By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

European Super League

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
As everyone has probably heard by now, there are potential plans to start a European Super League in 2021, owned by the clubs that are forming it. This would in theory further increase their wealth exponentially. There are articles all over the Internet, one the better ones is in Der Spiegel, and also an overview in the Guardian.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

We're not involved at present or possibly in the future. Are we bothered? Is this the start of football turning into NFL style franchises with no promotion or relegation and the smaller clubs just going out of business.? Maybe with the increasing foreign ownership we're already halfway there. OR is it a Kerry packer style takeover, where the biggest clubs just get wealthier short term but no-one is really interested in seeing Liverpool play Roma or AC Milan, on a weekly basis.

Greed will kill the game we all love, if it hasn't already done so.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
As everyone has probably heard by now, there are potential plans to start a European Super League in 2021, owned by the clubs that are forming it. This would in theory further increase their wealth exponentially. There are articles all over the Internet, one the better ones is in Der Spiegel, and also an overview in the Guardian.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

We're not involved at present or possibly in the future. Are we bothered? Is this the start of football turning into NFL style franchises with no promotion or relegation and the smaller clubs just going out of business.? Maybe with the increasing foreign ownership we're already halfway there. OR is it a Kerry packer style takeover, where the biggest clubs just get wealthier short term but no-one is really interested in seeing Liverpool play Roma or AC Milan, on a weekly basis.

Greed will kill the game we all love, if it hasn't already done so.
Wont happen no matter how many american/middle eastern owners the clubs amass.Maybe on the continent,but not in england IMO.Imagine chelsea fans being asked to not have derbies with spurs,west ham,fulham for example.no lazio derby for roma,no mersyside derby,Its a good idea for TV viewing,but fans in the stadium wont buy into it.How would domestic and european competitons work?surely clubs wouldnt be allowed to compete if they break from the FA?.Apparently in germany the law would effectively mean all bayern players would be out of contract and could leave for nothing.Too many problems,especially with brexit thrown in.
Just cant see the interest for viewers in what basically will be a season of friendlies for nearly all clubs involved.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Wont happen no matter how many american/middle eastern owners the clubs amass.Maybe on the continent,but not in england IMO.Imagine chelsea fans being asked to not have derbies with spurs,west ham,fulham for example.no lazio derby for roma,no mersyside derby,Its a good idea for TV viewing,but fans in the stadium wont buy into it.How would domestic and european competitons work?surely clubs wouldnt be allowed to compete if they break from the FA?.Apparently in germany the law would effectively mean all bayern players would be out of contract and could leave for nothing.Too many problems,especially with brexit thrown in.
Just cant see the interest for viewers in what basically will be a season of friendlies for nearly all clubs involved.
Yeah it's akin to Kerry Packers Cricket 'circus' which is a good word for it. If something like it does go ahead and whether or not Spurs are involved, I won't be. At least I won't really be much more excited than I am watching NFL at the moment..........and if you're a Raiders fan it's not very exciting at all.

TettenhallHotspur

TettenhallHotspur

Player in Training.
The thought of Spurs in a European Superleague is about as exciting as the intertoto cup. Wouldn't the supporters of all the "giants" agree?

Seems like a massive risk for any Premier League club to give up the revenues and demand that comes with playing in the biggest league in the world. It could ruin them as much as the Prem. How we'd laugh when they came crawling back asking to be allowed back in, and were made to work their way up from the national League.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
It's also another example of the fans not being important enough anymore. They'll just rake in all the TV deals and sponsorship whilst peole sit at home and watch on TV. I'd go and support Wycombe Wanderers instead.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The thought of Spurs in a European Superleague is about as exciting as the intertoto cup. Wouldn't the supporters of all the "giants" agree?

Seems like a massive risk for any Premier League club to give up the revenues and demand that comes with playing in the biggest league in the world. It could ruin them as much as the Prem. How we'd laugh when they came crawling back asking to be allowed back in, and were made to work their way up from the national League.
I think it would ruin the clubs more.the PL would carry on plenty of ex-big clubs to come back in leeds,both sheff clubs,villa.Once they are out they are out,cant just relegate teams so that a big club can replace them,can you??;)I mean its not like its happened before;);)
How sweet as spurs chairman to be able to blackball arsenals return and finally get our own back.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
We'd be involved if it happened.... NFL pitch, franchise at the ground.... course we'd be involved.

I however would have no part of the shit. I'd fuck footy off in its entirety.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46097389

A breakaway European Super League would harm the culture of English football, says a senior UK government source.

German publication Der Spiegel has alleged top European clubs held secret talks to create a such a league in 2021.

The newspaper says leaked documents reveal clubs discussed leaving their national leagues and football associations.

The UK government would oppose any such European Super League.

According to the source, the government was unaware of any talks between the continent's top clubs until Der Spiegel's claims emerged.

It is also thought the Premier League was not aware of any discussions.

However, it would not be possible to prevent the clubs proceeding with such a plan, according to the source, who believes football fans would oppose the move.

Football Supporters' Federation chair Malcolm Clarke said: "Yet again there is a far-reaching proposal being drawn up by big clubs whose primary interest is making as much money as possible without any consultation with fans at club, national or European level.

"Without fans, those clubs are nothing.

