By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Qatar World Cup farce 2022

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I guess it's happening, so here's a thread in case we want to talk about it.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
How many footy stars have refused to go? How many ex footy stars have refused to do the punditry? How many companies have refused to have their stuff marketed there?

They will be the ones I give a fuck about.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
How many footy stars have refused to go? How many ex footy stars have refused to do the punditry? How many companies have refused to have their stuff marketed there?

They will be the ones I give a fuck about.
100% agree...

That's where I'm at.

When a Messi/Ronaldo/Kane turns round and says... "I'm not doing it, this is bent as fuck and it doesn't align with my moral compas"... maybe then some more will speak up.

Fuck this tournament. And fuck Quatar.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
The whole fucking thing makes me sick. I sincerely hope the World Cup is an epic disaster. Those cunts don't deserve anything less.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
It's still kind of blowing my mind that they're just dropping an international tournament right in the middle of an active domestic season with, apparently, zero attemps to actually compensate for that with adjustments in match numbers, schedules or anything.

I wouldn't be remotely bothered if the teams featuring our players go out at the group stages. At least they'll get a solid couple of weeks off and might be in better shape for the second half of the season.

Reactions: Yid
Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
It's still kind of blowing my mind that they're just dropping an international tournament right in the middle of an active domestic season with, apparently, zero attemps to actually compensate for that with adjustments in match numbers, schedules or anything.

I wouldn't be remotely bothered if the teams featuring our players go out at the group stages. At least they'll get a solid couple of weeks off and might be in better shape for the second half of the season.
Yeah, I am not even remotely arsed about the effect on something that at the end of the day is just a game of fucking football. I am seriously arsed that the so-called civilised countries could even consider supporting an evil, corrupt regime like the Qataris by allowing international teams to go there. Thousands of people died building the stadiums, hundreds of thousands of human beings are slaves there - taking someone's passport, forcing them to live in shit-holes, working 12 hours plus per day in temperatures that Qataris would never leave their air-conned palaces in, paying them a fucking pittance because that pittance is more than they can earn in their own countries is in my opinion slavery. Personally I would never visit a country that allowed the death penalty, that's fucking medieval, so fuck you Qatar, all the Gulf states, the US of A and any others that haven't joined the 21st century. The dark ages Qatari anti-gay laws are used as weapons against political dissidents, journalists or anyone they don't like, that's a common tactic in these so-called religious states. Like all of these shit-hole countries, they have huge wheelbarrows full of money and buy loads of weapons from us, so the west turns two blind eyes to their abuses of human rights allowing insults to humanity like the Qatar World Cup and the Saudi ownership of Newcastle.

Fuck the World Cup and fuck any player who goes there - even if they wear a rainbow armband.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Can't disagree with any of that. While I think any normal person would find a Tory repellant, this was really just a whole new level of ugly.

James Cleverly telling LGBTQ people to be "respectful of the host nation". The very same host nation who wants to lock them up and execute them for the "crime" of being who they are.

It's a bit random but the WWE holds twice yearly PPV events in Saudi Arabia because they're given a truckload of cash by the Saudis but they apparently allow anyone who doesn't want to go and appear on moral grounds to stay home with no consequence.

I wonder how the tournament would have looked if Fifa had made the same sort of offer publicly ?

On another random note, I noticed the public falling for Beckham's bullshit a while back during the whole "Queuegate" nonsense. Queuing for seven hours-odd "because of his dad" was a pretty easy fix for his reputation after accepting another truckload of Saudi money to promote the World Cup.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
What makes me so fucking umpty is when I read UK headlines about 'fears of walkout' from the fucking jungle in that fuck awful piece of shit TV program - because that sleazy cunt MP Hancock is there. Don't get me wrong, I hate the cunt. He was responsible along with Johnson for thousands of unnecessary deaths in the C19 epidemic. He was doing the dirty with a staff member while advising everyone else to keep their distance. He awarded dodgy PPE contracts to his family and mates, and like all Tories he made sue his pockets were nice and full. He should be in jail, along with many other Tory ministers and ex-ministers. He also should be representing his constituents in the HoC, not trousering £400k on top of his MPs salary.

But, the thing that gets me so fucking umpty is that so many, 37% probably, of the people in the UK are more concerned about this fucking TV programme than the human rights abuses, torture and murder that are going on in a country they are going to be watching the World Cup in.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

But, the thing that gets me so fucking umpty is that so many, 37% probably, of the people in the UK are more concerned about this fucking TV programme than the human rights abuses, torture and murder that are going on in a country they are going to be watching the World Cup in.
At the risk of turning this in to a politics thread, you just have to look back at the last general election to see how much the great british public give a shit about those less fortunate.

Record levels of homelessness, child poverty, foodbank use and poverty in general all on the back of a decade of austerity and a war on the sick and disabled and the public still voted for the cunts who did all that just because Billy Bunter kept telling everyone about his "oven ready deal" to get rid of the foreigners, which didn't actually get rid of anyone and fucked this country financially for a generation.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
At the risk of turning this in to a politics thread, you just have to look back at the last general election to see how much the great british public give a shit about those less fortunate.

Record levels of homelessness, child poverty, foodbank use and poverty in general all on the back of a decade of austerity and a war on the sick and disabled and the public still voted for the cunts who did all that just because Billy Bunter kept telling everyone about his "oven ready deal" to get rid of the foreigners, which didn't actually get rid of anyone and fucked this country financially for a generation.
I don't think turning this into a politics thread would take it off topic. Corruption in FIFA had to be nodded through by corrupt politicians. I agree 100% and I think Georgie (a lady who phoned in to LBC last week) had the right idea, she suggested that all the Brexit fancying, xenophobic, facist, nazi, thicko cunts (am I giving away which side I'm on?) should have to take a DNA test and see just how Ingerlish they really are. I expect they will all be bigging up their Ingerlund stuff in this disgusting World Cup, I like the one's who go on about Saint George and Richard the Lion-heart, they really make me laugh and I love pointing out that one of their heroes was either a Bubble or a Turk and the other one, the King bloke only spent 3 months of his life in Ingerelund, he was French and couldn't even talk proper Ingerlund like wot we do innit?

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
From a football standpoint (sort of) I have a sinking feeling that the Qatar side will do very well indeed. If they can buy the fucking tournament, they can buy a few results.

Apart from that, I'm holding out hope that it will be a disaster and a humiliation for all the pricks involved. But then, I hoped the same when the Saudis bought the barcodes, and look how that's going. Turns out sport washing works pretty well I'm afraid.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
I don't know if I'm thicker than most or more cynical, but doesn't all this talk of sportwashing (greenwashing is in close parallel) miss the mark? Everybody's saying it works because a few geordies are excited, or a few xenophobes in west London suddenly discover they don't much like Ukranians. Isn't it more to the point that EVERY CUNT GETS IT AND IT STILL WORKS?

Sorry for the caps lock, but I think it's more terrifying that they're saying "we'll bomb the fuck out of Yemen, and you'll sell us the gear with which to do it. Then we'll buy one of your baubles. You won't be fooled, you won't make anything off it, but you'll still pretend you don't notice."

That's more scary than the allegation, which is that we'll somehow feel more cuddly when we see an airline logo or fuel up the car. It's worse when they do it in the open, look you in the eye, and ask what you're going to do about it.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I don't know if I'm thicker than most or more cynical, but doesn't all this talk of sportwashing (greenwashing is in close parallel) miss the mark? Everybody's saying it works because a few geordies are excited, or a few xenophobes in west London suddenly discover they don't much like Ukranians. Isn't it more to the point that EVERY CUNT GETS IT AND IT STILL WORKS?

Sorry for the caps lock, but I think it's more terrifying that they're saying "we'll bomb the fuck out of Yemen, and you'll sell us the gear with which to do it. Then we'll buy one of your baubles. You won't be fooled, you won't make anything off it, but you'll still pretend you don't notice."

