By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Welcome Ange

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I think he gets a pass this season. We were a shambles when he took over, then we lost the worlds best striker.

The football has improved, but we are too easy to play against. Another couple of transfer windows will help him, let’s see how we are next year.
I have to keep reminding myself of this...

It's hard though considering how fucking great we shaped up for the first dozen games...

We came on a long long way super super fast and then stagnated... Maybe that's the personnel, maybe that's Ange...

Guess we'll find out next season.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
There have been good managers that have got more out of the players they inherit. That seemed to be the case early on but now Ange is saying the players need to aspire to Romero's effort. As Ange said there is so much wrong..... it's difficult to call whether it's the players or him at fault.
How good do the players need to be to make his system work.?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
There have been good managers that have got more out of the players they inherit. That seemed to be the case early on but now Ange is saying the players need to aspire to Romero's effort. As Ange said there is so much wrong..... it's difficult to call whether it's the players or him at fault.
How good do the players need to be to make his system work.?
Spit it out...!

What is it you actually want to say...?

You're not saying anything new here, your not actually a million miles off what I and others have said about Ange and the Teams performance this season...

But what I at least have done, is state that I understand why we've maybe stagnated. I accept that there are currently deficiencies and expect progress on those over the summer...

What conversation are you trying to stimulate here that hasn't already been had?

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Spit it out...!

What is it you actually want to say...?

You're not saying anything new here, your not actually a million miles off what I and others have said about Ange and the Teams performance this season...

But what I at least have done, is state that I understand why we've maybe stagnated. I accept that there are currently deficiencies and expect progress on those over the summer...

What conversation are you trying to stimulate here that hasn't already been had?
It's a comment on a press conference from yesterday, including his pop at the players needing to give Romero level effort. Also he said so much was wrong. To my knowledge these are both fresh comments so I doubt have been discussed before !!

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
I still think considering everything, he's done a bloody good job. And personally I have full faith in him to improve us again next season (As long as the dark Lord facilitates).
Yesterday was frustrating because yet again we gave gifts to our opponents and were made to play catch up. How many times have we seen that this season ??
A top class Defensive midfielder is needed badly imo and a centre forward. That's it for me in order for us to go get closer to Arsenal, Liverpool etc..but those 2 positions are two thirds of the spine. Everything else is just accessorising.
For me An Ivan Toney signing would make a difference. And if we had to make the decision to cash in on Son in the summer, (which I think is a possibility) I'd get Eze from Palace as a direct replacement.
But it's that Rice type player that's the issue. I think Bissouma or Hojberg are decent but we need a step above. Good enough to let Rod and Maddison dictate things better. A real midfield general.
I dont think Ange is far away from putting together a squad capable of really properly competing. A tweak here and there and a bit more savvy when it comes to adjusting to changing situations tactically. I questioned on the scum match thread yesterday whether he had a plan B, in hindsight that was probably a bit harsh. His tactics have put a big smile on my face this season which is more that could be said for a number of years prior.
Let's see how the summer pans out but I'm looking forward to next season already regardless of whether we get top 4 or not.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I questioned on the scum match thread yesterday whether he had a plan B, in hindsight that was probably a bit harsh. His tactics have put a big smile on my face this season which is more that could be said for a number of years prior.
Nah, I don't think it's harsh at all mate... You've acknowledged the progress and can see the path to where that progress continues...

It's no more divisive than that.

Like you said there has been a huge change in the enjoyment and simply by that barometer we're better.

I said it before, I didn't like the scum result but that was 2 hours of phenomenal football from both sides for different and the same reasons...

Couldn't have said that under the last 4 managers. They were all dog shit sandwiches that we endured for what felt like fucking eternity...!!!

For clarity: Mason, That Cunt, Folded Arms Guy, Cúnte = 🐶💩🥪

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Ange said yesterday some will buy into his method and some won't....or words to that effect. Does he mean players or fans ?

With him saying there is still a lot of work to do which includes basic defending from set pieces and even the determination required ( a'la Romero) I'm not sure Ange thinks he's done a bloody good job so far.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
It's a comment on a press conference from yesterday, including his pop at the players needing to give Romero level effort. Also he said so much was wrong. To my knowledge these are both fresh comments so I doubt have been discussed before !!
Yeah, they are, but to me it seems to hide a mild undertone of blaming Ange without recognising what I and others have, in that building a successful team isn't don't in the microwave in 5 minutes.

Which we have discussed before.

If you think he's had a year and should have it all figured out now that's fine, I'm 100% not looking for an echo chamber I'm looking for a debate as to why we may think differently... No agg.

I know others have that opinion and I will probably change mine next year if we're still making the same mistakes... But I'm confident we will be incrementally better and moving towards the finished product...

It does however depend on the dark lord... That cunt could strike at any moment and contrive to inject his venemous wrath upon our footballing activities merely, for his demonic enjoyment...

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Ange said yesterday some will buy into his method and some won't....or words to that effect. Does he mean players or fans ?

With him saying there is still a lot of work to do which includes basic defending from set pieces and even the determination required ( a'la Romero) I'm not sure Ange thinks he's done a bloody good job so far.
And I'm glad of that... Because that shows hunger and drive to be better... Fucking spot on imo.

Essentially he may deliver us European football again. Outside chance of CL.

That would be success considering I wanted to end my own life watching Cúnte berate our fullbacks for 90 minutes every fucking week while churning out a 0-0 with Burnley at home.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Yeah, they are, but to me it seems to hide a mild undertone of blaming Ange without recognising what I and others have, in that building a successful team isn't don't in the microwave in 5 minutes.

Which we have discussed before.

If you think he's had a year and should have it all figured out now that's fine, I'm 100% not looking for an echo chamber I'm looking for a debate as to why we may think differently... No agg.

I know others have that opinion and I will probably change mine next year if we're still making the same mistakes... But I'm confident we will be incrementally better and moving towards the finished product...

It does however depend on the dark lord... That cunt could strike at any moment and contrive to inject his venemous wrath upon our footballing activities merely, for his demonic enjoyment...

I certainly wouldn't expect one season to have Ange figure it all out. But I'm starting to think we may be behind the curve.
Jedinak is our defensive and set piece coach, is he good enough ?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Genuinely not trying to play the happy clapper after losing to the old enemy yesterday, but I like Ange, love his approach to the game and football in general, and am very happy he is our manager. I didn't think we would be where we are, especially after selling Harry. I kind of thought we'd have the sort of season Poch is having at Chelsea. If not for injuries and suspensions, I think we'd be above Villa in the table.

For me the question is whether the club will back the guy. Don't think we have massive holes in the squad except at CF but there are some areas needing attention. Some exits are obviously needed as well, and we have a lot of players on loan that might make an impact (Rodon, Spence, maybe Phillips, etc). This will be a multi-year process, but next year will be telling.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Genuinely not trying to play the happy clapper after losing to the old enemy yesterday, but I like Ange, love his approach to the game and football in general, and am very happy he is our manager. I didn't think we would be where we are, especially after selling Harry. I kind of thought we'd have the sort of season Poch is having at Chelsea. If not for injuries and suspensions, I think we'd be above Villa in the table.

For me the question is whether the club will back the guy. Don't think we have massive holes in the squad except at CF but there are some areas needing attention. Some exits are obviously needed as well, and we have a lot of players on loan that might make an impact (Rodon, Spence, maybe Phillips, etc). This will be a multi-year process, but next year will be telling.

It's the same old story with us, only magnified. Not everyone can play in this system. You have to be able to play yourself out of pressure and find a pass or a running lane. Not everyone can do that, and the players who can tend to cost a pretty penny. My thought is we probably need 3 new, superior players to what we have now (midfield, striker, AM/winger). Will be pleasantly surprised if we get 2.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
It's the same old story with us, only magnified. Not everyone can play in this system. You have to be able to play yourself out of pressure and find a pass or a running lane. Not everyone can do that, and the players who can tend to cost a pretty penny. My thought is we probably need 3 new, superior players to what we have now (midfield, striker, AM/winger). Will be pleasantly surprised if we get 2.
Yeah, but we’re not that far away. By any measure we’ve had a decent season, with a few smart moves in the transfer market I think we’re in a good position. Saying that, one complicating factor will be the Euros and Copa America, which will inflate prices.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
He's right.
There is quite a bit of discrepancy between what constitutes a foul on a keeper & what doesn't.

I wonder what he would have thought of Erik Lamela in his side?
He's got quite a bit of bite in his play like Romero but also a good portion of that dark art he refers to.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Ange wants a clear out and replace with players suited to his system. That's ok if said system is suited to the PL. I'm not sure it is !!

Havocc

Havocc

Founding Member
Context? Inherited a poor squad, playing a different style of football. Lost our best player.

IMG_0934.jpeg

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
It was suggested that for Ange's system to work he needs the best players in the league. He had that in Scotland, not sure about elsewhere.
He ain't never gonna have the best players in the PL.
It's a flawed system long term that has been found out.
I doubted the logic on his appointment but went along with it for positivity sake. No PL experience, no top level experience, old and stubborn in his ways.
It's more like Ange Possiblyaintgotaclue....at this level.
I hope I'm wrong and get egg on my face.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
So everyone has faith based on what ?
Based on the following.....

When we arrived, he had to sell the best striker on the planet and not get a direct replacement.
He had to transform the mindset of our squad to think more positively, to play on the front foot and to take the game to the opposition instead of playing the absolute cynical shite we were playing under Mourinho and Conte.
And let's be honest...we're 5th...5TH. Not 8th. And playing football that most Spurs fans want to see. If that was offered to me last August I wouldn't have believed you.
Has he been lacking in certain things ? Yes, absolutely...especially set pieces etc...but the things that have to be improved are there for all to see. 2 midfielders and a top class centre forward being just an example. But he, like every other ex gaffer can only be judged if he's given the tools to improve the squad and that is very firmly in the hands of the dark Lord. Any signing he's made so far have been decent so let's hope he'll be given that opportunity to bring us on.

So that's why I have faith in him because he hasn't had a chance yet. He's got to be given 2 more windows imo. Nobody should be pointing fingers at him until after that. If he hasn't brought us on by then, he's fair game....but until then, we should all get behind him.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Based on the following.....

When we arrived, he had to sell the best striker on the planet and not get a direct replacement.
He had to transform the mindset of our squad to think more positively, to play on the front foot and to take the game to the opposition instead of playing the absolute cynical shite we were playing under Mourinho and Conte.
And let's be honest...we're 5th...5TH. Not 8th. And playing football that most Spurs fans want to see. If that was offered to me last August I wouldn't have believed you.
Has he been lacking in certain things ? Yes, absolutely...especially set pieces etc...but the things that have to be improved are there for all to see. 2 midfielders and a top class centre forward being just an example. But he, like every other ex gaffer can only be judged if he's given the tools to improve the squad and that is very firmly in the hands of the dark Lord. Any signing he's made so far have been decent so let's hope he'll be given that opportunity to bring us on.

So that's why I have faith in him because he hasn't had a chance yet. He's got to be given 2 more windows imo. Nobody should be pointing fingers at him until after that. If he hasn't brought us on by then, he's fair game....but until then, we should all get behind him.
He's 58 and hasn't achieved anything at top level. We have had a run of managers fleecing Levy, take the money and run.
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
He's 58 and hasn't achieved anything at top level. We have had a run of managers fleecing Levy, take the money and run.
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong
Keith Burkinshaw was caretaker at Scunthorpe before getting the job at Spurs. Bill Nicholson didn't manage any pro club before he got the job. Think he did ok too.
I get the impression you're waiting for him to fail....fair play.

Strikegold

Strikegold

Player in Training.
Keith Burkinshaw was caretaker at Scunthorpe before getting the job at Spurs. Bill Nicholson didn't manage any pro club before he got the job. Think he did ok too.
I get the impression you're waiting for him to fail....fair play.
That was a long time ago, football has changed and progressed since then.
I'm not waiting for him to fail with glee if he does. I want what's best for our club.
This is about faith and I can't see where it's coming from.