By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

European Super League

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I will still be very surprised if this actually happens.
Agreed, it's a bargaining chip.......for the moment. It's also why the CL was expanded from just the winners to 'top 4' in our leagues case years ago. UEFA etc. will probably widen it now even further to top 6 in our case, 4 in France, 5 in Spain and 5 in Germany and Italy. Europa league will go down to 7th and 8th and Cup winners etc. etc.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Trying to work out whether I will support Fulham, Leeds or Sunderland.
Nah go proper grass-roots! Here you are:

Come on the Mariners! PA report as follows: “Grimsby have responded to the proposed launch of the super league by offering fans of the English clubs involved the chance to trade in their shirt for a Mariners one. The ‘shirt amnesty’ is open to holders of any Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea shirts that are less than three seasons old. In return the club are offering a replica 2020-21 Grimsby shirt, with the unwanted Premier League kits to be donated to local youth groups and humanitarian projects in Africa.
“In light of recent events surrounding the introduction of the European Super League, Grimsby Town Football Club will be running a shirt amnesty for those who hold shirts for the English clubs involved,” a statement on the club website read. “Without fans, football and Grimsby Town Football Club are nothing. “We would like to thank you for the fantastic support you have provided us this season and we cannot wait to welcome you back to Blundell Park as soon as possible.”

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Agreed, it's a bargaining chip.......for the moment. It's also why the CL was expanded from just the winners to 'top 4' in our leagues case years ago. UEFA etc. will probably widen it now even further to top 6 in our case, 4 in France, 5 in Spain and 5 in Germany and Italy. Europa league will go down to 7th and 8th and Cup winners etc. etc.
All correct IMO. The most infuriating thing about this is that UEFA knew this was coming. They've looked the other way as predatory capitalists/oligarchs/sovereign oil states have bought up all of these clubs, and pretended the bastards weren't going to do what they always do.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Always had a soft spot for both Sunderland and Fulham. Leeds will be a sympathetic team as long as they play Bielsa-ball. Sadly, the inevitable upshot of all of this is that a great many clubs will find it even more difficult to survive. Unless, of course, financial support for them is included as a part of whatever emerges.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
For me it's Leeds. They were the first English side I supported (by default) as a kid. I had to be Leeds when my Liverpool buddy donned them on me when we played 1 v 1.

But now, under Bielsa, I love watching them again. Give him 1 or 2 more leaders & technically gifted players & watch out.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

Porto have confirmed they will not be joining the breakaway European Super League.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
The more clubs say this (even if, as in the case of PSG, it's a bit disingenuous) the less leverage these "breakaway clubs" have.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
The more clubs say this (even if, as in the case of PSG, it's a bit disingenuous) the less leverage these "breakaway clubs" have.

With any luck more will come out. Ajax would be a big one. Zenit, etc.

Even though they are smaller the more they say fck off the better,

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
What will be the point of the Premier League if this farce is allowed to happen? 'Super teams' that are contenders for a top four place will not give a single fuck about fighting for that Champions League spot because they will not be eligible. If the bullshit they have come out with about 4 or 5 places being available for promotion into the 'Super League' is true does that not mean that whatever happens all the teams promoted one season will be relegated the following season because the founder members will be safe?

There is fuck all we can do about this because Levy and all the other corporate owners give zero fucks about real fans, there are billions of people all over the world who will throw money at them. I have read on other forums cunts saying that this is going to happen and Spurs will be better off in than out. Fuck that and fuck that again a million times.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I've read some reporting that Levy and co were among the more enthusiastic supporters of this travesty--apparently City and Chelski were the last to sign on, probably for the same reason PSG haven't joined.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Am i actually going to have to support Norwich...?

FFS...

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Just read some reporting that UEFA is going to expel Real, Chelski, and City from THIS season's semis and replace with Bayern, Dortmund, and Porto. That would be a hoot.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I can't see that but fuck me that would be brutal...

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
UEFA executive committee member Jesper Moller said that he expects potential Super League clubs Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea to be kicked out of this month's UEFA Champions League semifinals, according to Danish outlet DR.

"The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday," Moller said on Monday. "Then we have to find out how to finish (this season's) Champions League tournament. There is an extraordinary executive committee meeting on Friday."

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Always had a soft spot for both Sunderland and Fulham. Leeds will be a sympathetic team as long as they play Bielsa-ball. Sadly, the inevitable upshot of all of this is that a great many clubs will find it even more difficult to survive. Unless, of course, financial support for them is included as a part of whatever emerges.

That Sunderland 'til I Die series really sucked me in. It was warts and all about a proper club with proper humans.

Unlike the propaganda piece cunt Levy and Amazon put out.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
SoccerBall coming soon! Four 15 minute quarters so you can have plenty of time to watch the vital sponsor's messages in between the action - or if you are at the match buy some more merchandise, stuff your face with hot dogs and drink delicious lite beer in a plastic cup. Double sized goals so those boring low scoring games will be a thing of the past. If you are worried about your favourite player being injured then worry no more, your favourite megastar will just come on to take free kicks and penalties then sit back down and let the cannon fodder take the tackles. You will never have to watch lower level opposition sides daring to challenge your side in FA Cup games - now you will see the same top quality opposition every week. There will be no more worries about your star players getting tired or injured playing for their national team, your side will have huge wheelbarrows of money so you can sign all the top players in the world and stop those pesky non-SoccerBall leagues sides having any decent players. But best of all - all that anguish of worrying if your side will qualify for the Champions League next season will be gone, finish anywhere from 1st to 15th and you're sorted!

SoccerBall is coming.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Just read some reporting that UEFA is going to expel Real, Chelski, and City from THIS season's semis and replace with Bayern, Dortmund, and Porto. That would be a hoot.
As long as PSG win it I don't give a fuck.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Here's a question.........who thinks if the rest of the major European leagues say 'fine' fuck off then and kick the clubs out of the domestice leagues, in a similar style to the Kerry Packer failed cricket circus, to the 15 clubs and no-one is interested in Spurs vs Atletico or Bayern vs Arsenal 4 Wednesdays a year - ie fans shun it that the ESL eventually fails?

The Premier league and FA Cup would be fought out between Everton, Leicester, West ham, Villa, Wolves and Southampton etc. similarly in Spain, Italy and Germany. There's a strong possibility that would be more interesting than ESL perhaps?

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Here's a question.........who thinks if the rest of the major European leagues say 'fine' fuck off then and kick the clubs out of the domestice leagues, in a similar style to the Kerry Packer failed cricket circus, to the 15 clubs and no-one is interested in Spurs vs Atletico or Bayern vs Arsenal 4 Wednesdays a year - ie fans shun it that the ESL eventually fails?

The Premier league and FA Cup would be fought out between Everton, Leicester, West ham, Villa, Wolves and Southampton etc. similarly in Spain, Italy and Germany. There's a strong possibility that would be more interesting than ESL perhaps?
The German clubs seem to have a soul, and 51% fan ownership I think? Their league may remain unchanged?

time will tell.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.

Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests.

Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game.

Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table.

Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.

At this time of national and international crisis - and a defining period for our game - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the ideals of our game and its supporters uppermost.

Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game's history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game - including their own - by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.

The backlash is understandable and deserved – and has to be listened to.

This preposterous arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside of the clubs that have drafted this plan.

On behalf of everyone associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now.

Finally we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.

We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.

Everton FC Board of Directors