By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Erik Lamela

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Depending on who you believe in the press (yukk yukk),Erik is either close to signing a new deal or demanding a double his money ultimation (£120k pw).

London Evening Standard state Tottenham Hotspur are close to agreeing a new contract with Erik Lamela
CsGin2hWYAAK9Ab.jpg

ESPN UK ‏@ESPNUK 4h4 hours ago
Have Erik Lamela's wage demands edged him closer to a Spurs exit?

Tottenham's Erik Lamela wants DOUBLE his current wage to join their new-contract club #THFC http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-erik-lamela-wants-double-8814578 …

The mirror didnt answer my question was that 120k like eriksens 150k.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I don't think he'll be asking daft amounts of money just yet. A steady increase most likely and he'll sign.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
He'll get about £75k a week like everyone else I would imagine....squad unity and all that.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The Lamela conundrum........about to be a brilliant match winner or will always have a liability in his game?

I have to confess I like Erik, but I also find him incredibly frustrating. he clearly has a lot of talent and regularly appears instrumental as part of the creative front 4 or 5 with Eriksen, Alli, Son and Kane, together with his good pressing, work rate and defensive duties but he also gives the ball away a lot in dangerous areas - Monaco, City etc. and I find the fact that he apparently won't improve his right foot ability incredibly annoying at such a high level of football. It literally stops him taking a shot and takes about 40% away from his game...compare him with Son and Harry for example, who are reasonably confident with both feet.

So what to do when everyone is fit? Is Lamela integral to the teams success? I'm not sure. Shane Sutton former British cycling coach and guru and plain speaking Australian said a while back that he couldn't understand why some footballers were so one footed....he would train them so they were equally competant with both feet, thus dramatically improving their worth and effectiveness for the team. I agree with him.

Would Erik get in your Spurs best XI currently? Poch seems to favour him and he started the season well. But with a Dembele fully fit and Son banging in the goals, does Erik command a place? probably not for me at present....If we were playing Arsenal on Saturday with a fully fit squad and I was the manager my team would be:

Lloris
Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose
Dier, Dembele
Son, Dele, Eriksen
Kane

when you consider that lot doesn't include Vorm,Trippier, Davies, Wimmer, Wanyama, Lamela, Sissoko and Janssen, we're in a very good place.

But for Erik to start he needs to cut out the giving the ball away bit and improve his right foot to be up there with the best at Spurs.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
The Lamela conundrum........about to be a brilliant match winner or will always have a liability in his game?

I have to confess I like Erik, but I also find him incredibly frustrating. he clearly has a lot of talent and regularly appears instrumental as part of the creative front 4 or 5 with Eriksen, Alli, Son and Kane, together with his good pressing, work rate and defensive duties but he also gives the ball away a lot in dangerous areas - Monaco, City etc. and I find the fact that he apparently won't improve his right foot ability incredibly annoying at such a high level of football. It literally stops him taking a shot and takes about 40% away from his game...compare him with Son and Harry for example, who are reasonably confident with both feet.

So what to do when everyone is fit? Is Lamela integral to the teams success? I'm not sure. Shane Sutton former British cycling coach and guru and plain speaking Australian said a while back that he couldn't understand why some footballers were so one footed....he would train them so they were equally competant with both feet, thus dramatically improving their worth and effectiveness for the team. I agree with him.

Would Erik get in your Spurs best XI currently? Poch seems to favour him and he started the season well. But with a Dembele fully fit and Son banging in the goals, does Erik command a place? probably not for me at present....If we were playing Arsenal on Saturday with a fully fit squad and I was the manager my team would be:

Lloris
Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose
Dier, Dembele
Son, Dele, Eriksen
Kane

when you consider that lot doesn't include Vorm,Trippier, Davies, Wimmer, Wanyama, Lamela, Sissoko and Janssen, we're in a very good place.

But for Erik to start he needs to cut out the giving the ball away bit and improve his right foot to be up there with the best at Spurs.
I agree with what you say here although on current form I'd play Wanyama ahead of Dier but that's solely based on Wanyama having a good few games under his belt and Dier not hitting his stride yet and is in no way a knock in Dier's ability.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I agree with what you say here although on current form I'd play Wanyama ahead of Dier but that's solely based on Wanyama having a good few games under his belt and Dier not hitting his stride yet and is in no way a knock in Dier's ability.
Yep, an on form Dier is a beast, but Wanyama is better at the moment. Our standards are of course very, very high and the Poch bless his little Argy socks will play the bloke in form, Eric D will regain his form very shortly.

Erik L makes me smile, he is like a wasp with a hammer when he goes hunting for the ball, yeah he can get captured by the ref but better that than being a Paulinho eh? When he is good he is astounding, when he is not then it proves that our players are human beans and have bad days just like everyone.

I reckon there is a big place in our squad for Lamella's style of play, we have a superb cross section of midfielders the moment and it would be boring and useless if they all brought the same qualities onto the pitch. Lamella snapping at Costa in a chavs game is perfick! Wind the cunt up and hope that the ref's guide dog signals Dastardly Diego's reactions. He might not be so useful in a more tactical type of game against a meek side like Burnley? If the numpties would forget the price tag, that is a gone and done and finished thing, it don't not no way matter a teensy teensy bit now does it? If we had paid £5m for him they would be sating he was bargain of the century. The money paid for players is irrelevant. Levy has trousered zillions over the last 10 years and the transfer funds biscuit tin must be bursting at the seams. Forget the fee and ask if Lamela is a proper top player - yeah!

Same thing goes for Sissoko and Janssen, there is far too much moaning about how much 'we' paid. We paid fuck all, the fat-cats who own THFC have actually made money on transfers recently, a truly amazing feat - and so any players we buy in for a few years will in real terms have cost fuck bleeding all, 'we' wouldn't reap any benefits from this financial wizardry of course and in any case the TV money pays for most of the transfer market at the moment so I don't get why folks have rot beat on about how player x,y,z is not with the money. It's just monopoly money, it's not real. We have got lucky and found a potential legend of a manager who does not need masses of this pretend money spent, he has chosen the players he wants and that includes Lamela, Sissoko and Janssen, so they'll do for me! COYP!

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
I'm always thinking Lamela is just one tackle away from a red card. Yes, he has had loads of yellows but from memory I cannot recall any reds. Or am I having a Greavsie Yid moment?

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
I'm always thinking Lamela is just one tackle away from a red card. Yes, he has had loads of yellows but from memory I cannot recall any reds. Or am I having a Greavsie Yid moment?
I can't remember him getting sent off at all mate.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
It's astounding mate, I just looked on Transfermarkt and apparently Erik has had just ONE red card in his entire career, that was back in 2011/12 in the Copa Italia, he hasn't not never had a second yellow either in any competition, club or division - ever. 223 games, 44 goals, 1 red card, 37 yellows. Who'd a thought it eh? Blimey, I'd have lost money in a pub bet on that one.

Last edited:
ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.
It's astounding mate, I just looked on Transfermarkt and apparently Erik has had just ONE red card in his entire career, that was back in 2011/12 in the Copa Italia, he hasn't not never had a second yellow either in any competition, club or division - ever. 223 games, 44 goals, 1 red card, 37 yellows. Who'd a thought it eh? Blimey, I'd have lost many in a pub bet on that one.
Cheers, Dorset for that info. You watch he will get sent off against Leicester now we have found that stat. Who would have thought it? I'm always on the edge of my seat, well I would be if we sat down in the Park Lane, whenever he goes in for a crazy tackle.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Yep, an on form Dier is a beast, but Wanyama is better at the moment. Our standards are of course very, very high and the Poch bless his little Argy socks will play the bloke in form, Eric D will regain his form very shortly.

Erik L makes me smile, he is like a wasp with a hammer when he goes hunting for the ball, yeah he can get captured by the ref but better that than being a Paulinho eh? When he is good he is astounding, when he is not then it proves that our players are human beans and have bad days just like everyone.

I reckon there is a big place in our squad for Lamella's style of play, we have a superb cross section of midfielders the moment and it would be boring and useless if they all brought the same qualities onto the pitch. Lamella snapping at Costa in a chavs game is perfick! Wind the cunt up and hope that the ref's guide dog signals Dastardly Diego's reactions. He might not be so useful in a more tactical type of game against a meek side like Burnley? If the numpties would forget the price tag, that is a gone and done and finished thing, it don't not no way matter a teensy teensy bit now does it? If we had paid £5m for him they would be sating he was bargain of the century. The money paid for players is irrelevant. Levy has trousered zillions over the last 10 years and the transfer funds biscuit tin must be bursting at the seams. Forget the fee and ask if Lamela is a proper top player - yeah!

