By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Video technology is coming...at long last?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Welllllllllllll... it certainly wasn't very fucking good tonight. 2 pens 2 sending offs. Load of old shite.
I thought there were about 10 penalties.........ha ha

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Welllllllllllll... it certainly wasn't very fucking good tonight. 2 pens 2 sending offs. Load of old shite.
Dunno, there was no 'clear mistake' made that Icould see - OK, maybe the Willian one was harsh, but the rest were kosher. I was really pleased to see a ref that wasn't afraid to book the cheating cunts for diving, in my opinion it's not enough - if a bloke dives with the intention of winning a penalty and possibly getting an innocent player sent off then it should be a straight red and a penalty at the other end, Pedro last night should definitely have got a straight red card for that pathetic, blatant dive.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I don't want it to be black and white. I want it to be somthing I row about with the lads down the boozer.
And this is my gripe,its just kicking the can down the road,because its not eliminating errors from the game,just some deemed by officials and no doubt tv companies loving the spectacle.There are so many things not covered,the game is not merely about goal or no goal,to cherry pick certain infringements isnt an answer for me.I can live with ball over the line goal or not,and i can live without it.Just dives in the area,why?cheating handballs why not in there?,spitting why not?cheating through appealing for things known to not be yours,and so on and so on.Its just someones perception of the degree of error or importance.Who is to say a really bad challenge just given a yellow when its red all day long,cant be reviewed after the match cos the ref saw it,isnt as game changing as a penalty situation.

And back to what @Yid says,we will just argue about another wrong decsion because the system isnt about getting rid of mistakes,just a choice few,so really after 140 years whats the point?And many things that happen are subjective,not clear fact.Either make the referees better or have one ref each half of the pitch,or another solution because VAR isnt really going to stop human cock ups,and that my friends is part of the game perfect or not.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
And this is my gripe,its just kicking the can down the road,because its not eliminating errors from the game,just some deemed by officials and no doubt tv companies loving the spectacle.There are so many things not covered,the game is not merely about goal or no goal,to cherry pick certain infringements isnt an answer for me.I can live with ball over the line goal or not,and i can live without it.Just dives in the area,why?cheating handballs why not in there?,spitting why not?cheating through appealing for things known to not be yours,and so on and so on.Its just someones perception of the degree of error or importance.Who is to say a really bad challenge just given a yellow when its red all day long,cant be reviewed after the match cos the ref saw it,isnt as game changing as a penalty situation.

And back to what @Yid says,we will just argue about another wrong decsion because the system isnt about getting rid of mistakes,just a choice few,so really after 140 years whats the point?And many things that happen are subjective,not clear fact.Either make the referees better or have one ref each half of the pitch,or another solution because VAR isnt really going to stop human cock ups,and that my friends is part of the game perfect or not.
I don't think it's about making the referees better mate. They might not get everything right but that is expected.......... the are fallible humans afterall. I think the problem has arose by players, us, fans, commentators and especially pundits ripping them to shreds every time there is a decision that is remotely ambiguous. I personally think the referees should be respected way way more and their decisions respected also. It don't matter a single fuck if they got it wrong or right as long as they can hand on heart say they called it as they saw it. Moratta last night got dealt with appropriately for gobbing off and that referee should be hailed as a fucking legend for being stave enough to stand up to their arrogant shite. Instead however he is being berated by Alan Fucking Shera and a bunch of other has been cunts about decisions he was brave enough to make.

He contributed to a fucking amazing game of football.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I don't think it's about making the referees better mate. They might not get everything right but that is expected.......... the are fallible humans afterall. I think the problem has arose by players, us, fans, commentators and especially pundits ripping them to shreds every time there is a decision that is remotely ambiguous. I personally think the referees should be respected way way more and their decisions respected also. It don't matter a single fuck if they got it wrong or right as long as they can hand on heart say they called it as they saw it. Moratta last night got dealt with appropriately for gobbing off and that referee should be hailed as a fucking legend for being stave enough to stand up to their arrogant shite. Instead however he is being berated by Alan Fucking Shera and a bunch of other has been cunts about decisions he was brave enough to make.

I do agree,because if we are still going to be talking about bad decisions then why waste changing anything which is where we are at.Besides I like seeing wenger and jose,pep having their piss boiled by anyone.

deejbah

deejbah

Player in Training.

I think this is a big problem - a lot of commentators will go on about referee decisions but they don't even take into account where the referee is standing and what their view might have been. It's particularly annoying with offsides. Showing a camera replay is nothing like having to interpret that action in real time, where the way our vision works is completely different and liable to be confounded by movements at different distances from where the lino stands, let alone having to keep track of when the ball is played, which could be 40m or more away from where the last defender is standing. I find most criticisms of any marginal offside to be completely pointless - it's amazing that linos can get these decisions right most of the time.

As someone who has refereed another sport at a reasonably high level I find it amazing how much shit referees in football will put up with. You expect players to be annoyed with decisions and even question you but the over the top abuse and physical intimidation has been allowed to go way to far in my opinion.

Reactions: Yid
Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
I've always said, never complain about a ref until you have reffed a game yourself.

It's not easy.

Reactions: Yid
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
So in germany and italy they have been using VAR this season,here is an interesting stat from Serie A
"in the first half of the season, 60 corrections were made by the VAR with 49 of those being the right decision," Really 11 out of every 60 wrong with the technology?surely that says there is a long long way to go?? They report it as 1068 incidents were reviewed giving it an error rate of 1%.Some dodgy fake news going on there with regards stats.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I've always said, never complain about a ref until you have reffed a game yourself.

It's not easy.
... and I've always said they earn £80,000 a year, it should not be easy. For that money they should be the best of the fucking best and no fucking excuses.

Of course we can complain about people who are paid with our money being incompetent. Yes, it is our money, we pay for them with our membership fees, tickets, merchandise, Sky subscriptions etc. In most jobs where your earn a lot of money, if you are fucking useless at your job you will rightly be criticised and sacked. These are professionals not kind-hearted blokes looking after amateur games or school kids. Those geezers should be given massive credit, who the fuck would want to subject themselves to that sort of aggro for no money? If your put on the hat then you take the responsibility, in any walk of life, including being the man with the whistle.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I think this is a big problem - a lot of commentators will go on about referee decisions but they don't even take into account where the referee is standing and what their view might have been. It's particularly annoying with offsides. Showing a camera replay is nothing like having to interpret that action in real time, where the way our vision works is completely different and liable to be confounded by movements at different distances from where the lino stands, let alone having to keep track of when the ball is played, which could be 40m or more away from where the last defender is standing. I find most criticisms of any marginal offside to be completely pointless - it's amazing that linos can get these decisions right most of the time.

As someone who has refereed another sport at a reasonably high level I find it amazing how much shit referees in football will put up with. You expect players to be annoyed with decisions and even question you but the over the top abuse and physical intimidation has been allowed to go way to far in my opinion.
The FA made a big thing of how they were going to deal with all that abuse nonsense, but as usual they pussied out. Every single match you see players swearing at refs and linesmen, this is against the rules and should get a red card but it is allowed to go on. They refuse to allow the fans to hear what is said on the referee's comms like in Rugby, because they might hear abusive language - which is not allowed, duh? How does that work? Start doshing out straight red cards for yelling and swearing at officials and it would stop.

Abuse of officials needs to stop. It filters down to the kids games, I have seen 12 year olds playing in my grandson's league calling refs cunts. Why wouldn't they when they see their heroes do it all the time?

Last edited:
Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Sure what are we gonna do if we can't abuse a Frigging ref if all the decisions are corrected.....

Abuse wenger.....

Bring me the VAR!!

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I have flip-flopped, done a U-Turn, changed my mind. I don't mind admitting that I was wr...., less correct because that is what normal, sensible people do when they realise that what they had been told was a pack of lies and the media had brainwashed them into voting ....... whoops, got mixed up with that other total bollocks there,

I have seen VAR now and using the power of my brain to analyse the facts and make an informed decision I say fuck VAR, let's let the game flow. I still agree with post-match video tribunals with terrible and severe penalties for bad guys - including reversing or implementing decisions that refs have fucked up. No technology while the match is in progress though, pony as fuck that is.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
The worst thing,aside from no one in the stadium having a clue,or people watching at home not having a clue,or the players on the pitch not having a clue what is going on,or that as sir chris foy let out,VAR is still a matter of opinion not fact (like Foy`s interpretation of a penalty run up,which in black&white said son did nothing wrong),But by far the worst thing is all the joy of a goal and the limbs,celebrating has been shoved up fans arses,do you jump up&down or stand for 2 mins waiting for a much less euphoric yup! and a quick clap,does a player run with wild eyed abandon celebrating a life memory moment or wait for a wanker in west london to watch it and say yup thats ok.Fucking game is dying,friday night working week get to brighton before 8pm and get home when the match finishes at 10pm,or get home from wembley on a weekend service when a ridiculous 8pm kick off finishing at 10pm takes place,or get to swansea before midday for a cup game where we are allowed 15% of the ground and 10k yids will face probably weekend roadworks on the M4.TV is killing football for the fans attending,but i am sure ST prices next year will reflect this,or not !!!

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Now..... I am not the type of geeza to say I told you so......... BUT I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO..........!!!!!!!!!!

Now the question has to be will they scrap it?

The answer is obviously, will they fuck.

So now we have to find a way that this can work (not that I want it in any guise),or they admit they were wrong and get on with making the post match analysis less accusatory.

The fact that we can see almost immediately the incident from every angle in slo mo means the officials are usually onto a hiding in every game for one reason or another.

Retrospective punishment by a "panel" for cheating has to be done in a way that we don't have the Mourinhios of this world asking for every tackle to be reviewed. Maybe a quota on the number of reviews per game but these should not be at the detriment of the game the Referee officiated and not change results etc.

If someone is a diving fuck and wins a pen give them a retrospective red card... Yes you Dele

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Now..... I am not the type of geeza to say I told you so......... BUT I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO..........!!!!!!!!!!

Now the question has to be will they scrap it?

The answer is obviously, will they fuck.

So now we have to find a way that this can work (not that I want it in any guise),or they admit they were wrong and get on with making the post match analysis less accusatory.

The fact that we can see almost immediately the incident from every angle in slo mo means the officials are usually onto a hiding in every game for one reason or another.

Retrospective punishment by a "panel" for cheating has to be done in a way that we don't have the Mourinhios of this world asking for every tackle to be reviewed. Maybe a quota on the number of reviews per game but these should not be at the detriment of the game the Referee officiated and not change results etc.

If someone is a diving fuck and wins a pen give them a retrospective red card... Yes you Dele
You did tell us - but did we listen? No we did not. That is the problem with people, they are ignorant fuckwits who ignore facts until they are kicked in the bollocks by them, well my nuts are aching and I have seen the light and changed my opinion because the facts are so clear now. If only everybody could be as open minded, calm, sympathetic to the views of others and kind as me, the world would be full of rainbows and oh so fluffy unicorns.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
France lost 2-0 at home last night to Spain, but without the assistance of video replay technology the score would have been 1-1. France's goal was ruled out after 1 minute of assessment for offside having initially been given by the referee and Spains second goal was completely the opposite having first of all been ruled out for off side and then correctly awarded 40 seconds later.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) who in effect in this case was a man in van outside the stadium, is currently undergoing trial runs, with Fifa president Gianni Infantino keen to employ the system during the World Cup in Russia next year.

So what's your view - get the right result, so there's no debate, there's too much at stake these days, financially mostly, with Champions League, promotion and relegation, titles and cups at stake. Or is it too much intervention, where do you draw the line? Offside goals, penalty decisions? we already have 'did the ball cross the line' technology.......bit late for England and Frank Lampard or own back for Germany in 1966.

Football has been great without technology for about 130 years......but things have changed haven't they?
I 'm annoyingly in the changed my mind camp as well. Unless they can find a way of better communication with the crowd - should be very easy on a giant screen, and making a quicker decision. Then it's dead based on last night? And maybe it's dead anyway because it seems that 83.778942% the bastards in black get it right anyway.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
DXMbGoAWAAAsNR7.jpg

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Soz lads but you are all missing the point..... Again...!!!

