By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Video technology is coming...at long last?

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Didn’t read it all (I apologize for laziness),but I think we are 5 years away from NFL like stoppages. Hope I’m wrong. Games are (seemingly) 5 hours long (not actually, but point made) due to calls going to the replay booth all the time.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

Some decisions that go to the video assistant referee are to be shown on big screens in Premier League grounds.

Graphics will explain any VAR-related delay to a match, and any overturned decision, from next season.

Any video clip which helps explain an overturned decision will be broadcast, and they could potentially be viewed via an app on mobile phones.

Messages on scoreboards and PA announcements will be made at grounds which do not have giant screens.

VAR checks will be for "clear and obvious errors" relating to four match-changing situations: goals, mistaken identify, red cards and incidents in the penalty area.

It debuts in the Premier League next season, having been used at the 2018 World Cup, in this season's Champions League knockout stages and in selected FA Cup and Carabao Cup ties.

For clubs that do not have giant screens in their stadium, VAR communications will be made via a combination of PA announcements and messages on scoreboards.

"If the VAR believes there is a definitive video clip which helps explain an overturned decision to fans, it will be broadcast on giant screens," the Premier League said in a statement

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
Interesting scenario in tonight’s game , there looks to have been a foul on the Swiss player in the box , 20 seconds later Ronaldo get taken out in the box , allowing the Portuguese a possible 2-0 lead . Then the ref goes toVar and after a short time period awards the Swiss a penalty .
Bearing in mind Ronaldo got a fortunate freekick, from which he scored, it’s a fair reflection on the game

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
Apparently replays at all grounds except utd and Liverpool....funny that

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I have some questions for VAR experts:

1 Goals - whether they should stand or nor due to potential violations (fouls, offside, etc) in the build-up.

OK, so how far back do they go 'in the build-up', every second of the game before a goal is part of the 'build-up' innit?

2 Penalties - if the referee has made the correct decision in either awarding one or not following an incident in the box.

Is this going to based on screeching appeals by 8 dippers surrounding the ref and pleading for a penalty or will the VAR man give the ref a bell if they see something fishy?

3 Straight red cards - did an incident on the pitch receive the correct discipline from the referee that it merited?

See question 2. When does tackle become an 'incident'

If the VAR bloke is calling the ref every 5 minutes saying 'hang on a sec ref, I'm just having a butchers at an 'incident' then it will be bollocks. What happens if we score a cracking goal and the VAR bloke says we should have had a free kick, does the goal stand? Are they going to do that offside bollocks where the lino doesn't flag the fucker and then disallow the goal because a player was offside half an hour ago?

We have had some luck with VAR, but I am starting to believe it is not going to be good for the game. I would rather have a tribunal watching replays of the games and handing out severe penalties for cheating - loss of points is probably the only way to stop clubs like City with huge squads where losing a player for a couple of games just gives him a rest.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
I have some questions for VAR experts:

1 Goals - whether they should stand or nor due to potential violations (fouls, offside, etc) in the build-up.

OK, so how far back do they go 'in the build-up', every second of the game before a goal is part of the 'build-up' innit?

2 Penalties - if the referee has made the correct decision in either awarding one or not following an incident in the box.

Is this going to based on screeching appeals by 8 dippers surrounding the ref and pleading for a penalty or will the VAR man give the ref a bell if they see something fishy?

3 Straight red cards - did an incident on the pitch receive the correct discipline from the referee that it merited?

See question 2. When does tackle become an 'incident'

If the VAR bloke is calling the ref every 5 minutes saying 'hang on a sec ref, I'm just having a butchers at an 'incident' then it will be bollocks. What happens if we score a cracking goal and the VAR bloke says we should have had a free kick, does the goal stand? Are they going to do that offside bollocks where the lino doesn't flag the fucker and then disallow the goal because a player was offside half an hour ago?

We have had some luck with VAR, but I am starting to believe it is not going to be good for the game. I would rather have a tribunal watching replays of the games and handing out severe penalties for cheating - loss of points is probably the only way to stop clubs like City with huge squads where losing a player for a couple of games just gives him a rest.
all the reasons above are why they should just do away with VAR and let the human aspect (which involves mistakes) take over. split second decisions will go against most clubs at some time or another. hopefully it evens all out.
VAR is going to kill / lengthen the games as it has with american football (NFL and college). 15min extra time will be common place soon.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
all the reasons above are why they should just do away with VAR and let the human aspect (which involves mistakes) take over. split second decisions will go against most clubs at some time or another. hopefully it evens all out.
VAR is going to kill / lengthen the games as it has with american football (NFL and college). 15min extra time will be common place soon.
Every time something is shown to cause an unjust goal (especially against the big powerful clubs),it will come up to be added to the VAR list.
For example goal scored from a corner,oh look it went out off the attacker so shouldnt have been a corner,,ok next year lets review all corners,then a throw in.... and so on

Last edited:
USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
Every time something is shown to cause an unjust goal (especially against the big powerful clubs),it will come up to be added to the VAR list.
For example goal scored from a corner,oh look it went out of the attacker so shouldnt have been a corner,,ok next year lets review all corners,then a throw in.... and so on
which is exactly how it is happening in the nfl. games seem to be 4 hours long no. they used to be much shorter. (commerical money also has a lot to do with the length of games too, though. but the more breaks for reviewed, the more commercials needed. one big circle.)

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
We as Spurs and Engkand fans seem to have suffered more than anyone else
From Mendes goal , to the two goals Chelsea scored in the league , and the semi final goal , to Jan being offside when in his own half , to be penalised , again at Chelsea for an offside , when the ball was a throw in !
Then with England with Maradona , and Fat Franks goal, even Judas’s goal .
I thought VAR would be a great idea , but I think now with technology available , I think the manager can have 3 appeals a game , if it’s upheld , you keep it , if not you lose it
The challenge go to the 4th official who has to make a decision within 10 seconds and within 2 viewings and has to be clear and obvious , let’s give it a try this VAR is always still going to benefit the big clubs

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
We as Spurs and Engkand fans seem to have suffered more than anyone else
From Mendes goal , to the two goals Chelsea scored in the league , and the semi final goal , to Jan being offside when in his own half , to be penalised , again at Chelsea for an offside , when the ball was a throw in !
Then with England with Maradona , and Fat Franks goal, even Judas’s goal .
I thought VAR would be a great idea , but I think now with technology available , I think the manager can have 3 appeals a game , if it’s upheld , you keep it , if not you lose it
The challenge go to the 4th official who has to make a decision within 10 seconds and within 2 viewings and has to be clear and obvious , let’s give it a try this VAR is always still going to benefit the big clubs
That's how the NFL started. 2 per game. win both you get a third. now there are reviewed constantly for seemingly every single play.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I was a big fan of VAR before I saw it in football in real life. Now not so much, it just takes so long and removes much of the instant joy of scoring a goal. I’m not bothered that we’ve benefitted and most out as a Nation and as a club. I like the flow of the game, VAR ruins that, Rugby, Cricket and tennis are all inherently stop start, football isn’t. The officials are right 98.687% of the time anyway.

Nope VAR not for me.

Use the post match review method and dish out harsh treatment to clubs and players that cheat. Simple.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
May as well just award a goal. What's the point if the keeper isnt allowed some proper movement to put the taker off.... I dont mean the talking the piss on the 6 yard line shit but within a yeard is fine imo.

Or get rid of them totally and give the striker a one on one from the half way line. Like ice hockey I think.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I agree with you but VAR shows the rules were broken so is not VAR's fault its the nature by which VAR is being used is wrong
they are just adding extras to it to try&justify its existance.I have seen many penaltys exactly the same as Son`s that was disallowed and changed to a goalkick.The law is an ass.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
I agree with you but VAR shows the rules were broken so is not VAR's fault its the nature by which VAR is being used is wrong
But does it? It appears the shooters foot is on the ball. Perhaps the keeper reacted extremely quickly? It is possible. It is almost unknowable. And honestly, who fives a fark?

Reactions: Yid
Yid

Yid

Founding Member