By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Welcome Ange

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
I like this ..

Ange Postecoglou on how important Champions League qualification is to him:

“It’s not, actually. What’s more important is that come the end of this year, we’ve got a team that’s going to challenge the following year and keep growing. Right now, the most important thing is us, our identity and our football, because just getting into it mate, it’s not a Willy Wonka golden ticket, you know? It just gets you a year in the Champions League. But if you don’t build on that or grow from that, it is meaningless, I think anyway. Because we’re not in it for participation. We’re in it to win things. Yes, if we make Champions League this year it means we’ve progressed from last year. But has our football progressed? Are we a better team? Are we a stronger team? Are we going to improve in the summer to make sure that next year we are going to be even better?”

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I like this ..

Ange Postecoglou on how important Champions League qualification is to him:

“It’s not, actually. What’s more important is that come the end of this year, we’ve got a team that’s going to challenge the following year and keep growing. Right now, the most important thing is us, our identity and our football, because just getting into it mate, it’s not a Willy Wonka golden ticket, you know? It just gets you a year in the Champions League. But if you don’t build on that or grow from that, it is meaningless, I think anyway. Because we’re not in it for participation. We’re in it to win things. Yes, if we make Champions League this year it means we’ve progressed from last year. But has our football progressed? Are we a better team? Are we a stronger team? Are we going to improve in the summer to make sure that next year we are going to be even better?”
@LEVY... FUND HIM YOU MONEY GRABBING CUNT...!!!

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Let me caveat this by saying yes I am currently negative, but I dont think its without good reason.

I am as equally happy that this is yet another opportunity to reset our footballing activities, and start to entertain the fans.

But, I think some of you guys need to slow down with the cool aid... For the moment.

Levy is still at the organaisation and still the chairman, regardless of his stepping back from the board or football operations etc... Don't suck that teat...! He has not relinquished any of the record breaking Chairman wages in lieu of his reduced responsibilities... He is still 100% in charge.

He has used Jol, Poch, Folded Arms guy, That Cunt, Conté and any number of sporting directors, DOF's, coaches, whatever, as scape goats for his mismanagement of the clubs footballing activities...

Do not think that this guy or Munn will be treated any deferent...

I will back him as I had done with all of the above, even That Cunt... until I couldn't.

As long as I see the players working harder than the opposition. As long as I see us playing football that is attacking and exciting. As long as I see the results start to improve and the players seemingly give as much of a shit about them as we do. He will get my full support.

But remember he will be doing this with one arm tied behind his back. He is cannon fodder for Levy no matter what colour tinted specs you have on, so while I am optimistic, I am also pragmatic in that this organisations problems are much bigger than the man stood on the sidelines every weekend.

I wish him and us the best.

I wish Levy to fuck off.

Mate, not singling you out at all but really interested in your thoughts so far.

Reactions: Yid
Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Mate, not singling you out at all but really interested in your thoughts so far.
I think it all holds true mate.

We've not seen much of the arch cunt in the headlines recently, aside from removing the dispensation for OAP's and again the increase in already ridiculous season ticket prices. Same shit different day for that cunt.

Has he opened his wallet? Nah, I don't think so? Has he got us a naming rights deal? Nah, I don't think so? So he has been doing exactly what the rest of have been doing. Riding on the crest of a significant uptick in performances.

Ange is over performing with a thin fragile and limited squad. European football (I would say especially the Europa, but it feels like there's CL games every other week also now) will massively open up the cracks in this side if we're lucky enough to get it.

I like Ange, but he isn't perfect (yet). At least he has a style and philosophy I can identify with and appreciate. He gives it a fucking go no matter what and with the limitations I already talked about... That imo, is your best chance of success.

He has to be able to adapt and he has shown his inability to do that so far. Now again, a free pass to a degree from me as he might not have the players to implement that alternative approach and has had limited opportunities in the transfer market... But most other clubs manage to switch up their style/tactics from time to time in order to adapt to the scenario they find Infront of themselves. We've categorically failed at that and belligerently trudged on in the face of adversity. That has on occasion paid off... Other times, we have looked clueless, ineffective and stupid. That's all on Ange and I think he openly accepts that his inflexibility will sometimes be our downfall.

I love the guy, but he has to learn and grow with the side as they both develop. I'm happy to accept that it isn't a microwave 5 minutes process and as long as I see progress. As long as I am entertained. As long as we continue to project this identity as an exciting attacking side who gives not a fuck for reputation but stands up man to man physically and mentally on the pitch, then I will be happy.

I've never wanted to win at any cost, to buy trophies or to cheat and fluke our way to success. I've wanted to do it with people open-mouthed at how fucking glorious we are and aghast at what we're achieving.

I don't think that's out of the realms of possibility with Ange but it will be out of the question if the arch cunt starts to slither his way back into the limelight and undermine all the work we're doing with Ange, Munn, Lange and the rest of the Beatles...!!!

Looking forward to next season and the continued progress I need to see. Looking forward to a real push at the end of this season and what we can achieve with the glaring deficiencies I have already mentioned. Looking forward to building on the success we've already achieved this season and making all clubs work harder and smarter than us in order to take anything away from a game against us.

Under the last 3 or 4 managers I didn't look forward to anything... So by that barometer alone, progress has been achieved in the right way to engage me and I would argue many many more.

Last edited:
ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
Ange Postecoglou on the possibility of players being attracted to join Tottenham if they secure Champions League football:

"I don’t want those players. Because they don’t want to come to Tottenham… they want to go to a Champions League club. I signed Micky van de Ven this year — he’s not a bad player is he? And we were in the Champions League? No.
I don’t want those players. That’s a beautiful discussion for me to have. That’s one of the discussions I have: Why do you want to come to Tottenham? Because if you want Champions League football and that’s all you want, you don’t want to come to Tottenham; you just want to go to a Champions League club.
I want people to come to Tottenham who know this club, know the challenge we’ve got — and we do have a challenge, we’re different to other clubs in that we haven’t had success for a while — so I’m looking for a certain type of character. One that’s going to say: 'You know what, they’re not in the Champions League but if I win something with them, that could mean something for my career and to me. So I’m up for that fight'.
That’s part of the discussion. I don't think that makes a difference to me in terms of the players. We’ve had two windows so far and I haven’t had an issue bringing the players I want to this club even though we’re not in the Champions League."

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Ange Postecoglou on the possibility of players being attracted to join Tottenham if they secure Champions League football:

"I don’t want those players. Because they don’t want to come to Tottenham… they want to go to a Champions League club. I signed Micky van de Ven this year — he’s not a bad player is he? And we were in the Champions League? No.
I don’t want those players. That’s a beautiful discussion for me to have. That’s one of the discussions I have: Why do you want to come to Tottenham? Because if you want Champions League football and that’s all you want, you don’t want to come to Tottenham; you just want to go to a Champions League club.
I want people to come to Tottenham who know this club, know the challenge we’ve got — and we do have a challenge, we’re different to other clubs in that we haven’t had success for a while — so I’m looking for a certain type of character. One that’s going to say: 'You know what, they’re not in the Champions League but if I win something with them, that could mean something for my career and to me. So I’m up for that fight'.
That’s part of the discussion. I don't think that makes a difference to me in terms of the players. We’ve had two windows so far and I haven’t had an issue bringing the players I want to this club even though we’re not in the Champions League."
God I love that man.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member

I mean, I agree but reality tells you that being in it... Opens up the possibility of much better players saying they want to play for us...

Without the CL, some players simply won't be available for the discussion to be had.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Who's doing a better job....Emery or Postecoglou ?
This is no answer, but they're both doing a good job. I think Ange probably has the better squad overall, but Emery has players who are better suited to his style of play.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
This is no answer, but they're both doing a good job. I think Ange probably has the better squad overall, but Emery has players who are better suited to his style of play.
Villa have had European competition....and they are still in it. A lesser squad, spent less money and are ahead of us. I would also suggest Emery is perhaps more tactically flexible, even astute.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Villa have had European competition....and they are still in it. A lesser squad, spent less money and are ahead of us. I would also suggest Emery is perhaps more tactically flexible, even astute.
That's what we've seen so far...

We know more about Emery and Emery knows more about the Prem than Ange does though, so while it's an easy comparison it's not apple's for apple's.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
That's what we've seen so far...

We know more about Emery and Emery knows more about the Prem than Ange does though, so while it's an easy comparison it's not apple's for apple's.
The only way Ange can get the upper hand on experience is over a longish spell in the PL and Europe. He is 58 and possibly not in the best of health. I don't think he will hang around long.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
The only way Ange can get the upper hand on experience is over a longish spell in the PL and Europe. He is 58 and possibly not in the best of health. I don't think he will hang around long.
What's that based on???

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
@Strikegold Your post got me wondering, so I looked it up. He's admittedly the second-oldest manager in the PL behind Moyes. But lots of others aren't far behind--for what it's worth, more than half of the managers in the league are 50 or above. So not exactly Roy Hodgson territory.

Ange left his previous two jobs at Yokohama and Celtic after a couple seasons, but that was after A) winning the league; and B) getting an offer that was a massive step up. (Fair to say Celtic are a step up from the J-League, even if Scottish football isn't great overall.) It looks like a lot of the clubs that would be seen as a massive step up from Spurs will be open this summer, but it seems unlikely that he's done enough at Tottenham to warrant concern on that front.

So unless God forbid there's something we don't know about his health, I can't see where you're coming from.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
@Strikegold Your post got me wondering, so I looked it up. He's admittedly the second-oldest manager in the PL behind Moyes. But lots of others aren't far behind--for what it's worth, more than half of the managers in the league are 50 or above. So not exactly Roy Hodgson territory.

Ange left his previous two jobs at Yokohama and Celtic after a couple seasons, but that was after A) winning the league; and B) getting an offer that was a massive step up. (Fair to say Celtic are a step up from the J-League, even if Scottish football isn't great overall.) It looks like a lot of the clubs that would be seen as a massive step up from Spurs will be open this summer, but it seems unlikely that he's done enough at Tottenham to warrant concern on that front.

So unless God forbid there's something we don't know about his health, I can't see where you're coming from.
I'm coming from the obvious cough he has had for some time. His age and relative lack of experience in the PL even though he is second oldest.
Also when talking about Roy , Ange indicated he would not get anywhere near that kind of longevity in management.
I would have preferred a younger and more healthy manager if he has to learn on the job.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
I'm coming from the obvious cough he has had for some time. His age and relative lack of experience in the PL even though he is second oldest.
Also when talking about Roy , Ange indicated he would not get anywhere near that kind of longevity in management.
I would have preferred a younger and more healthy manager if he has to learn on the job.

Learn on the job?

Go away troll.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Get rid of the old cunt. 58? Fuck me, he's too old, he should be in a care home, he's probably got alzheimers like all of us old cunts, I bet he doesn't know where his fucking slippers are, mine have fucking disappeared again. Everybody knows that Premier League managers stay in the job for at least 20 years, that would make him whatever 58 plus 20 is in 20 years time, fucking blimey that's even older than me, now, not in 20 years time of course, because I will be 20 years older then, yeah right like that's going to happen, the chances of me living 20 more years are about the same as scientists discovering a decent Tory or finding a Brexit benefit.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Ange wouldn't have taken 5th this season if offered with 6 games to go, or fourth !!
In a characteristic spikey reply to the journo.

So what would you have taken ? No Kane, new system and inexperienced PL manager, early days of a rebuild ?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Ange wouldn't have taken 5th this season if offered with 6 games to go, or fourth !!
In a characteristic spikey reply to the journo.

So what would you have taken ? No Kane, new system and inexperienced PL manager, early days of a rebuild ?
All about the football for me. I actually enjoy watching us play now, which I haven't done since Poch. Put it this way: I didn't think we'd be as high up the table as we are.

Lots of managers would say they wouldn't take fourth in our situation, and he'll cop criticism either answer he gives. Anyway, considering his advanced age and his apparent terminal illness, maybe he should just be at peace with whatever he gets.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
All about the football for me. I actually enjoy watching us play now, which I haven't done since Poch. Put it this way: I didn't think we'd be as high up the table as we are.

Lots of managers would say they wouldn't take fourth in our situation, and he'll cop criticism either answer he gives. Anyway, considering his advanced age and his apparent terminal illness, maybe he should just be at peace with whatever he gets.
That seems to indicate you would have taken 5 th if offered ?

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Nearly a full season and does not feel set piece defending is a priority. In fact there is so much wrong in his view after a near full season. Also a pop at the players needing to show Romero's fight and passion. How long does it take to instill that ?

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
I think he gets a pass this season. We were a shambles when he took over, then we lost the worlds best striker.

The football has improved, but we are too easy to play against. Another couple of transfer windows will help him, let’s see how we are next year.