That's more scary than the allegation, which is that we'll somehow feel more cuddly when we see an airline logo or fuel up the car. It's worse when they do it in the open, look you in the eye, and ask what you're going to do about it.
Overall, it's part of a broader strategy, I think. One with quite a long history.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Not one alarm bell rang when the Qatari government actually demanded dozens of innocent women be dragged off a plane and forced to undergo internal exams in a fucking van waiting on the tarmac because a newborn baby had been found abandoned in a toilet at the airport.

Cunt of a country run by human garbage. Fuck them.

Last edited:
Yid

Yid

Founding Member
So trying to put a positive spin on this travesty of an event...

What sides do we need knocked out early doors to give the lads a good rest and time for a mid (pre) season rest with conte.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Hugo Lloris
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
Eric Dier
Ben Davies
Richarlison
Ivan Perisic
Rodrigo Bentancur
Heung-Min Son
Cristian Romero
Joe Rodon
Pape Matar Sarr
Dejan Kulusevski

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Hugo Lloris
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
Eric Dier
Ben Davies
Richarlison
Ivan Perisic
Rodrigo Bentancur
Heung-Min Son
Cristian Romero
Joe Rodon
Pape Matar Sarr
Dejan Kulusevski
If this is a list of Spurs players going to the WC 2022, Deki shouldn't be on it. Sweden won't be there.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Some players on that list will go very deep in the tournament, you'd think. And most (sadly for us) feature pretty prominently for their national teams.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
A shame about the choice of setting as Canada will be there for the 1st time in 36 years.
Got some really good & exciting young players like Fonzie Davies, Jonathan David, Stephen Eustaquio & Tajon Buchanan to name just a few.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
A shame about the choice of setting as Canada will be there for the 1st time in 36 years.
Got some really good & exciting young players like Fonzie Davies, Jonathan David, Stephen Eustaquio & Tajon Buchanan to name just a few.
Canada are very interesting, and not just for this WC cycle.

In addition to the young players you've named, there are a lot of experienced old heads (Jr Hoillett, Hutchinson, etc) and IMO a good manager as well. It's a tough group, but I think they have a very good chance of advancing.

To your point, it is sad that this WC is so hard to get excited about for many fans of teams like Canada and Wales, or for that matter the USA, which also has some exciting young players a few years from their prime, and didn't qualify last time around. (FWIW, I doubt we'll make it out of our group.)

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Yes, the team of destiny is exciting, the farce that is Soccer Canada (our FA) notwithstanding. Admittedly outclassed in terms of top-league experience, but they're both fearless and savvy. Can see us escaping the group if one of the old guard falters.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Yes, the team of destiny is exciting, the farce that is Soccer Canada (our FA) notwithstanding. Admittedly outclassed in terms of top-league experience, but they're both fearless and savvy. Can see us escaping the group if one of the old guard falters.
Agreed. These kids are fearless & filled with ambition. And as @J.spurs said, there's a sprinkling of levelheaded experience throughout the side. Herdman has them believing. He's quite the man-manager & his enthusiastic demeanor is infectious. Prior to this posting, he elevated & solidified the Women's National Team into international prominence & it recently won gold at the Olympics off the back of his foundational work.

I'm going to go out on a very thin limb & state that if Conte departs I'd like to see Herdman considered for the job. He's in the mold of a Poch, Howe, & Potter as progressive managers that play on the front foot.

As for the group stage at the WC, neutral's expectations for them are probably near nil against Belgium, Croatia, & Morocco. BTW, those 3 countries ave ranking in the world is 12th. But Herdman & these kids are undeterred & not just there to make up the numbers.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Given @Style And Glory's very good rundown of Canada's chances I will provide my opinion of the Australian hopes.

In short, we have no hope. Our group contains France and Denmark so there is only going to be carnage there. And Tunisia, who will also beat us. Plus we are as boring as batshit to watch, have no discernable talent, a feckless turd of a manager who is essentially a Football Australia stooge and no avenue to create scoring opportunities.

Match predictions:

France 6 - 0 Australia
Denmark 4 - 0 Australia
Tunisia 1 - 0 Australia

We do not deserve our spot and we will get what is coming to us.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Can't imagine anything going wrong with this: