By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Mauricio Pochettino

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I cannot remember ever being this gutted at seeing someone leave our club. I've never been happier with Spurs than during these five years. Now, adding insult to injury, he's gonna be replaced by the man I hate most in football.

And now I'll be looking askance at all these players I love, wondering what went on behind the scenes.

This is gonna be tough.
For what it's worth, thus far only Dele has had anything public to say about it that I can tell:

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
It looks more & more likely that it will be Mourinho taking over.

If that is the case, I sincerely hope that he brings us success AND the entertainment value most Spurs fans crave.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
EJxjt8eXsAcU5Ep

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
It looks more & more likely that it will be Mourinho taking over.

If that is the case, I sincerely hope that he brings us success AND the entertainment value most Spurs fans crave.
Fuck me mate, I thought I lived in a fantasy world, but even I won't be holding my breath waiting for 'entertainment value' from a Mourinho team.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Mourinho is a winner and proven in the premier league, better than some of the other names being thrown around
He was. He didn't do so well last time did he? He is finished, burnt out.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
He was. He didn't do so well last time did he? He is finished, burnt out.
And there you have the real issue,even before appointment he divides us.Its like george graham all over again,we covert what a hated rival once had when probably that managers phase has come and gone.There are so many potential downsides to his appointment barring a massive upturn which means an actual trophy this season,beyond a 6 month bounce I cant see long term how this will be good for the club.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Mourinho has never left a club in a better place than he found it. Whenever he has sensed that his time is nearing an end he carpet bombs the joint.

It’s not the short term that worries me. It’s what happens later on.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Mourinho has never left a club in a better place than he found it. Whenever he has sensed that his time is nearing an end he carpet bombs the joint.

It’s not the short term that worries me. It’s what happens later on.

The scary thing here is it's rare for a player to hold any allegiance to Mourinho.

I reckon these players especially ones who stopped playing for Poch are going to get a really big dose of its not always greener.

I reckon Son and Kane could be gone. Son already said as much. Our team could easily fall to pieces with this wamker in charge.

I'm gutted, deflated and just can't be arsed anymore.

On another note, Tobys interview was a fucking disgrace. Couldn't stop grinning. What a cunt.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Guillem Balague's (author of Poch's book) view

Tottenham sacking may be liberating for Mauricio Pochettino - Guillem Balague column

I was convinced Mauricio Pochettino was not going to quit Tottenham but his future was not in his hands and, although I cannot understand many of the reasons behind his sacking, it has also felt like the end of the road for a while.
And, in a way, it may feel like a liberation for him and his coaching staff.
Pochettino is a fighter and wanted to continue fighting, but in the end whether he stayed or went was always going to depend on the club. He has paid the price for recent results, results which are the consequence of a decay of the squad predicted by the Argentine 18 months ago.
For more than a year now he has been trying to manage some difficult situations at Spurs, and 18 defeats in 2019 tells you a story which goes beyond what happened this season.
You could see that it would not end well unless things changed properly at the club in the summer - and big time. But they really didn't.
At the heart of it all is the two transfer windows from the end of January 2018 until the summer of 2019 when they did not sign anyone.
Pochettino had warned the club what was happening and chairman Daniel Levy decided it wasn't the time to invest in new players because his priority has been to be in the top four with minimum spend.
Pochettino, who was not asking for more money but quick and clever resolutions in the market, couldn't do the job to the best of his abilities.
It meant a change in the dynamic of the relationship between the two most pivotal men at the club.
When they first met each other and began working together they didn't fully understand each other's ideas of exactly what kind of club they both wanted, but then after a well-documented trip to Argentina there was much more synergy. Levy understood what Pochettino wanted and Pochettino knew the limits he had to work with.
But it got to the point that when the recycling of the squad wasn't forthcoming, that synergy wasn't continued and there was a logical frustration on Pochettino's side.
I wouldn't say the pair are friends as such - there was a professional relationship but it became clear the priorities for both men started being different. A new stadium should mean a more ambitious club, the manager thought. But Levy did not move an inch from the club intentions.
Maybe Pochettino should have left in the summer but that was never going to happen. If Levy did not think there was a way back or out, the only solution was to get rid of him and his coaching staff.
The compensation will be more than the £12m reported, as he and the five members of his coaching staff have more than three years left on their contracts.
Levy was clearly not scared of that and bringing a new leader to a project that cannot compete in the short or medium term with the richest clubs in the country. It obviously does not faze him.
There has been talk of player discontent but I don't think Pochettino lost the dressing room.
He took a couple of steps back from certain situations because in some cases he could not punish or replace players as there was nobody to replace them with.

Chairman Daniel Levy appointed Mauricio Pochettino as Tottenham manager in May 2014
But the same faces and the same voices do create erosion after a while. To reproduce what Spurs did between 2015 and 2018, the best version of the team, players had to come and go, and the club either did not agree with some movements or could not get rid of players.
Everyone can see that Spurs getting to the Champions League final in June was a miracle, maximising the potential of a side that was already on the decline.
You have heard the likes of Harry Kane asking for more from the players, frustrated because things that had been learned were abandoned.
But things were not happening and performances were not the best, for different reasons.
Some players were attracted to other clubs and distracted, while others had reached their potential and have declined, but are still around. Spurs are not sacking him because the players asked for it or the relationship deteriorated. Nothing of the sort.
This is a board decision based on a professional relationship where, between Pochettino and Levy, there was not much more to say to each other.

It was a divorce that many people can relate to - it gets to the point where what else can you say, how can it improve? You know what you want to do but you're not heard anymore.
Pochettino's next step, I think, will be to rest. This period has been very demanding.
He and his coaching staff know options will open up for them once they return home. He has admirers at Bayern Munich, Juventus and Real Madrid.
But one of the things that stopped him going anywhere before now is the fact there was compensation to pay.
Real and Juve have considered him but having to negotiate a price for his services with Levy put them off.
Generally when a sacking happens the club can add a clause in which they stop the manager going to certain teams. In exchange for a big compensation, could Levy add that he doesn't go to Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester United?
United did want him when they appointed Jose Mourinho but they are backing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer strongly, so that option seems gone for now.
Like the last day of the best summer, it feels like Spurs have left behind a romance that will be unforgettable, but that could not be taken into autumn.

Attachments

• 1574267218910.gif
    1574267218910.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 140
Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I think that this is the worst thing that could happen to our team and the best thing that could happen to Poch. I wish him nothing but success and I will follow him for the rest of his career, I am sure he will be a top manager. I wanted him to become a legend at Spurs but how could he do that with Levy holding onto the money? Maybe the cuntish one will do well, I am not especially arsed. I don't reckon he will be able to be 'special' with a team pissed off at not getting the same money as players in other top clubs get, and he will probably also struggle to get the players he wants and lose the ones he wants because with Levy it's all down to the readies. I almost lost the will to live when AVB was killing our football, if that happens again, even if we win every fucking trophy going I won't be happy.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Mourinho on Pochettino
I’ve been smiling for two days. First of all I do it with a bit of sadness, I have to speak about Mauricio.
I have to congratulate him on the incredible job he did. I share with you what we shared inside. This club will always be his home, this training ground his training ground. He is always welcome here.
Tomorrow is another day. He will find happiness soon. He will give everything like he did at this club. He will leave with sadness with the feeling that he did great work. It is what everyone at the club felt.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
two days ago i was sad. the best manager i have witnessed lead our side (supported since 2006) is out. i felt like i was punched in the gut and kicked in the dick at the same time.

yesterdat i was mad. i couldnt believe the rumors of jose. fck jose. hes a piece of shit. i hate his old ways (battle of words with managers - though very entertaining) and tactics (we have a boring 6 - 4 years (lolol he wont last past 3. he never does...) in front of us). Then he is hired and i am just fcking livid.

now, i am hoping he takes us forward.

thank you, Poch for everything the past 5 years. I hope you have every success in the world in the future. you deserve it.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Mourinho says he has learned from the past & is a changed man.

I hope it is true & he brings us success on the field in an entertaining manner.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Now I'm sad all over again. If Levy had held firm, we could have gotten through this, and maybe he establishes a dynasty like Fergie. Now we get to take a new gamble every two-and-a-half years like everybody else.

Liam

Liam

Founding Member
Sad to see the man go as I was in the "Poch in" camp, but results, and performances have been really poor since February tbf. That's quite a long time and think the CL run covered things up a bit. I was singing his name at home after I heard the news but as a club we move on and I wish him well.

It's fair to say that he moved the standard of our play, and expectations up a gear, and for that I'm grateful.

I hope he does well elsewhere, just not in the premier league.

Rev John Ripsher

Rev John Ripsher

Player in Training.
So, try as I might I cannot find the reason for changing managers on here.
This is a sum up of a conversation I had at the Olympiakos game with a season ticket holder I know who knows Levy.
Poch was offered and accepted the job at Man Utd a month ago, when he met Levy and asked to go, Levy refused.
Jose Mourinho was brought in and Poch was "Relieved of his duties" with immediate effect.
Poch is still being paid up to a maximum of 9 months or until he finds a job abroad.

Levy out? Give me strength.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
So, try as I might I cannot find the reason for changing managers on here.
This is a sum up of a conversation I had at the Olympiakos game with a season ticket holder I know who knows Levy.
Poch was offered and accepted the job at Man Utd a month ago, when he met Levy and asked to go, Levy refused.
Jose Mourinho was brought in and Poch was "Relieved of his duties" with immediate effect.
Poch is still being paid up to a maximum of 9 months or until he finds a job abroad.

Levy out? Give me strength.
If you’re right, hats off, you will be allowed to choose an animal for ITK, and I will tip my hat! In fact you will be the hat of all hats.