By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

What to buy...

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
I've got a 1988 muddy fox courier. I love it, proper vintage. Rides like a brick though, luckily I'm such a lazy fucker I don't get on it much.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
There is no way I would have gone over €1000 for a bike, I only do about 100ks a week, 80% of that on nice flat roads. There are bikes that weigh about 2 ounces but 15kg ain't much and when I can't lift that much I will be too doddery to ride the fucker anyway. I looked at getting hydraulic disc brakes put on my old bike, that would have cost me around €400, so I'm not too upset at paying €750 for the whole bike. The bike shop bloke is going to have a go at fixing my wobbly bottom bracket on the old bike when I collect the new one so that will do for visitors (if I ever allow any Covid carrying cunts to come here of course).

Those electric bikes are fecking zippy! I was pelting along the road the other day (25ks an hour is pelting for me!) and some old German bloke went whizzing past me like I was standing still, I thought he was some kind of superfit geezer until I realised he was using an E-bike. I am naturally a lazy fucker so I did not go for an electric bike, I use the bike every morning as my cardio workout so an E-bike wouldn't help much.

Here's a funny thing. I cycle across this line this every day, it's just up the road from our casa!
Meridian.jpg

I can't escape from Sarf fucking London!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
There is no way I would have gone over €1000 for a bike, I only do about 100ks a week, 80% of that on nice flat roads. There are bikes that weigh about 2 ounces but 15kg ain't much and when I can't lift that much I will be too doddery to ride the fucker anyway. I looked at getting hydraulic disc brakes put on my old bike, that would have cost me around €400, so I'm not too upset at paying €750 for the whole bike. The bike shop bloke is going to have a go at fixing my wobbly bottom bracket on the old bike when I collect the new one so that will do for visitors (if I ever allow any Covid carrying cunts to come here of course).

Those electric bikes are fecking zippy! I was pelting along the road the other day (25ks an hour is pelting for me!) and some old German bloke went whizzing past me like I was standing still, I thought he was some kind of superfit geezer until I realised he was using an E-bike. I am naturally a lazy fucker so I did not go for an electric bike, I use the bike every morning as my cardio workout so an E-bike wouldn't help much.

Here's a funny thing. I cycle across this line this every day, it's just up the road from our casa!
View attachment 1227
I can't escape from Sarf fucking London!
Which begs the question why isn’t Spain and France on GMT? Portugal is.....

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Ps you can get great road bikes for £500-600 and even less eBay, Trek, Cannondale and Specialized are all good to start with, loving mine.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Which begs the question why isn’t Spain and France on GMT? Portugal is.....
They like longer, lighter evenings here, more light at night, dark as fuck until 6.30am! I prefer it the other way round myself, but them Spaniels don't listen to me! And, Gibraltar innit!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Ps you can get great road bikes for £500-600 and even less eBay, Trek, Cannondale and Specialized are all good to start with, loving mine.
Batsrads won't ship to Spain though will they? I did look at a couple of online places, all completely out of stock and I wanted a proper bike geezer to put it together for me, I am not good with tools! The bile I ended up with cost the same online (if they had the bugger in stock) , but it seemed to be the only one left in Spain in my size. Loads of midget bikes, girl's bikes but no human sized ones left!

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
I paid £1100 for my bike, then another £2000 on accessories. Trying to do 75 miles a week at moment

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
What do wash bike ?....
No bought a new SmartWatch
I used to have a watch. Now I just look at the sky, if it's dark it's bed time, if it's not then it isn't Things I don't own now:

• Suits
  • Ties
  • Watches
  • A bike - yeah the new bike is bolloxed and it's going back!

Maybe when I get my state pension in 2021 I will be able to buy more stuff, or maybe by then us emmigrants will be denied what we have paid in for for nearly 5o fucking years- even when I was living in the arse-end of Thailand, Oz, NZ, Germany and other places I kept my UK company going and paid my NI contributions so any cunt who wants to argue that I don't deserve it can fuck off. I just had a thought, I started work at 14 (Saturday job),16 full time, and was paying fucking NI right from the start, so that will be 51 years of paying in when I get to retire in 2021!

Things I need to own:

• PRS SE Piezo Hollow body - fuck that's a nice guitar and I don't even want the expensive €8,000 proper one, the SE is fucking beautiful and it's only €900, I have been dropping hints like fuck at Mrs D, so if I keep my fingers crossed maybe ....
  • A bike. I am going to go medieval on the bike geezzer tomorrow, os much wrong with the bike and the setup.
  • Fender Telecaster - she doesn't understand that if you have a Strat you NEED a tele - for balance.
  • A robot pool cleaner, fuck I need one of these doodahs!
  • A new bathroom - WTF? OK , so I don't care. Our current ensuite has a bath, a shower, a bog, a bidet and even a fucking urinal, but we are getting a new bathroom fitted later this week at the cost of a PRS Piezo, a Fender Telecaster, a nice bike and another Telecaster and a few hundred bottles of Lidls plonk!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I used to have a watch. Now I just look at the sky, if it's dark it's bed time, if it's not then it isn't Things I don't own now:

• Suits
  • Ties
  • Watches
  • A bike - yeah the new bike is bolloxed and it's going back!

Maybe when I get my state pension in 2021 I will be able to buy more stuff, or maybe by then us emmigrants will be denied what we have paid in for for nearly 5o fucking years- even when I was living in the arse-end of Thailand, Oz, NZ, Germany and other places I kept my UK company going and paid my NI contributions so any cunt who wants to argue that I don't deserve it can fuck off. I just had a thought, I started work at 14 (Saturday job),16 full time, and was paying fucking NI right from the start, so that will be 51 years of paying in when I get to retire in 2021!

Things I need to own:

• PRS SE Piezo Hollow body - fuck that's a nice guitar and I don't even want the expensive €8,000 proper one, the SE is fucking beautiful and it's only €900, I have been dropping hints like fuck at Mrs D, so if I keep my fingers crossed maybe ....
  • A bike. I am going to go medieval on the bike geezzer tomorrow, os much wrong with the bike and the setup.
  • Fender Telecaster - she doesn't understand that if you have a Strat you NEED a tele - for balance.
  • A robot pool cleaner, fuck I need one of these doodahs!
  • A new bathroom - WTF? OK , so I don't care. Our current ensuite has a bath, a shower, a bog, a bidet and even a fucking urinal, but we are getting a new bathroom fitted later this week at the cost of a PRS Piezo, a Fender Telecaster, a nice bike and another Telecaster and a few hundred bottles of Lidls plonk!
Cant stand PRS,severe lack of tone,even santana`s isnt a patch on his old SG.They are pretty,proper hardware,but the tone falls between fender and les paul and is just too middle nasally for me.I am still planning to import an old yamaha SG 2000 or 3000,serious wedge and still have to pay the VAT on top,but wanted one since the 80s.

I had the chance to buy syd barretts acoustic guitar in the 90s,all sotherbys certificated,it was 5 grand.Even though it was pretty junk,i still wished I had got it for the investment instead of a les paul and gretsch.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Cant stand PRS,severe lack of tone,even santana`s isnt a patch on his old SG.They are pretty,proper hardware,but the tone falls between fender and les paul and is just too middle nasally for me.I am still planning to import an old yamaha SG 2000 or 3000,serious wedge and still have to pay the VAT on top,but wanted one since the 80s.

I had the chance to buy syd barretts acoustic guitar in the 90s,all sotherbys certificated,it was 5 grand.Even though it was pretty junk,i still wished I had got it for the investment instead of a les paul and gretsch.
This one?

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member

I am not a Les Paul fan, I made a bunch of wedge on the one I bought in 1973, it had sat in its case for 30 years, tatty as fuck, all the gold plating worn off, scratched to bugger, but I got £1850 for it and I bought the strat. I never liked the LP, hard to play, heavy as fuck and I wasn't keen on the sound.

I used to agree with you on PRS guitars, but that hollow body doodah with the piezo pickups is a very different beast.

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Pretty sure it wasnt that one,i remember it being very plain and not very special.I bought a 1960 vox ac30 instead,which has hugely increased in value (if i sell it).Its all original,built by alan pyne,who had a crappy old workshop/shop selling bits&pieces.He was a really weird bloke,but i found out later he was a legend of amp building,used to hand build bruce welch (shadows) and bryan mays ac30s.In fact i met a guy here who came up and said "i play a bit",he owes burns guitars,was the guitarist in "that`ll be the day" and deps for hank marvin in the shadows.He borrowed my amp for a shadows tour,and was desperate to buy it.He took it to chandlers (big store in richmond) to have it serviced before the tour and their amp tech worked with alan pyne at the jennings factory.Cost me £600 35 years ago,i just loved the amp,30 watts and the rhythmn guitarists marshall 100w,10 speaker stack couldnt be heard above it if thats what I wanted!!No wonder from 1960 it was used as a whole PA system by the beatles etc.Motto is the best gear lasts forever and if its classic will appreciate in value.

