By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Mauricio Pochettino

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I am generally OK with what he said. It is the honest truth. He is putting pressure on Levy while he has a little bit of leverage. It might turn out to be a brilliant play. Of course it could blow up, but I don't expect that to happen.

What I did find weird was the whole Trippier/Kane/Lloris/Poch halftime at Ajax thingy. He basically flat out said that what Trippier said about Kane was BS. First, it's odd that it would happen, and second, it's odd that he would feel the need to publicly state it. Hopefully it is more nothing.
I reckon Poch knows he could leave and almost any club would want him right now. Imagine what the bloke could do with a budget - buy cups and titles like Pep has done at City. PSG would pay huge for him I reckon.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I reckon Poch knows he could leave and almost any club would want him right now. Imagine what the bloke could do with a budget - buy cups and titles like Pep has done at City. PSG would pay huge for him I reckon.
I'm not sure. Poch has made a name for himself by operating on a budget, developing young players,and instilling an ethic of hard work, A large part of that is due to his personality. I wouldn't assume that would play well with galactico types that are attracted to the riches at clubs like PSG, etc.

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
Conspiracy theory alert...

I’m starting to develop this awful idea that Woodward/Fergie have been tapping up Poch, telling him that we made a gigantic size balls up in appointing Solksjaer full time and that he should take a sabbatical and we’ll have you in the Utd hot seat by Christmas!!🙊

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Conspiracy theory alert...

I’m starting to develop this awful idea that Woodward/Fergie have been tapping up Poch, telling him that we made a gigantic size balls up in appointing Solksjaer full time and that he should take a sabbatical and we’ll have you in the Utd hot seat by Christmas!!🙊

Man, would they really eat four years of his deal? That is just nuts. You are probably right though. I think they would. But I think Poch will stay. The stadium and the team are his. Nowhere else will he get that. Of course I could be being naive but I'm an optimist.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Man, would they really eat four years of his deal? That is just nuts. You are probably right though. I think they would. But I think Poch will stay. The stadium and the team are his. Nowhere else will he get that. Of course I could be being naive but I'm an optimist.
I cannot see Poch leaving us straight for another english team,I just dont.Except commercial revenue and stadium size,we are a bigger club now.Bold statement I know but on the pitch we are by far the better club ATM,and have been since Moyse pretty much bar one fluke Jose finish we have been above&beyond them..Poor club set up from the top and poor squad laced with toxic over paid divas like pogba and sanchez.Rashford and martial need help which poch could do,but smalling,jones,young,and the like do me a favour currently they are worse than arsenal with mustafi,iwobi,monreal and co.Its a poison chalice from the glazers down to Jones,yes they have money but we are talking 100s of millions to even fight for 3rd&4th in their case.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
PSG are the danger if Levy doesn't play ball........and maybe Madrid in 2020. But this is all smoke and mirrors anyway. Poch has made Spurs his club in a Fergie style, lets hope it all works out the same way. Fergie won his first trophy after 5 years didn't he??

Here's another question - how do we keep everyone fit and motivated for three weeks? I'd have let them go on holiday for a week, beast them for a week when they got back then light fun training for 4-5 days?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Except commercial revenue and stadium size,we are a bigger club now.Bold statement I know but on the pitch we are by far the better club ATM,and have been since Moyse pretty much bar one fluke Jose finish we have been above&beyond them.
exhibit A
D6ho-5pWwAA43rv.jpg

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
I was really just pissing around boys, been out in the sun all day and i think it caused an anomaly in my creative thinking!!

L

Larcenist

Player in Training.
I'm not sure. Poch has made a name for himself by operating on a budget, developing young players,and instilling an ethic of hard work, A large part of that is due to his personality. I wouldn't assume that would play well with galactico types that are attracted to the riches at clubs like PSG, etc.

You never know what you will get when a manager is used to operating on a budget. He does seem to have a knack for developing young talent. However, I think he can also maximize established talent as long as they're willing to listen.

David Moyes actually did really well on a budget with Everton, which is a good reason why he got that Manchester United position. That didn't work out well at all. Not saying Poch is the same as Moyes, but the point is that it could happen. Obviously I hope he stays a bit. It's hard to find managers that stay awhile in this day and age whether they get let go or leave on their own.

Reactions: Yid
Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
What the fuck was this all about?? First I've heard of it.

From BBC Sport

Mauricio Pochettino has avoided a touchline ban for Tottenham's Champions League final against Liverpool.

The Spurs manager has been given a one-match ban linked to the delayed start of the semi-final first leg with Ajax , but his suspension has been deferred for a probation period of one year.

Spurs have also been fined 10,000 euros (£8,758) for the incident.

The club have also been fined 5,000 euros for a pitch invasion in their quarter-final with Manchester City.

Tottenham qualified for their first Champions League final after a stunning second-leg comeback against Ajax in Amsterdam.

Lucas Moura scored a second-half hat-trick as Spurs overturned a three-goal deficit to progress on away goals and set up a meeting with Liverpool in Madrid on 1 June.

Meanwhile, among fines for other clubs, Porto have been fined 42,000 euros for blocking stairways, setting off fireworks and the late kick-off in their Champions League quarter-final second leg with Liverpool.

Porto head coach Sergio Conceicao is also banned for one Uefa competition match for being responsible for a late kick-off.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Pep should be banned for a premature celebration.
I'm not sure why everyone thinks he's so great, he's had unlimited funds at Bayern and no-one to beat, and at City relatively speaking with the huge amount of money he's spent he's struggled especially in the Champions League. I think he's good but no more than that, very arrogant and over-rated. Managers like Poch have achieved relatively more I think. I mean look how much cash has been splashed on players like Mahrez, Sane, Stones, and they can't get in the first team, plus ridiculous wages. If he doesnt at least win the league every year he's failing in my book. Congrats to Wolves and Watford btw.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Humble ish from Pep - well said.

Manchester City will ultimately be judged on how they fare in the Champions League despite their historic treble, says manager Pep Guardiola.

The City boss is aware critics will point to failure in Europe whatever other success he achieves at the club. A 6-0 win over Watford in Saturday's FA Cup final followed Premier League and Carabao Cup triumphs this season. "I said before that I know we will be judged at the end on whether we win the Champions League," said Guardiola.

"I know unless we do that it will not be enough. "This comes with me. I know that. I arrive in Barcelona, we were lucky we won it two times in four years and the people expect I am something special that we have to win the Champions League and it's still true.

"In this club, the points record and the domestic competitions is incredible, but the Champions League we don't win quite often compared to the other ones because the teams are so good, the competition is so demanding but we want to win it."

As a footnote, City's bench on Saturday cost in excess of £200m, the entire Watford team cost £49m.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Very weird bit about Real not allowing us to sleep at their training facility. Poch claims he asked Perez directly if they could sleep at the facilities and Perez said something along the lines of "when you manage Real you can sleep there." Of course Real denied this but it is probably true. First, Poch had to know that making this public would create waves. Seems an odd thing to let slip at such a crucial time. Also, Zidane has to be pissed that Perez is taking directly with Poch and then lying about it. Perhaps a good headbutt is in order.

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.
I feel that once again it is unnecessary comments before a big game. On one hand, I do not care if it takes pressure off the team and we win. On the other, I am never as entirely certain as others that what he says or does or jokes about with the media is in the long-term best interest of the club or the fans, although it is a possibility. I am kind of tuning out at this point as I have turned into Stan.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Anyone remember Fergusson making a fucking twat of himself every time Utd played like cunts. Every time he'd blame the pitch, a referee, the weather the FA, opposition players even fans

Anyone remember Wenger failing to see anything that happened on the pitch that could ever have been construed as potentially negative towards his players? The fucking blindest man on the fucking planet when his players were bullying fuck out of referees and opposition players but saw clear as a bell, in the pissing down snow, from 100 yards away when it was a clear stone wall penalty for his side.

I think some of this is distracting from any attention or speculation on the players. They're being left alone and settled and people ain't talking about spurs tactics, players or anything else about the biggest game of our recent history.

Job done I'd say.

Simba

Simba

Player in Training.
Here is a [better] interview about lemons and using the universe to attract girls

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Anyone else getting this advert on this page....?

C

corroded

Player in Training.
I'm actually pretty sure that kid is just a clone. Looks a lot like his old man.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Personally, I think this is a really good piece. Fair amount in there that makes sense, as to why we’ve looked a little flat of late.
I agree. And Delaney's probably one of the most responsive journos to questions on Twitter.

Said a lot of things we're kind of talking about on here. He stopped short of saying Poch is losing the dressing room, but if there's anything to the story, it seems we're heading that way. I did think that the comparisons to SAF (the whole four-year cycle bit) were not all that relevant IMO, given the resources Ferguson had at his disposal. It's a good piece, but probably moot with a few results in the upcoming fixtures. (let's hope.)

Chavhater01

Chavhater01

Player in Training.
I agree. And Delaney's probably one of the most responsive journos to questions on Twitter.

Said a lot of things we're kind of talking about on here. He stopped short of saying Poch is losing the dressing room, but if there's anything to the story, it seems we're heading that way. I did think that the comparisons to SAF (the whole four-year cycle bit) were not all that relevant IMO, given the resources Ferguson had at his disposal. It's a good piece, but probably moot with a few results in the upcoming fixtures. (let's hope.)

Agreed mate, much easier to freshen a squad when you've got money and as you say, a few positive results starting with Sunday, even a loss but with energy and ambition i wouldn't be too pissed off, and this piece does become a little irrelevant for the time being.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Right so I've been reading a lot and this post caught my eye of on SC...

"I think your post sums it all up. A lot of the changes are reactive rather than proactive. We're trying to find a system that allows us to fit Sissoko, Winks and Ndombele into the same team rather than fitting players into a proven system that works.

A pragmatist would drop Sissoko, Winks or Ndombele, (perhaps even 2 of them) and play the proven 4-2-3-1 with a DM, or at least experiment with other systems like a 4-3-3 with 2 wide forwards. Poch however seems hellbent on making the diamond work, despite the copious evidence that it's a pile of shite."

Now, I'm wondering if the problem is the players sort of revolted against the diamond/tactics and whether this is why Poch is so determined to make it work. If he's backed himself in to a corner by pulling rank on the players and insisting on the diamond it could explain a lot of what we are seeing on and off the pitch with players wanting to move on etc.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I don’t understand football tactics, if 4-2-3-1 was so good and it was, why change it? What tactics are Liverpool and City using? They seem pretty effective (for them) and why pass to your central defender from a goal kick when he’s standing about 5 yards away on the corner of the 6 yard box??? That’s not going to end well sometimes is it? Play the way that best suits the team eh? That usually works best.