Same thing goes for Sissoko and Janssen, there is far too much moaning about how much 'we' paid. We paid fuck all, the fat-cats who own THFC have actually made money on transfers recently, a truly amazing feat - and so any players we buy in for a few years will in real terms have cost fuck bleeding all, 'we' wouldn't reap any benefits from this financial wizardry of course and in any case the TV money pays for most of the transfer market at the moment so I don't get why folks have rot beat on about how player x,y,z is not with the money. It's just monopoly money, it's not real. We have got lucky and found a potential legend of a manager who does not need masses of this pretend money spent, he has chosen the players he wants and that includes Lamela, Sissoko and Janssen, so they'll do for me! COYP!
Yeah judging players based on their transfer fee is silly because as you say it's really irrelevant to us as fans. Look at Janssen, for example. We spent a fair bit of cash on him, enough that the media and some fans will say he's a failure if he doesn't score X amount of goals. But for me, if he plays consistently throughout the season, takes a bit of the load off of Harry (as he's already done imo) and gives us a viable option late in games to shake things up, he's a success, because he's done what the club needed.

Same for Lamela. I think he frustrates us all sometimes--and I'll admit I see him as a bit of a weak link from time to time--but fact is he's an integral part of a very good Spurs team, and was a big part of our successes last season. Period.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Erik Lamela feels Tottenham's point at Arsenal has them back on track.

And Lamela believes Tottenham's mentality has changed during Mauricio Pochettino's tenure.

"The team has changed a lot, we changed a lot of players and - honestly - we changed the mentality," he told JD Football.

"We want to win every game and we know we can win - this is important.

"I feel really happy here - we are very united. We help each other every day and we show it on the pitch."

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Please can you score some goals now Erik, learn to use your right foot a bit more and practice penalties. Thanks, actions speak louder than words and all that....pass it on there's a good chap.

boo

boo

Founding Member
Tottenham have opened talks with Erik Lamela over a new deal.

The Argentina international's current contract runs to the summer of 2018.

TMW says Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino wants to keep hold of Lamela and has approved talks over a new agreement.

A deal to 2020 is now being discussed with the former Roma star's agents.

conor1

conor1

Founding Member
Any official word on Lamela's situation? Can't find anything anywhere!!
We are doing just grand without him but he definitely gives us an extra option up top. Will be like a new signimg when he becomes available again. We've missed his busyness and class imo

ParkLaneMal

ParkLaneMal

Player in Training.

Doesn't sound good from a psychological diagnoses. Feel really sorry for the lad as he had just come into form before his injury and then his brother being involved in a serious accident. Let's hope this is the break he needs away from our training ground and the rest of the squad etc. But I'm not holding my breath that he will be back this season. Get Well Soon Erik.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I'm not sure that anyone apart from Poch, Erik, his brother and Levy know what is going on. I think the hip thing is becoming a smokescreen for possibly something more serious behind the scenes? Is it a coincidence that Walter Sabatini is connected with us at the moment, I have no idea what is going on?

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
I thought poch said he was over the injury and its just about fitness?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Last edited:
boo

boo

Founding Member
he must be nigh on a whole season injured all tolled by now. such a shame as he was really cementing his place in the team. chin up Erik!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Bad news it seems

Alasdair Gold ‏@AlasdairGold 3m3 minutes ago
Headline injury news. Lamela not good. Poch admitted he's concerned. Scan tomorrow.

1. Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial
    Mauricio: "Tomorrow @ErikLamela will have a scan. It's difficult to give a time as to when he'll be back. We need to see what happens.,We now start to be concerned about him because it’s nearly 3mnths & we’re still in a situation that isn’t moving on.”
How long was he out injured in his first season, I remember that being quite a while? there's something that's seriously not right here....he's gone back to Rome for treatment and having dinner with Fazio as well, maybe it's his head as well as his hip???!!

birdonaball

birdonaball

Player in Training.
It's a tough environment for Erik at the moment :(

Family dramas aside (and I do wish his brother a speedy recovery),that is tough enough to deal with, without being thousands of miles away and stuck in England. Chuck on top that he doesn't actually have football to focus on and keep his mind occupied AND he's got an injury that nobody can figure out- he must feel like his brain is leaking through his ear.

Injuries are tough enough to deal. With a couple of weeks out and you can still feel as if you still belong in the team, but months away, pinging back and forth all over the globe, watching the team change formation that technically freezes you out completely, seeing the team grow in momentum and you're not part of it. Everyone is talking about Spurs, and he's not apart of it. The team is moving forward without him...and there is f*ck all he can do about it.

No wonder he's struggling to cope with it all.

We've got a good team around the lads I would assume and I'm sure he's getting the help he needs to deal with it all. Keep your head up Coco, hope that scan shows up something (cause something showing up is better than nothing showing up) and the club can work on getting you back to your best :)