Eric Dier, A Toby or Jan, or how about an Eriksen....?? they'd all walk into almost every other top European team, hence the recent survey about our squad value.

I think we just need to win something now, it's not a missing link it's a missing trophy and the floodgates will open for the next 3-4 years. The Carabao Cup even. We're undoubtedly better than Liverpool now, Arsenal as well, and at least on a par with Chelsea and United up to last season (remember we beat Chelsea 2-0 at the Lane). I think we're as good as City when we're all fit, so I don't know who the missing link is at the sums quoted. I'd pay that for a guru of medicine and to have a fully fit squad every week.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I don't know enough about players, agents, salaries, contracts etc. etc. and I don't know how much truth there is in the stuff we all read, probably not much until a deal is done and even then no more than 50%.

What I do know is that over the past 6-7 years we seem to have been on a steepish upward curve, most recently through Pochettino's management (personnel and tactical) and recruiting players that Danny Rose and I have had to Google - Davinson Sanchez and Sege Aurier being the most recent examples, together with bringing our own through the academy. Since £40m and £100k a week is probably our current very top ceiling, I reckon that is only going to get you a well known player that has already peaked. The current transfers and wages are unsustainable in the long run, without a Sheik or a bent Billionnaire.

I'm all for the continuance of £25m players and £75k a week and watching the missing links develop. People keep saying that if we had a Pogba or a Bale, or a Messi or a De Bruyne or a well name someone famous and that will do....a what? a Dele Alli, a Harry Kane, an Eric Dier, A Toby or Jan, or how about an Eriksen....?? they'd all walk into almost every other top European team, hence the recent survey about our squad value.

I think we just need to win something now, it's not a missing link it's a missing trophy and the floodgates will open for the next 3-4 years. The Carabao Cup even. We're undoubtedly better than Liverpool now, Arsenal as well, and at least on a par with Chelsea and United up to last season (remember we beat Chelsea 2-0 at the Lane). I think we're as good as City when we're all fit, so I don't know who the missing link is at the sums quoted. I'd pay that for a guru of medicine and to have a fully fit squad every week.
maybe martial or rashford before jose ruins them.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
YES of course......how stupid of me, young black French speedy left winger.....that is the missing link and has been for the past 3 seasons!!

:D
ahaha but his surname begins not with N ;)

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Nah not for me... he's double mustard when fit... we got shot at the right time imo.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Lose the man bun and I might consider taking him back. Might.

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Rumour has it we have had a £53m rejected! They probably owe us more than that

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Yes. I truely believe he would rediscover his form coming ‘home’ to us. Also, what a signing to partner with the new stadium.

As long as non of our current squad are part of the deal.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'd be willing to take a risk on him and take him back as a fit Bale is exactly the quality of player that takes us to the next level. There are of course many questions being asked about his fitness and rightly so but it seems a lot of his injuries stem from rushing back for Wales or for big Madrid games. I think a well prepared summer under Poch and not being being over worked when not needed would see him play 60-70% of our games that matter and that could be the difference between 2nd/3rd place and 1st. He has won more champions league trophies than we can dream of, that type of experience would be a bloody dream in our changing room plus I think having a player come from Real to Spurs would make the already high achieving and well performing players look to impress the new arrival and keep him out of the team. Of course there is a risk with the transfer but there is with any and if this season at Real continues the way it has been his value will most likely drop further. Assuming a few of the other top lads at THFC get a pay rise this season or next summer at the latest I don't see a prob;em with paying him 125-150k a week, sounds crazy but with the mega money available in the league, the NFL money we'll be getting then, and the stadium sponsorship money means we are gonna be able to afford this, if we qualify for the CL for a third year in a row which I expect us too (bloody expecting CL at spurs hey!) then it's really not an issue at all. He might sell a shirt or two as well, no not him working in the shop selling just loads of cunts wanting Bale on the back.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Yes. I truely believe he would rediscover his form coming ‘home’ to us. Also, what a signing to partner with the new stadium.

As long as non of our current squad are part of the deal.
Agree with this mate, non of our players going the other way.

