By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Qatar World Cup farce 2022

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Shame about the result but a very respectable outing.
They didn't disappoint with the energy they brought & took it to Belgium.
In all fairness, Belgium were well below their own standard (but how much of that was due to Canada's aggressiveness?).

I'd like to see Spurs play that way & with Spurs' superior finishing we'd reap the rewards. A soccer minnow like Canada taking on the #2 Country in the world showed no fear & dominated for large parts. Hope Conte was watching.

A BIG 'what if':
What if that early penalty had gone in?
How would that have changed the game? Would Belgium push more men forward late on leaving themselves more exposed for a quick counter?

Serious question: did Canada deserve another penalty? Seems there could have been 3 in the first half alone.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
We gave it a good go, tremendously proud of this fearless squad. But...age and guile won. For all the huffing and puffing, we didn't have many clear shots on net. Their defence was slow and ponderous, but they were always in the right place. We ran them ragged, but scuffed our chances. A bit too many passes in the box perhaps?

And, one chance, one goal: a perfect long ball from Toby, a perfect finish from Batshuayi - who was shit for the other 89'59" of the match - and now we need four from Croatia and Morocco at a minimum.

And how does anyone score against Courtois? Davies' penalty was shite, but I don't see anyone stepping up to that spot in front of that man with confidence.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Cunt or not... Ronaldo made world cup history today scoring at his 5 world cup...

Greatest player ever... maybe.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Cunt or not... Ronaldo made world cup history today scoring at his 5 world cup...

Greatest player ever... maybe.
In terms of accomplishments on the pitch, I'll agree.
As a person / teammate, I find that a bit more of a challenge.

I just get the sense it's more about him than the team.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Bears repeating that the English-language coverage of the WC here in the States is the worst shit I’ve ever seen.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
Weston McKennie looks pretty average to me. Apparently we are into him but I just can’t see what he offers.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Weston McKennie looks pretty average to me. Apparently we are into him but I just can’t see what he offers.
Tyler Adams at Leeds is a far better player imo.

Decent performance by the US, but overall I thought both teams looked like they were very confident of winning their final group games, which led to a pretty dull second half. Whether that confidence is misplaced or not will be interesting to see.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Mad results in this Farce Cup - Morocco beating Belgium, blimey! Looking forward to Spain v Germany tonight, the natives may get a bit raucous round here. It could end up with all 4 teams on 3 points with 1 to play, Spain and Germany go through or go home?

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Canada - young & naïve approach to the game after going ahead so quickly.
Croatia - composed, experienced, methodical & clinical.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Mad results in this Farce Cup - Morocco beating Belgium, blimey! Looking forward to Spain v Germany tonight, the natives may get a bit raucous round here. It could end up with all 4 teams on 3 points with 1 to play, Spain and Germany go through or go home?
Spain-Germany should be brilliant--Germany must have a result.

And you're right, whatever happens this game, Japan could very realistically take points off the Spaniels, or anyone else for that matter. I was more shocked that they lost to Costa Rica than the Belgium result tbh.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Spain-Germany should be brilliant--Germany must have a result.

And you're right, whatever happens this game, Japan could very realistically take points off the Spaniels, or anyone else for that matter. I was more shocked that they lost to Costa Rica than the Belgium result tbh.
Looked to me like they did an Ingerlund, they were trying to not lose - and lost, dumb as fuck. It made me laugh the other day when the whole of Ingerlund booed the national side for being boring and negative, now they all now what we feel like.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Looked to me like they did an Ingerlund, they were trying to not lose - and lost, dumb as fuck. It made me laugh the other day when the whole of Ingerlund booed the national side for being boring and negative, now they all now what we feel like.
Also, now everyone knows what it's like for us to watch one shit first half after another. Feels like 90% of these games aren't getting going until the second half.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Southgate is literally trying to cripple Kane. Hope he comes off at the half, but I doubt it.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Australia in the second round. Funny old game. Denmark were absolutely shocking this tournament.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Lookaakoo MOTM for the Crotes? A bit unfair but he missed a bucketoad of chances.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Lookaakoo MOTM for the Crotes? A bit unfair but he missed a bucketoad of chances.
That was painful to watch. He'll take the lions share of blame, but Belgium were appallingly bad all around throughout the three games. Absolutely no urgency until the last ten minutes or so today.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Lots of squeaky botties here in Spain tonight. That was exciting, it started off as scripted, Spain and Germany going through, then Spain and Japan, then Japan and Costa Rica, finally Japan and Spain (on Goal difference over the Germans).

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Lots of squeaky botties here in Spain tonight. That was exciting, it started off as scripted, Spain and Germany going through, then Spain and Japan, then Japan and Costa Rica, finally Japan and Spain (on Goal difference over the Germans).
Brilliant 30 minutes or so, switching back and forth between channels. I love the final day of WC groups (which, predictably, FIFA are talking about changing to three teams in 2026.) On paper, Spain would appear to have done well to finish second in that group, as now they'll play Morocco instead of Croatia. But who knows.

This is incredible, not least because it showing it on TV revealed that many football pundits A) don't know what the rules are; and/or B) don't know what a sphere is:
1r50890o_japan-controversial-goal-vs-spain-twitter_625x300_02_December_22.jpg

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I've got man flu... so I will probably be dead this time tomorrow...

Thought I'd watch the Ghana Urgay game on my way out of this mortal plain... and these fucking commentators are annoying the fuck out of me...

Some jock with a lisp and some woman who is wayyyyyy too excited... shut the fuck up, please.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I've got man flu... so I will probably be dead this time tomorrow...

Thought I'd watch the Ghana Urgay game on my way out of this mortal plain... and these fucking commentators are annoying the fuck out of me...

Some jock with a lisp and some woman who is wayyyyyy too excited... shut the fuck up, please.
Damn, get well soon--sounds like you're watching the English-language coverage we're getting here in the States...might be worse than flu tbh.

Delighted to see Sonny contribute to the late winner and for South Korea to go through. Hopefully that pulls him out of this funk he's been in for club and country. Even by his standards he was absolutely thrilled to bits after the game.