@Dorset i was in studio in cornwall,and a short fat guy came in as I was setting up,he looked at a gold top 59 reissue id borrowed and said "i got a real one",showed him the vox said you dont have one of these though,he was really nice chap and spoke for a bit about gear.When he left i asked the engineer who was that? he said Jo Partridge,he owned a studio down the road in newquay,bastard has floyds dark side of the moon mixing console in it.I am glad i didnt know it was him,cos I would probably just gone "ooooohlaaaaa". and looked more of a dickhead than normal.All his work playing for elton john,kiki dee etc and everyone just gives him the martian from war of the worlds!!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Pretty sure it wasnt that one,i remember it being very plain and not very special.I bought a 1960 vox ac30 instead,which has hugely increased in value (if i sell it).Its all original,built by alan pyne,who had a crappy old workshop/shop selling bits&pieces.He was a really weird bloke,but i found out later he was a legend of amp building,used to hand build bruce welch (shadows) and bryan mays ac30s.In fact i met a guy here who came up and said "i play a bit",he owes burns guitars,was the guitarist in "that`ll be the day" and deps for hank marvin in the shadows.He borrowed my amp for a shadows tour,and was desperate to buy it.He took it to chandlers (big store in richmond) to have it serviced before the tour and their amp tech worked with alan pyne at the jennings factory.Cost me £600 35 years ago,i just loved the amp,30 watts and the rhythmn guitarists marshall 100w,10 speaker stack couldnt be heard above it if thats what I wanted!!No wonder from 1960 it was used as a whole PA system by the beatles etc.Motto is the best gear lasts forever and if its classic will appreciate in value.

@Dorset i was in studio in cornwall,and a short fat guy came in as I was setting up,he looked at a gold top 59 reissue id borrowed and said "i got a real one",showed him the vox said you dont have one of these though,he was really nice chap and spoke for a bit about gear.When he left i asked the engineer who was that? he said Jo Partridge,he owned a studio down the road in newquay,bastard has floyds dark side of the moon mixing console in it.I am glad i didnt know it was him,cos I would probably just gone "ooooohlaaaaa". and looked more of a dickhead than normal.All his work playing for elton john,kiki dee etc and everyone just gives him the martian from war of the worlds!!
Vox AC30's are the absolute doodahs! I never owned one, but I wanted to. The amps we used to use were normally borrowed or second hand, many, many electric shocks from crappy mains connectors, always valve of course!

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
You guys are motorbike nerds but for guitars! Only bit of kit I've got is Yamaha DG80 amp, that's it. I bought because I needed a gigging amp and the knobs were motorised! Only worth 200 now cos you can get all the effects in a peddle. Be fucked if I'm selling it, gonna dig it out and piss off the neighbors!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Vox AC30's are the absolute doodahs! I never owned one, but I wanted to. The amps we used to use were normally borrowed or second hand, many, many electric shocks from crappy mains connectors, always valve of course!
I put my hands on the recess at the back to angle it a bit and it threw me across the room,I tried a reissue of what I have truth is they cant make the wire,circuits,contacts as poorly as 60 years ago,its what gave it its sound,you can copy it but you just cant make it do the same thing.When I bought it the bloke plugged in a LP,straight in no gadgets played the queen one vision intro,and it was just the real deal I didnt plan to spend £600 back then,but couldnt let it pass by.Same when I bought my taylor,i was looking for a 12 string just to have one,i tried loads,60s guilds,martins,and they were all a bit "hey nonny nonny" sounding,that too much 12 string sound.He had a taylor shipment in customs at grays,said he could have it in the shop in a couple of hours and it had a 12 string in the consignment.So I hung around london,went back,he took it out I played it,went wow,hadnt played a taylor before,and i didnt plan to spend nearly 3 grand,but out came mr mastercard.a month later i started gigging with it and have done for 20 years.You can buy class it just costs.And same with a bike,not sure about TVs cos technology moves so fast,but quality things made of wood,metal by craftsmen if you buy right last you your lifetime.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
You guys are motorbike nerds but for guitars! Only bit of kit I've got is Yamaha DG80 amp, that's it. I bought because I needed a gigging amp and the knobs were motorised! Only worth 200 now cos you can get all the effects in a peddle. Be fucked if I'm selling it, gonna dig it out and piss off the neighbors!
I've only got a Roland Cube 40 XL at the moment, loads of Roland effects built in so I don't not need no pedals, I really like using the Looper with the Heavy octave effect then pretending I can do good guitar over it! I thought 40w wouldn't be very loud, but fuck, it is plenty loud enough, never get it above 2 let alone 11.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
I've only got a Roland Cube 40 XL at the moment, loads of Roland effects built in so I don't not need no pedals, I really like using the Looper with the Heavy octave effect then pretending I can do good guitar over it! I thought 40w wouldn't be very loud, but fuck, it is plenty loud enough, never get it above 2 let alone 11.
I've got a baby wah somewhere (must dig that out) a must for the Enter Sandman solo is that and also a boss stomp pedal for Nirvana style effects. What were your first guitars?

I got an encore from Argos for £80 quid when I was 17, rough as fuck with only a double humbucker of some dubious design but it's the guitar I learned on. Then I stripped it, painted it metallic silver/blue and painted the Fear of the Dark cover on it (for some reason) it's in the loft I think. Then I got a strat copy that's cheap and weighs a tonne! Was fine until the selector switch gave up.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I've got a baby wah somewhere (must dig that out) a must for the Enter Sandman solo is that and also a boss stomp pedal for Nirvana style effects. What were your first guitars?

I got an encore from Argos for £80 quid when I was 17, rough as fuck with only a double humbucker of some dubious design but it's the guitar I learned on. Then I stripped it, painted it metallic silver/blue and painted the Fear of the Dark cover on it (for some reason) it's in the loft I think. Then I got a strat copy that's cheap and weighs a tonne! Was fine until the selector switch gave up.
Myfirst guitar was a Chad Valley toy electric! Then I got a strat copy which I thought was the absolute bollox of the dog, since then I've had 4 or 5 strats, mostly Mexican, one Les Paul , a Rickenbacker bass and an Ibanzez something or other - I hated that, it had no soul! Now I only have three, the beautiful American Stratocaster Deluxe, A LAG Tarmontane accoustic which is the nicest sounding acoustic I've ever owned, and an old Washburn N1 wot I use open G tuning on and have some fun!

There's a brilliant Canadian guitar fanatic called Darrell Braun on Youtube, he owns a lot of classics (8 telecasters - not fair, I haven't even got one yet) and he does some brilliant reviews on top banana models and some cheapies.

Just for @skiathospurs who don't like PRS geetars, here's his review on the next guitar I am going to buy!

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
I've got a Kubicki Ex Factor bass.

Such a distinct look, sound, & feel.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I bought a waterproof bluetooth speaker yesterday for me pool innit. It was shit so I sent it back, to Amazon, It was an Ay summfink or other, it had several thousand good reviews and was about €50 so I thought I'd give it a go. Blaaarrghh! Distorted, shit sound, no bass so back it went - Amazon Prime is one of the things that works really well here in Spaniel Land. I ordered a JBL Charge 4 instead which has just been delivered and it is fucking brilliant! Mrs D is swimming around the pool listening to Adele and I'll be in tomorrow morning with a bit of AC/DC maybe? Nah, too early and I like most of my neighbours. The bass is amazing, crystal clear playing AIFF files form my phone, it is really, really good. We have been listening to UK morning talk shows on the terrace at brekkie time and the sound from my phone is pony, it's just a cheap Xiaomi doodah, good phone but for €120 I wouldn't expect great sound, so ...... tomorrow morning I can listen to that total cunt Andrew Castle in high quality audio!

Today I have mostly been learning how to play Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones in open G tuning. It has taken me 50 years of guitar playing to finally work out how Keef played that shit! I could have saved all that arthritis in my fingers if I had known about open tunings earlier. Sounds amazing and is a piece of piss to play! I also found out on Youtube how to play one of my fave tunes - Midnight Rambler (check out the Get Yer Ya Yas Out live Stones Album, the first live album to reach number 1 in the UK charts, 1970, it was and is fucking brilliant - ) in standard tuning and that too is really easy to play. I have been trying to do stuff the hard way, when the simple way is always the best.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Bike sorted, nice!

I've just ordered a bone nut and bridge for my LAG Tramotone accoustic guitar, I fucking hate the plastic ones they put on guitars these days - what's that all about? The bone nut and bridge cost €9 , my guitar cost €400, they only use bone on the really expensive guitars - why? I ask myself, the voices sometimes reply and tell me it is a conspiracy against me and I should destroy them, but usually there is just silence. I love the sound from the LAG it is one of the nicest I have played but the B string has cut into the shitp plastic nut and is buzzing, only bit, but enough to make me want to do the bad things. I have also ordered one of them new fangled 3 string capos so I can play DADGAD tuning without having to fuck around tuning it, and I can yank it off ( ooh er missus ) and play 'proper' tuning.

The PRS E Piezo is still a work in progress, I wants it, I needs it, the precious will belongs to me and those nasty hobitssses will not have it! I need to do something good for Mrs D for her to sanction the deal. Maybe I'll take the rubbish up to the baser tomorrow, I know it's her job, like cooking and stuff, but I will have to make the sacrifice.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Bike sorted, nice!

I've just ordered a bone nut and bridge for my LAG Tramotone accoustic guitar, I fucking hate the plastic ones they put on guitars these days - what's that all about? The bone nut and bridge cost €9 , my guitar cost €400, they only use bone on the really expensive guitars - why? I ask myself, the voices sometimes reply and tell me it is a conspiracy against me and I should destroy them, but usually there is just silence. I love the sound from the LAG it is one of the nicest I have played but the B string has cut into the shitp plastic nut and is buzzing, only bit, but enough to make me want to do the bad things. I have also ordered one of them new fangled 3 string capos so I can play DADGAD tuning without having to fuck around tuning it, and I can yank it off ( ooh er missus ) and play 'proper' tuning.

The PRS E Piezo is still a work in progress, I wants it, I needs it, the precious will belongs to me and those nasty hobitssses will not have it! I need to do something good for Mrs D for her to sanction the deal. Maybe I'll take the rubbish up to the baser tomorrow, I know it's her job, like cooking and stuff, but I will have to make the sacrifice.
Interesting capo tell me more... Old bag!

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
I bought a waterproof bluetooth speaker yesterday for me pool innit. It was shit so I sent it back, to Amazon, It was an Ay summfink or other, it had several thousand good reviews and was about €50 so I thought I'd give it a go. Blaaarrghh! Distorted, shit sound, no bass so back it went - Amazon Prime is one of the things that works really well here in Spaniel Land. I ordered a JBL Charge 4 instead which has just been delivered and it is fucking brilliant! Mrs D is swimming around the pool listening to Adele and I'll be in tomorrow morning with a bit of AC/DC maybe? Nah, too early and I like most of my neighbours. The bass is amazing, crystal clear playing AIFF files form my phone, it is really, really good. We have been listening to UK morning talk shows on the terrace at brekkie time and the sound from my phone is pony, it's just a cheap Xiaomi doodah, good phone but for €120 I wouldn't expect great sound, so ...... tomorrow morning I can listen to that total cunt Andrew Castle in high quality audio!

Today I have mostly been learning how to play Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones in open G tuning. It has taken me 50 years of guitar playing to finally work out how Keef played that shit! I could have saved all that arthritis in my fingers if I had known about open tunings earlier. Sounds amazing and is a piece of piss to play! I also found out on Youtube how to play one of my fave tunes - Midnight Rambler (check out the Get Yer Ya Yas Out live Stones Album, the first live album to reach number 1 in the UK charts, 1970, it was and is fucking brilliant - ) in standard tuning and that too is really easy to play. I have been trying to do stuff the hard way, when the simple way is always the best.
I've mostly been playing QUO with some iron Maiden mixed in. The QUO because I thought it would be an ironic piss taky thing to do but actually I take it all back because it's incredibly clever if simple song writing and enormous fun, everyone can sing it and I just love belting it out for the neighbours! Kind of like wonderwall for the 80s although Oasis are utter dog shit and I'd never play any of their turd, except one, once, maybe twice, just to try it out like, but then I vomited over the cheapness of the lyrics and that was that, BANNED.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Interesting capo tell me more... Old bag!
I thought these things were a new fangled bit of kit, but looking on Youtube there are 12 year old videos about them. I'd never heard of them until recently. Here's my favourite Youtube bloke explaining how they work. I ordered the Keyser one like my hero has got, it was only €20. I am not a precious guitarist like one of my mates who thinks capos are for pussies and open tuning is cheating, feck that, I will use whatever tuning makes playing easier.

1 finger chord progressions? Nice, especially for old folks like me whose fingers are getting a bit creaky.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I've mostly been playing QUO with some iron Maiden mixed in. The QUO because I thought it would be an ironic piss taky thing to do but actually I take it all back because it's incredibly clever if simple song writing and enormous fun, everyone can sing it and I just love belting it out for the neighbours! Kind of like wonderwall for the 80s although Oasis are utter dog shit and I'd never play any of their turd, except one, once, maybe twice, just to try it out like, but then I vomited over the cheapness of the lyrics and that was that, BANNED.
Status Quo were the masters of 12 bar riffs mate. I have never got why 'proper' guitarists slag off the Quo, I have seen them live probably over 20 times since the 70's and have never been disappointed. So-called experts who think you have to play complicated suspended 7th augmented 9th chords using all four fingers and your elbow and all that old bollocks get right on my thrupnies. I used to play in a band with a an incredible jazz guitarist who played chords I didn't know existed, and I could not play - but they sounded like shit to me, so I never bothered to learn how,