OK they can have Sissoko, he may be better than last season but he's still average at best.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
The Bale of 3 years ago, absolutely, if he was playing with this team, he'd never have wanted to leave , and we'd have stormed the league the last two seasons......now he's injury prone , so no I don't think so

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I'd be willing to take a risk on him and take him back as a fit Bale is exactly the quality of player that takes us to the next level. There are of course many questions being asked about his fitness and rightly so but it seems a lot of his injuries stem from rushing back for Wales or for big Madrid games. I think a well prepared summer under Poch and not being being over worked when not needed would see him play 60-70% of our games that matter and that could be the difference between 2nd/3rd place and 1st. He has won more champions league trophies than we can dream of, that type of experience would be a bloody dream in our changing room plus I think having a player come from Real to Spurs would make the already high achieving and well performing players look to impress the new arrival and keep him out of the team. Of course there is a risk with the transfer but there is with any and if this season at Real continues the way it has been his value will most likely drop further. Assuming a few of the other top lads at THFC get a pay rise this season or next summer at the latest I don't see a prob;em with paying him 125-150k a week, sounds crazy but with the mega money available in the league, the NFL money we'll be getting then, and the stadium sponsorship money means we are gonna be able to afford this, if we qualify for the CL for a third year in a row which I expect us too (bloody expecting CL at spurs hey!) then it's really not an issue at all. He might sell a shirt or two as well, no not him working in the shop selling just loads of cunts wanting Bale on the back.
Problem is that he's likely earning £250k + week at the moment and that's more than double Kane's wages. That wouldn't work in the dressing room?

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Problem is that he's likely earning £250k + week at the moment and that's more than double Kane's wages. That wouldn't work in the dressing room?
No it wouldn't if we attempted to pay him that much. But if other have had a rise (Kane, Dele, Toby, Eriksen, etc) and he comes down to more like 125-150 plus add on's I don't think it'll be an issue really. If Real don't want him he's got a big decision to make in regards to getting his career back on track and depending who's in for him I think we'd be a one of the front runners. Players that want to rebuild their career tend to not be as botherd about money as when they're the big gun that everyone is willing to pay big bucks for. In his current state I can't see many bigger clubs than us being in for him and if they are would they be the best place for him to get back to his best....Obviously all hypothetical at the moment but surely after winning everything he can at Madrid and earning a million euros a month for long enough he'd want to enjoy football again as he hasn't looked like he's enjoying himself for quite a while other than the Euro's with Wales. Being closer to his family and being happy I would think is going to be a big thing for him if he moves on,I'm guessing of course....

Last edited:
J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I can't see it myself. Theres no way we'd pay either the fee or the wages that would be required to make this happen. I'd rather see us plow millions into upping the pay packets of the boys we already have than going after someone like Bale.

wilson

wilson

Player in Training.
I'd love him back in fantasy world and would bite their hand off. In reality, he's injured more than he's fit and we can't afford him - the transfer fee and wages would be better off spent improving the wages of the stars we already have in our team. I doubt he'd actually want to come back either..

Fantasy - Bale's injury-free, costs £30m and will be on £100k a week.

Reality - Bale's injury-prone, costs £50m+ and will be on £200k+ a week.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'd love him back in fantasy world and would bite their hand off. In reality, he's injured more than he's fit and we can't afford him - the transfer fee and wages would be better off spent improving the wages of the stars we already have in our team. I doubt he'd actually want to come back either..

Fantasy - Bale's injury-free, costs £30m and will be on £100k a week.

Reality - Bale's injury-prone, costs £50m+ and will be on £200k+ a week.
Great points @wilson. I think we'd all take the Bale we sold back, I know I would and I'd take the Bale that is on potential offer right now back but the circumstances would have to be right. It'd most likely be a complicated deal for us to make.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
He'll go to United and play half a season on 200+k a year...

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Bale is a class act. I watched him a while ago. Must have had one game before he got injured again lol but he looked lethal.

I remember yonks ago though a doctor mentioning having checked Bale out on his way to Madrid and pointing to something wrong with his lower back that would eventually haunt him. Madrid however needed a marquee signing and went ahead with the transfer as it was an ifs and buts situation. Kinda like that Ba fella we wouldn't sign cause of his knee.

I don't think it'll ever be something he will shake off as he is a blood and thunder player. Powerful runs and what not, so those hammies are always under massive strain.

Would he be a cool signing if fit. Absolutely, although I don't actually think we need him. He could score 20 odd goals, but so could son, alli and Eriksen could assist 20. In reality we would more than likely be buying a sicknote though.

Tbh I'd rather find a banging replacement for dembele if he is gonna have hip problems.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Tbh I'd rather find a banging replacement for dembele if he is gonna have hip problems.
Lol.... did you just suggest there is another player like Dembele... I'd love to see that.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
In a heartbeat at less than 50M and 130K per week...if our medicos can get him properly fit.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Lol.... did you just suggest there is another player like Dembele... I'd love to see that.

Absolutely not, but eventually we will need to replace him in some way!

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Absolutely not, but eventually we will need to replace him in some way!
Although both very different players to Dembele there is half a chance his long term succesor could be Winks or dsre I say Onomah if he comes back on good form, although Onomahis more of a long shot.