"We challenge the five English clubs reported to be involved to properly consult their own supporters and the FSF. We think those fans will reject the idea but there is only one way to find out - ask them."

Der Spiegel listed Real Madrid, AC Milan, Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Manchester United as the seven clubs pushing the idea forward but suggested that others, including, Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool would enjoy protected status and not face relegation.

Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich have denied the allegations while Manchester United declined to comment.

BBC Sport has contacted the other five 'founder' clubs for a response.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
And that is the end of that... u less they make it a vets league.... I'd pay to watch a spurs vets side...!!!
That Irish bloke on the telly wot fixes the dogs and stuff is good, but is he is good as James Herriot though and can either of them play football?

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
8078EDFD-D8C1-437F-8B65-168C53E97B0A.jpeg

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

bad idea, won’t get off the ground if the sanctions threatened by the governing bodies are a real possibility

embarrassed our club is involved.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
I have what may turn out to be naive faith this will get shouted down. There isn't an ounce of goodwill around any of those director's boardroom tables, and they're well used to dragging fans along regardless of what they say they want, but I really don't think this will fly.

Hey, even Boris is agin it.

Am I foolishly optimistic?

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Unfortunately, I think all the money (tv, sponsors, etc) would pour out of the domestic and european leagues if the 'big' teams were banned. So, UEFA and the domestic FAs will bend to the super league and allow dual participation to keep their money.

FIFA will also allow players in for the same reason (sponsorships, tv deals, etc). Who wants to watch a world cup with a bunch of average players and not the world's best.

UEFA will be a 'lame duck' governing body as the UCL will fold and this super league will incorporate secondary and probably a tertiary league.

Bayern, PSG and Dortmund will join as fiscally it is the only way. They will be able to claim that they held out.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
At this point, it is better to be on the inside than out.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
At this point, it is better to be on the inside than out.
Fuck that, fuck that and fuck that. The new Money League will kill real football and turn it into a fucking circus like that fucking stupid netball game popular in your country, the fucking stupid rugby like game also loved by you chaps, boxing and wrestling all over the world, even cricket is being fucked around so that cunts with the attention span of a goldfish and no fucking interest in the sport can throw some money at the rich cunts who want to be even richer.

All the bollocks the founding members of the 'Bottomless Pit OfMoney League' are spouting about how the new league will help the 'football pyramid' is like listening to a fucking Tory talking about levelling up.

"the Founding Clubs have had the objective of improving the quality and intensity of existing European competitions throughout each season, and of creating a format for top clubs and players to compete on a regular basis" - what a pile of fucking bollocks. The richest clubs will ensure they don't have to qualify for the already brilliant Champions League or slightly less brilliant Europa League, they can play demonstration football without the risk of losing revenue if they don't qualify. They will be able to attract all the top players and the shallow plastic fans will not have to be bothered about watching competitive sport.

Fuck you Super League, fuck you THFC, I will find a real football club to support.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
It'll get to the stage where there's a message from the sponsors every time the game stops, and Justin Timberlake does the half time show.

It's not about football anymore. It's becoming a sport for the wealthy, the elite and powerful, and not just in the boardrooms.. You'll need to be doing very well for yourself to afford to pay to see your club play in the future.

It's very very sad...

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
From Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust:

Tottenham Hotspur was the first British club to win a European trophy. We blazed a trail that caught the imagination of fans everywhere. Yesterday, the current Board of THFC betrayed the Club, its history and the magic that makes this game so special when they put their name to a statement announcing the formation of a breakaway European Super League.

RIPFootball.jpg

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I refer to my opening post in 2018, nothing has changed as we edge closer eventually to the NFL model, except that we are now original signatories. In my view it is football by the rich for the rich and I personally have no interest in a game where real competition and merit has been so devalued. I would happily resign my season ticket and passionate interest, preferring to support my local team Watford or Wycombe Wanderers.

Levy will inevitably be running a £5billion 'franchise' in a few years time, Rugby Union and League are already signed up, as are the NFL , boxing and music. Our multi cultural sporting arena, complete with hotel and someone like Nike's global sponsorship will feature a soccer team called Tottenham Riots playing Liverpool thieves, Chelsea Chavs and West ham Gypsies. That greed and clearly ENIC's primary objective is not for me.

Shame on all those killing football.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Trying to work out whether I will support Fulham, Leeds or Sunderland.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
At least we don't have to bother about finishing in the top four now.

All the supporters trusts are miffed by this:

Spurs - the current board of THFC betrayed the club
Liverpool - appalled and completely oppose this decision.
United - goes against everything football and Manchester United should stand for
Arsenal - deplores the announcement by Arsenal
City - totally opposed to anything which creates a breakaway 'European Super League'
Chelsea - football supporters across the world have suffered the ultimate betrayal.

The rich club owners - fuck you peasants

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Tottenham joining a European super league is like Bananaman getting called up as an Avenger
Bananaman is a wanker, Danger Mouse would kick his nuts right in.

Sneeky

Sneeky

Player in Training.
Have to disagree regarding Danger Mouse... Inspector Gadget would deport him for being an illegal immigrant love child of Mini Mouse and speedy Gonzalas....FACT

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I will still be very surprised if this actually happens.