The pox is here, we just need to find an amicable cure that doesn't suck the blood and life out of our game. I don't fucking know what that is obviously but I'd assume you lot who are like massively hugely more cleverer than me do know.

It ain't going now its here unless it is 100% binned and sucked up as a catastrophic failure by the FA... They wont do that as that'd leave them with omelets on their bonce and that is not acceptable for an institution of their stature...

For me it has to be abandoned entirely in game and we need to trust the officials. We pay them as professionals and we should support them in doing their job pretty fucking well. I don't have a problem with a wrong decision, it happens, its life. I believe that they do probably balance themselves out over time.

Yes I understand huge sums of cash are at stake.... So what I would say to that is don't leave it to luck... If you are relying on being 10% luckier than your opponents then I don't believe 1stly you have any define right to win or that 2ndly you have prepared well enough or are good enough to expect to win.

Where it can help the game is retrospectively. Punish cheats for cheating and hopefully the refs will have an easier job as players won't cheat for fear of serious retrospective punishment. Yes a player may be hailed a hero for diving and winning a penalty to win the cup... But if the player was banned for 10 games and fined a months wages as well as the club being fined millions it would stop the culture of professional cheating.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
The intention is to use it in the World Cup finals in Russia. That will either confirm or kill it I would imagine?

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
The intention is to use it in the World Cup finals in Russia. That will either confirm or kill it I would imagine?
Oooh, them Russkis ain't known for their tolerance or patience are they? Imagine if it was an ethnic minority gay ref calling up the VAR bloke, blimey! BTW we should boycott the fucking World Cup. I am fair with my boycotting, Russia is included with the World Owners and Israel and Saudi Arabia and Wales (not or any political reasons, just because it's Wales innit)

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Think it should be more like tennis. The coach maybe gets 3 a game or something to review a decision. I keep hearing people saying once they sort it like rugby it'll be fine, but I'm sorry that just isn't the case. Rugby is alot slower even in full flow and stop/starts.

As it stands if it's going to be as is I genuinely feel it would push me away from general football. Not Tottenham games obviously but doubt I'd watch anything else.

The excitement even for a Spurs game dwindles during its use.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Think it should be more like tennis. The coach maybe gets 3 a game or something to review a decision. I keep hearing people saying once they sort it like rugby it'll be fine, but I'm sorry that just isn't the case. Rugby is alot slower even in full flow and stop/starts.

As it stands if it's going to be as is I genuinely feel it would push me away from general football. Not Tottenham games obviously but doubt I'd watch anything else.

The excitement even for a Spurs game dwindles during its use.
Problem is it will get like hoopball,and managers will tactically use reviews in the end of the game to break up momentum,fucking bad enough with keepers,players rolling around,subs crawling off the pitch,would just become another time wasting tool if left to individuals.

I say fuck it off,we have goal line tech and thats enough,if we are going to debate if the video ref is right or wrong then nothing really has changed.Scousers would still be moaning about both justifyable penalties except var would be the cunt not the ref/lino/kane and lamela.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Problem is it will get like hoopball,and managers will tactically use reviews in the end of the game to break up momentum,fucking bad enough with keepers,players rolling around,subs crawling off the pitch,would just become another time wasting tool if left to individuals.

I say fuck it off,we have goal line tech and thats enough,if we are going to debate if the video ref is right or wrong then nothing really has changed.Scousers would still be moaning about both justifyable penalties except var would be the cunt not the ref/lino/kane and lamela.

Oh yeah no I'd rather get rid but that's just not going to happen I don't think. Unfortunately these things are seen as progress. Lot of shite really.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
It smacks of trying to fix somthing that was not broken...

All we needed was for the FA to step up and protect referees from the vicious players barraking them every week and the big gobbed pundits spouting shite...

They have to take responsibility for this, no other cunt. If they didn't scrutinise and defame every minute decision completely out of context (every post match analysis is out of fucking context before you fucking argue with me you cunts, as it wasn't at the time, speed or same pressurised conditions as the original decision).

Do people genuinely think they are giving dishonest decisions? For what gain? Fixing games? Have a fucking day off if you do...

Soz I have gone full fucking lunatic a bit there... it drives me fucking insane they are fucking up this perfect game.

Last edited: