By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Mauricio Pochettino

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Isn't it Levy's job to deal with contracts?

He's only been here '5 mins' to be honest, I think his record demands more time than that?
For a period it seems Poch was much more involved,job title became manager,then it changed he started saying a pressers when I asked,he didnt know about transfers and contracts,the dynamic definitly changed.Rose was told he would be leaving,but has publically stood behind Poch since,Levy good with business,not so good dealing with humans I think?.

As for Jose we will see,you could argue the same about george graham, after his appointment.

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
For a period it seems Poch was much more involved,job title became manager,then it changed he started saying a pressers when I asked,he didn't know about transfers and contracts,the dynamic definitely changed.Rose was told he would be leaving,but has publicly stood behind Poch since,Levy good with business,not so good dealing with humans I think?.

As for Jose we will see, you could argue the same about george graham, after his appointment.
Didn't we have a committee for transfers, Poch would have been part of that?

You can not liken the careers or accolades of Graham with Mourinho, each are very different. One is a gooner and one is a chav so I get the dislike angle however, that's as far as they can be compared IMO.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Mourinho is a cunt, Poch is not a cunt. I do not want a cunt as manager of my team. Simple. I like winning trophies, but not at any cost. The 'good old boys' in the other place who didn't give a flying fuck about the game, only results, would like Mourinho I hate him because he is a has-been, egocentric, divisive cunt. I would rather lose with Poch than win ugly with Mourinho. Levy out (and take that cunt with you).

“It’s no use just winning, we’ve got to win well.” Sir Bill

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
I hear what you're saying. I've been a fan since the late 70s, grew up on Hoddle (the greatest player I have ever seen in our shirt),Ardiles, etc.

I also get why people are against Mourinho (putting aside his Chav background) it's almost like he plays 'anti-football' however, the game is about glory and there is no glory in coming 2nd-4th or losing a CL final. There is only glory in trophies, IMO.
Oh no here we go again, with another I’ve been a fan since goodness knows when, seen it all and done it all - really you’re just a wum.

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
Mourinho is a cunt, Poch is not a cunt. I do not want a cunt as manager of my team. Simple. I like winning trophies, but not at any cost. The 'good old boys' in the other place who didn't give a flying fuck about the game, only results, would like Mourinho I hate him because he is a has-been, egocentric, divisive cunt. I would rather lose with Poch than win ugly with Mourinho. Levy out (and take that cunt with you).

“It’s no use just winning, we’ve got to win well.” Sir Bill

Explain how Mourinho is a 'has been'?? Won 2 trophies and challenged for the title in his last job, whilst in charge of a really shit squad.

"The game is about glory" - perhaps you can tell me what glory there is in winning nothing??

Oh no here we go again, with another I’ve been a fan since goodness knows when, seen it all and done it all - really you’re just a wum.
I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I mentioned how long I had been a fan in response to another post which was along the same lines.

If you have a point to counter mine then make it.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
'Has been'? How can you possibly think that?

Won the EL and League Cup with a shit Utd team and challenged for the league. That was his last job, so how is Mourinho past it?
Because during his time at Utd he spent £362 million on 11 players building that shit squad.
Poch had a net spend of under £45 million in 5 years where we challenged the best, played the Spurs way, created excitement, joy and gave the young a shot....yeah things went a bit sour at the end but when you've managed to keep an entire squad together for 5 years, keep them happy despite wages were triple elsewhere, all giving everything for you and all you need is a bit of support from Duck arse Daniel, and you get fuck all....there was only going to be one outcome.
Mourinho is out of touch,. The game has moved on. The Poch's, klopps and Pep's of this world are a billion lightyears ahead of this bloke.
Anyway, as I said, he's here now. He's the gaffer of the club I love so....I'll get behind him...end of.....club first....always.!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Explain how Mourinho is a 'has been'?? Won 2 trophies and challenged for the title in his last job, whilst in charge of a really shit squad.

"The game is about glory" - perhaps you can tell me what glory there is in winning nothing??

I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I mentioned how long I had been a fan in response to another post which was along the same lines.

If you have a point to counter mine then make it.
Explain? Who the fuck do you think you are? Fuck off and stick your 'sad' emoji up wherever is most uncomfortable.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Only been here a couple of days but I can already see you're the forum clown.
👍🏻
Oh no, some cunt is being horrible to me! That's never happened before, I am so upset. If only the old forum was till running, they all loved me there - and my discyclists. Why not stop being a cunt demanding people make 'counter arguments' and to 'explain' - or are you so fucking important because you have been a THFC fan for so long and know everything? I wish I had been a Spurs fan for a long time like you, that must be so nice.

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
Oh no, some cunt is being horrible to me! That's never happened before, I am so upset. If only the old forum was till running, they all loved me there - and my discyclists. Why not stop being a cunt demanding people make 'counter arguments' and to 'explain' - or are you so fucking important because you have been a THFC fan for so long and know everything? I wish I had been a Spurs fan for a long time like you, that must be so nice.
Not 'demanding' anything, calm down love you'll have a heart attack.

FYI - Forum - A medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, I just feel if you don't agree with something you should properly explain why? Never mind..... enjoy your afternoon. 👍

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
Because during his time at Utd he spent £362 million on 11 players building that shit squad.
Poch had a net spend of under £45 million in 5 years where we challenged the best, played the Spurs way, created excitement, joy and gave the young a shot....yeah things went a bit sour at the end but when you've managed to keep an entire squad together for 5 years, keep them happy despite wages were triple elsewhere, all giving everything for you and all you need is a bit of support from Duck arse Daniel, and you get fuck all....there was only going to be one outcome.
Mourinho is out of touch,. The game has moved on. The Poch's, klopps and Pep's of this world are a billion lightyears ahead of this bloke.
Anyway, as I said, he's here now. He's the gaffer of the club I love so....I'll get behind him...end of.....club first....always.!
A decent post and you make a valid point about the money spent however, 45 players came into Spurs while Poch was in charge, That's a lot of players for only a top 4 return. I remember when people laughed at Arsenal and the 'Wenger Cup', that is the limit of the ambition for a lot of fans now.

Klopp and Pep win things, Poch has not. He's a good guy and I wish him well at Utd (whether that's Manchester or Newcastle) but let's not sugar coat his tenure.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
A decent post and you make a valid point about the money spent however, 45 players came into Spurs while Poch was in charge, That's a lot of players for only a top 4 return. I remember when people laughed at Arsenal and the 'Wenger Cup', that is the limit of the ambition for a lot of fans now.

Klopp and Pep win things, Poch has not. He's a good guy and I wish him well at Utd (whether that's Manchester or Newcastle) but let's not sugar coat his tenure.
Woah....... "sugar coat his tenure".... now you are taking the piss...!!!

If you cant see that your comment is utter horse shite considering what he delivered to us over his time then I will actually give up.

He didn't give us silverware granted, that was his sole limitation imo.... but if you put it into perspective there isnt an infinite amount of silver to be dished out and we were doing it on a fucking shoestring with the chairman being a fucking cunt as per fucking unusual.

By your yard stick Ramos was a rip roaring success then..... for fuck sake please....!!!

Poch provided a style of football and memories that will sustain me well through this has been pricks "tenure" and probably beyond, until we get lucky with another great manager...

The moments, memories and how he did it was the important thing. Yes a trophy would have been nice, the icing on the cake but the journey and thrill he gave us cannot be summed up as fucking "sugar coating".... that is a solid gold piss take and I think you know it...!!!

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
Woah....... "sugar coat his tenure".... now you are taking the piss...!!!

If you cant see that your comment is utter horse shite considering what he delivered to us over his time then I will actually give up.

He didn't give us silverware granted, that was his sole limitation imo.... but if you put it into perspective there isnt an infinite amount of silver to be dished out and we were doing it on a fucking shoestring with the chairman being a fucking cunt as per fucking unusual.

By your yard stick Ramos was a rip roaring success then..... for fuck sake please....!!!

Poch provided a style of football and memories that will sustain me well through this has been pricks "tenure" and probably beyond, until we get lucky with another great manager...

The moments, memories and how he did it was the important thing. Yes a trophy would have been nice, the icing on the cake but the journey and thrill he gave us cannot be summed up as fucking "sugar coating".... that is a solid gold piss take and I think you know it...!!!
Agreed there have been some great memories and the football (apart from his final 8/9 months) was really good however, I also remember the semi final defeats and not to mention the CL defeat.

A lot of fans forget those because well you know, 'it's Poch'. That doesn't wash with me. He took us as far as he could and I wish him well for the future.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
@Favour I see where you're coming from.
You want success as do all Spurs fans. But how do you define success?

Some have their doubts about Jose even though he has won wherever he has gone. I do commend him for getting results but there's a reason the world calls it "the beautiful game". Barcelona & Ajax are the forerunners of this proactive, expressive, possessve & expansive football. They have been for years with Michels, Crujff,& even Pep. Mourinho has rejected it even though he was immersed in Barcelona's DNA under Sir Bobby Robson.

Mourinho's is reactive football Apart from his early days at Porto & first stint at CFC, his approach has been "win at any cost". Just avoid losing. His beliefs are counter intuitive to what glorious football is.. His thinking is that:
1. whoever makes the most mistakes is more likely to lose. (there's truth in this)
2. the team that has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.(there's truth in this too)
3. so let the other team have the ball & provoke them to make mistakes (that's a choice to make)

So he'd much rather not have the ball.
Spurs fans want the ball. That's when the magic happens.
I've always believed that the game is far more fun to play when you have the ball.
Furthermore, it's much harder for the other team to score when they don't have the ball. These are elementary postulates.

Poch is a very different animal & I'll avoid speaking of the vast differences in personality & character.

Before Poch took the job, he delved into the history of Spurs.
He embraced the clubs ethos. He knew what the club was about & what the fans wanted. He did his best to deliver with little resources.

In a very short period, he got us playing exciting & attractive football. He had a willingness to introduce & work with youth. Players played with a bravado & flair even though they were much younger than their opponents. If they didn't have the ball, they would hunt it down like a pack of wolves.. They wanted to show what they could do. Consequently, most opposition hated playing against us because they knew it was going to be a very grueling & potentially humbling experience.. I'm not going to speak for others here but I really looked forward to each. game. I loved watching them & my expectations rose with them. I believed we could win each time out. Even when we lost' I still felt some pride because we generally outplayed them & fought right til the end..

Yes there were challenges. Times when many felt he should have made a change in tactics or player earlier in the game to effect a result but didn't or was too late. These were either growing pains or simply that he was letting his players on the field know that he had faith in them. But for the most part it was very positive & an encouraging time. There's no denying that he lifted us up.

Poch seems like a very honorable man. He doesn't even have a rep. He represents himself & his word & a handshake are good enough for him.. There came a point where he stated that he needed players. A refreshing of the team was imperative. But didn't get it. Where have we heard that before? I sense someone may have broken his word (probably Levy) & as @Dorset says 'he got the hump'. If that was the case, I wouldn't be surprised if that may have disillusioned him. Could he fulfill his & the fans ambitions with little to no investment? Note the omission of a key figure.

You're right. He didn't win us trophies, but he got us much closer than we have been in quite some time. I mean, he got us to compete at the summit of club football.

I;ll digress slightly.
I take great pride in knowing a little country like Greece won the Euros. King Otto Rehhagel was/is an intelligent man & tactician. He had a plan to best utilize what players he had as some of his more talented players were left behind in Greece given they didn't buy into the team first mentality. The team was resilient & played their hearts out to a T. It was an immense over achievement & they didn't do it with sexy football. Nevertheless, nothing can take that victory away.

So why did I bring this up? Because he did what he did to win. Something Mourinho does too.
But there is a big difference in how Otto Rehhagel & Mourinho employ their tactics & players at their disposal. Rehhagel had players of very limited ability yet through the way he set them up he was able to bring the best out of them. Conversely, Mourinho has had some of the best talents in the world yet he is prone to shackling them with his suffocating tactics. He inhibits their potential.

But I genuinely do hope he can bring us success.

S*#t. Sorry for rambling on.

Last edited:
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

Some have their doubts about Jose even though he has won wherever he has gone. I do commend him for getting results but there's a reason the world calls it "the beautiful game". Barcelona & Ajax are the forerunners of this proactive, expressive, possessve & expansive football. They have been for years with Michels, Crujff,& even Pep. Mourinho has rejected it even though he was immersed in Barcelona's DNA under Sir Bobby Robson.

Mourinho's is reactive football Apart from his early days at Porto & first stint at CFC, his approach has been "win at any cost". Just avoid losing. His beliefs are counter intuitive to what glorious football is.. His thinking is that:
1. whoever makes the most mistakes is more likely to lose. (there's truth in this)
2. the team that has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.(there's truth in this too)
3. so let the other team have the ball & provoke them to make mistakes (that's a choice to make)

I've always believed that the game is far more fun to play when you have the ball.
Furthermore, it's much harder for the other team to score when they don't have the ball. These are elementary postulates.

Poch is a very different animal & I'll avoid speaking of the vast differences in personality & character.

He embraced the clubs ethos. He knew what the club was about & what the fans wanted. He did his best to deliver with little resources.

In a very short period, he got us playing exciting & attractive football. He had a willingness to introduce & work with youth. Players played with a bravado & flair even though they were much younger than their opponents. If they didn't have the ball, they would hunt it down like a pack of wolves.. They wanted to show what they could do. Consequently, most opposition hated playing against us because they knew it was going to be a very grueling & potentially humbling experience.. I'm not going to speak for others here but I really looked forward to each. game. I loved watching them & my expectations rose with them. I believed we could win each time out. Even when we lost' I still felt some pride because we generally outplayed them & fought right til the end..

Yes there were challenges. Times when many felt he should have made a change in tactics or player earlier in the game to effect a result but didn't or was too late. These were either growing pains or simply that he was letting his players on the field know that he had faith in them. But for the most part it was very positive & an encouraging time. There's no denying that he lifted us up.

Poch seems like a very honorable man. He doesn't even have a rep. He represents himself & his word & a handshake are good enough for him.. There came a point where he stated that he needed players. A refreshing of the team was imperative. But didn't get it. Where have we heard that before? I sense someone may have broken his word (probably Levy) & as @Dorset says 'he got the hump'. If that was the case, I wouldn't be surprised if that may have disillusioned him. Could he fulfill his & the fans ambitions with little to no investment? Note the omission of a key figure.

You're right. He didn't win us trophies, but he got us much closer than we have been in quite some time. I mean, he got us to compete at the summit of club football.

I;ll digress slightly.
I take great pride in knowing a little country like Greece won the Euros. King Otto Rehhagel was/is an intelligent man & tactician. He had a plan to best utilize what players he had as some of his more talented players were left behind in Greece given they didn't buy into the team first mentality. The team was resilient & played their hearts out to a T. It was an immense over achievement & they didn't do it with sexy football. Nevertheless, nothing can take that victory away.

So why did I bring this up? Because he did what he did to win. Something Mourinho does too.
But there is a big difference in how Otto Rehhagel & Mourinho employ their tactics & players at their disposal. Rehhagel had players of very limited ability yet through the way he set them up he was able to bring the best out of them. Conversely, Mourinho has had some of the best talents in the world yet he is prone to shackling them with his suffocating tactics. He inhibits their potential.

excellent,i must say one thing the barca I saw early 80s were the most shithouse violent team even surpassing leeds of early 70s era,like arsenal they were not a team renowned for the beautiful game,before the 90s and changes in manager.

Where I have doubts over Jose is bar porto,he has been at clubs in the top 2 of their domestic league,huge clubs of european stature or at a club willing to spend anything on players.That is not spurs under Levy,we need to improve what we have,bring through academy players with nurturing,and buy up and coming talent rather than raiding the big european 10`s squads of ready made world leading talent.
Simply I doubt he is the right fit for our club with how we provide players for the team,and unlike a tournament where 8 games wins you a trophy,in a league of 38 games the level of players over tactics will show through,OFC both are key to being winners.I dont think pragmatic football at tottenham will go down well unless we are gobbling up trophies,like graham fans will tolerate but be quick to turn when it presents itself.Is that unfair on Jose?yes totally but thats the nature of his appointment.More than how Mourinho works with the team is how Levy works with Mourinho,will we buy to fill the right holes or keep buying with an eye on return on investment.We can buy a modric,eriksen when they are developing,but will we cash in or sign players of their calibre when they are on top of their game?probably not.

I hope he brings us success,the rewriting of tottenham`s history to make Poch a failure disturbs me,he took us in to the champions league over and over,finishing over woolwich,to finals and countless semi-finals,its hardly like in the last 30 years we achieved anything of the like bar 2 league cup wins to 2 of our worst managers.

Its a huge job,fans had a taste of good times with a loved manager,fans are disgruntled with the owners,a lot of players are at their end of the time with the club so its a rebuild job in many ways.He will have to earn his £15m a year to turn what went from honey to anchovy paste in 10 months with all that is going on at our club,let alone several others with new money,and the old big 4 to fight against.

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.

I;ll digress slightly.

That's a great post. Thanks for taking the time to reply and write it.

To answer your question, How do I define success, I think Poch should have delivered more than a few semi final losses and top 4 finishes. He brought 45 players in to the club during his time.

Was he a success? No he wasn't IMO.

He's a great guy and really connected with the fans, much the same as Jol did. When do we ask though... is that enough?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
That's a great post. Thanks for taking the time to reply and write it.

To answer your question, How do I define success, I think Poch should have delivered more than a few semi final losses and top 4 finishes. He brought 45 players in to the club during his time.

Was he a success? No he wasn't IMO.

He's a great guy and really connected with the fans, much the same as Jol did. When do we ask though... is that enough?
So when it suits it was transfers by committee,or it is simply Poch`s fault in other scenarios.?

I would love to see the 45 players claimed to have been signed,is that including kids signing pro contracts,kids signed for the academy,kids breaking into the 1st team,loan signings,because from transfermarket that figure is way,way out.We dined like kings whilst he shopped at Lidl,Its almost like there isnt a correlation between spending and trophies.
If it wasnt for last summers transfers of sessegnon,ndombele,Clarke Poch`s tenure would have shown a cash surplus in transfer dealings,but I guess an argument would put that down to Levy.

There are omissions below such as pau lopez`s one season loan,but includes tracey and clarke signed for the academy.I dont think 18 players have been missed here.
EN2bE8GXUAIDycC

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
So when it suits it was transfers by committee,or it is simply Poch`s fault in other scenarios.?

I would love to see the 45 players claimed to have been signed,is that including kids signing pro contracts,kids signed for the academy,kids breaking into the 1st team,loan signings,because from transfermarket that figure is way,way out.We dined like kings whilst he shopped at Lidl,Its almost like there isnt a correlation between spending and trophies.
If it wasnt for last summers transfers of sessegnon,ndombele,Clarke Poch`s tenure would have shown a cash surplus in transfer dealings,but I guess an argument would put that down to Levy.

There are omissions below such as pau lopez`s one season loan,but includes tracey and clarke signed for the academy.I dont think 18 players have been missed here.
EN2bE8GXUAIDycC
45 players.

Thanks for proving my point.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Never go full Trump.

27=45 okay then 😭

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Mate you're debating with someone who is the epitome of a patronizing 'know it and seen it all' that has supported Spurs since birth, give it up. It's probably Mr Greaves in disguise, with his box of tissues sitting solo in his cave.
Is he still here? I can't be fucked so I poke that ignore button sharpish.. I used to enjoy the thrill of the battle, but after about 100 times it gets tiresome.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Remember kids... some people are just cunts.
Yeah I know I'm a cunt, but I'm your cunt. Oooh that sounded a bit iffy didn't it? I didn't mean it quite like it sounded, I meant I am a cunt, but I am a resident cunt here until I am on everybody's ignore list, I might be now, what is the sound of a bear crapping in the woods if he only has one paw?

Favour

Favour

Player in Training.
Is he still here? I can't be fucked so I poke that ignore button sharpish.. I used to enjoy the thrill of the battle, but after about 100 times it gets tiresome.
Forum clown has me on ignore?
995b35282826c377-i-heart-clowns-gifs-find-share-on-giphy.gif

On no, what a pity! 🤡

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
OK, I thought about getting some popcorn, sitting back & watching the fireworks but... nah.

@Favour I know you are new here & have your own opinions. That' fine.
Forums are for discussions & not everyone agrees all the time. That fine. This place is no different.
For proper discussion, if we make a claim of something to be fact, we try to back it up.

Now it's quite evident that you don't seem to rate Poch or even appreciate what he was able to do for us on such a shoestring budget.
That's OK tool Your prerogative.

But I don't believe you have properly addressed or justified your claim that Poch wasn't a success even though he brought in 45 players.
@skiathospurs posted the incomings & outgoings during Poch's tenure. Has he missed that many?
Furthermore.,like he stated, how do we know that those incomings were his own choices?
History would tell us of a particular pattern. A coach / manager may want this or that player.
But a certain small, bald figure has had a tendency to bring in cheap imitations instead.

I too questioned some of the players being brought in by the club but who actually chose them? Not a clue.
If you know, please share.

Thfcire

Thfcire

Founding Member
Oh look another tough guy with nothing to add to any discussion!
Jose’s a cunt your a cunt and levy’s a Cunt we willWin fuck all under them two without spending huge money.poch worked miracles with the squads he had jose will do fuck all with the current lot