By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Video technology is coming...at long last?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Needed it for Son being rugby tackled
Agreed but we've also agreed, Son included, that based on last Wednesdays evidence, we don't need it in its current form. To prove the point he scored moments later....

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
It's horrendous, a fucking joke and it kills all of the emotion in the game, for both players and fans.

With VAR you can never fully celebrate a goal being scored. Fuck it and fuck those in high places for pushing it. It will turn the World Cup into farce, as it has done in at least two FA Cup games so far.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
VAR sucks ass. This is just the beginning. Get ready for it to really slow games down and eventually we will be seeing commercials during those time slots while watching on TV. I hate it, but we best get used to it.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
Just curious.

Re: Son's penalty goal vs Rochdale.
Has anyone from the FA or the Referee's Association come out & to say that the game ref got it wrong? That the VAR got it wrong? That the ref in studio got it wrong? All seemed to misinterpret the rule.

I mean, if they don't even know the rules, what's the point?

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
VAR sucks ass. This is just the beginning. Get ready for it to really slow games down and eventually we will be seeing commercials during those time slots while watching on TV. I hate it, but we best get used to it.
This can't happen otherwise football as we know it is over and so is our attendance I would imagine.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Just curious.

Re: Son's penalty goal vs Rochdale.
Has anyone from the FA or the Referee's Association come out & to say that the game ref got it wrong? That the VAR got it wrong? That the ref in studio got it wrong? All seemed to misinterpret the rule.

I mean, if they don't even know the rules, what's the point?

They didn't say anything about the penalty but did say about Lamelas ruled out goal

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ly-disallowed-tottenham-goal-against-rochdale

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
They didn't say anything about the penalty but did say about Lamelas ruled out goal

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ly-disallowed-tottenham-goal-against-rochdale
I mean if you are going to give a foul for that incident then really its going to be a game of no touching and i suggest a penalty every corner.

What was ridiculous is the brighton guy got a yellow card for a perfect tackle on wilshere on sunday,why cannot the FA rescind those after a game on review?if the guy gets a toting up ban then surely thats as big a case as a 2nd yellow or red card being reviewed either on VAR or after the match..A wrong decision is a wrong decision,its is wrong to just claim some incidents are game changing.Maybe that guy wouldnt make a challenge because he is on a yellow,leading to a goal,or a corner wrongly given can lead to a goal,or even a goal kick if you take aguero`s goal against arsenal (lol).
I thought i was in favour of VAR but after a handful of games I am dead set against it,yes we can bring the time taken down,but fact is some wanker in the black will still commit an injustice watching in a TV studio, like Lamela`s goal,or Son`s penalty through his personal interpretation of the laws.If it is still going to be subjective then why bother??

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I mean if you are going to give a foul for that incident then really its going to be a game of no touching and i suggest a penalty every corner.

What was ridiculous is the brighton guy got a yellow card for a perfect tackle on wilshere on sunday,why cannot the FA rescind those after a game on review?if the guy gets a toting up ban then surely thats as big a case as a 2nd yellow or red card being reviewed either on VAR or after the match..A wrong decision is a wrong decision,its is wrong to just claim some incidents are game changing.Maybe that guy wouldnt make a challenge because he is on a yellow,leading to a goal,or a corner wrongly given can lead to a goal,or even a goal kick if you take aguero`s goal against arsenal (lol).
I thought i was in favour of VAR but after a handful of games I am dead set against it,yes we can bring the time taken down,but fact is some wanker in the black will still commit an injustice watching in a TV studio, like Lamela`s goal,or Son`s penalty through his personal interpretation of the laws.If it is still going to be subjective then why bother??
That yellow was pony and should re rescinded, and while we're on that subject of refs not being over-ruled on video evidence after the game, what the fuck about that cunt Kolasinac? How the fuck is he not banned - because the wanker of a ref sat the incident and didn't think it was even a fucking foul! Everybody else in the entire world saw that as a straight red card, even people who were not watching the game.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I were just thinking with my brain. We are going to get VAR, there's no stopping it now, it's like that Brexit bollocks, everybody is too worried about looking like a cunt if they change their mind. So, how about, for incidents like the ones mentioned above, instead of the ref asking the partially sighted bloke in the video studio about every fucking decision and killing the game, if the VAR bloke spots a 'clearly wrong' red card or yellow card then he lets the ref know at the next break in play and then he can bring the innocent bloke back on or wave a green card at the incorrectly yellowed geezer cancelling the mistake. Maybe they could even cancel goals scored. but whatever they do, let the game carry on, that bollocks the other night just can't happen again.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Good news I feel.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43755203

Premier League clubs have voted not to use the video assistant referee (VAR) system for next season.
The clubs agreed that advanced testing on the use of the video technology will continue to the end of 2018-19.
Premier League officials want the system to be implemented for FA Cup and League Cup matches again next term.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I was thinking about that CL game between Liverpool and City.

First game - Salah is offside for the first goal and City have a good goal disallowed and a penalty turned down. 2-2

Second game, City should be 2-0 up at half time, finishes 2-2.

Draw. city win on pens. Fuck off Liverpool ha ha.

Does that make VAR good or bad, right or wrong? We're talking CL quarter final, big game.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I was thinking about that CL game between Liverpool and City.

First game - Salah is offside for the first goal and City have a good goal disallowed and a penalty turned down. 2-2

Second game, City should be 2-0 up at half time, finishes 2-2.

Draw. city win on pens. Fuck off Liverpool ha ha.

Does that make VAR good or bad, right or wrong? We're talking CL quarter final, big game.
1st goal away at Juve Higuain was offside from the free kick,was it a terrible decision no was it wrong yes,and that was fact, he was offside,was it a penalty for madrid on weds??some say yes,some say no thats opinion not fact,and Juve want VAR now because of a subjective decision,yet with VAR probably wouldnt have been in the qtr finals,maybe?? If VAR is just about opinion what is the point,many watched replay after replay of the penalty in madrid and still cant agree.

Clear&obvious errors wasnt it for??hasnt been brought in like that IMO.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
1st goal away at Juve Higuain was offside from the free kick,was it a terrible decision no was it wrong yes,and that was fact, he was offside,was it a penalty for madrid on weds??some say yes,some say no thats opinion not fact,and Juve want VAR now because of a subjective decision,yet with VAR probably wouldnt have been in the qtr finals,maybe?? If VAR is just about opinion what is the point,many watched replay after replay of the penalty in madrid and still cant agree.

Clear&obvious errors wasnt it for??hasnt been brought in like that IMO.
Yeah fair enough. Only works for offside and disputed 'goals', rest is subjective. You're right kills the passion as well.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Yeah fair enough. Only works for offside and disputed 'goals', rest is subjective. You're right kills the passion as well.
I mean just imagine, "and still ricky Villa......oh wait the ref is checking VAR "

Its a can of worms thats now opened,it is going to be used in subjective decisions that only involve goals pretty much,that tackle by young on aguero prob pen and red card,does that outside the box not even referred.offside,handball,even the run up to take a penalty different refs are arguing against each other,what is the point and as you say kills the passion faster than the bird in "the crying game" windmilling her dick.

C

corroded

Player in Training.
Glad for no VAR to be honest, it's a fucking tragedy at the moment.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
BREAKING: VAR reviews & overturns PL club's decision and introduces itself anyway.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43820565
Replays of incidents reviewed by video assistant referees (VAR) will be shown on big screens at the 2018 World Cup.
However the replays will not be shown inside the ground while the referee is making a decision, only afterwards so the official is not influenced by the crowd, football's world governing body Fifa has announced.
Fifa's announcement that replays will be shown on big screens at the World Cup comes a day after Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said VAR needed further testing before it would be used in European football's Champions League competition.

"I have some fear for the World Cup, where we will have referees who have never officiated with the VAR," Ceferin told Italian paper Gazzetta dello Sport in an interview.

Fifa's referees' chief and former World Cup final referee Pierluigi Collina said the system "is about avoiding clear and obvious major errors".

"It's not a question of refereeing the match with technology," he added. "The goal has never been to check every minor incident."

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
From the BBC sport website - VAR to be used in the Premier League and CL next season.

Video assistant referees are set to be used in the Premier League next season, after clubs agreed in principle to the move.

The Premier League will now make a formal request to the International Football Association Board and Fifa.VAR was used at the 2018 World Cup, is in operation in Italy and Germany's top divisions, and has been utilised in some FA Cup and Carabao Cup games.

The Premier League has been carrying out "non-live" trials this season. VAR will also be used in the Champions League from next season. There have been growing calls for it to be introduced into the English top flight for several years. But in April Premier League clubs voted against it being used for the 2018-19 season. On Saturday, Southampton forward Charlie Austin called for a change after he was denied a goal for offside against Watford, a decision he called a "joke".

Clubs were given an update at a meeting on Thursday. A statement from the Premier League said its testing programme would continue for the rest of the season "with a continued emphasis on those Saturday afternoons which have several matches being played concurrently".

How VAR decisions are communicated to fans in the stadium will also be addressed.

Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey, speaking on BBC Radio 5 live's Afternoon Edition: "I think it is a good thing. I know a lot of people are against it but we've got to embrace it now and move forward.

"We've seen this season a number of incidences that have been called wrong, especially this weekend when there were a number of goals ruled out when they shouldn't have been.

"I think as long as we get the training and education right, and we get the right personnel, that's the most important thing for me.

"The referees will still want to go out and get the key match decisions right, it's very important that referees are not hiding behind the VAR - they've still going to be making these big calls correctly."

The on-pitch referee makes all the same calls, at the same speed and unaided, as he would without the system in place.

However, the VAR - a current or former top-level referee - is in place to check decisions on four sorts of incidents:
  • Goals, including 'missed' attacking offences in the build-up
  • Penalties awarded and not awarded, including 'missed' attacking offences in the build-up
  • Direct red cards
  • Cases of mistaken identity where the wrong player is shown a red or yellow card
The referee can accept the information relayed through his earpiece by the VAR team, an option usually reserved for objective calls of fact such as if a player is offside.

Or, for more subjective decisions such as red cards and penalty-box fouls, he can review the footage on a pitch-side television monitor before deciding whether to change his initial call.

The VAR team will also proactively contact the referee if they spot "a clear and obvious error" around these four types of incident or a "serious missed incident" - usually off-the-ball violence.

The referee can then decide whether or not to have a review - this is where the replay is officially consulted and is indicated by the referee showing the TV signal.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
RIP Football...

Fucking bullshit decision.

I know I'm in the minority here, but this is turning this game into a fucking sterile event.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
RIP Football...

Fucking bullshit decision.

I know I'm in the minority here, but this is turning this game into a fucking sterile event.
I was in the pro VAR camp, having seen it in action at the World Cup and FA cup I prefer not to have it.

Wotspur

Wotspur

Founding Member
If only the refs and linesmen/ women did their job .
We could be going out of the CL in Sanchez’s goal that didn’t stand despite being a good goal , ok we would have conceded against Wolves , but I’d take those two results changed for the good of Spurs

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Hang the fuck on.....

So some games had VAR and some didnt yesterday? Is that right?

How in fucks name can that be right?

8 eyes, on the pitch, at the tine of the incident is more than enough for me.

Stop the managers, pundits and any other agenda driven cunts getting involved and fucking this game up further.

VAR OUT

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Hang the fuck on.....

So some games had VAR and some didnt yesterday? Is that right?

How in fucks name can that be right?

8 eyes, on the pitch, at the tine of the incident is more than enough for me.

Stop the managers, pundits and any other agenda driven cunts getting involved and fucking this game up further.

VAR OUT
Yeah we didn’t have it at Tranmere for example

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
Yeah we didn’t have it at Tranmere for example
There would have been a nailed on penalty when Llorente was dragged to the ground ... BUT, I don't want it in FA Cup games especially because the leniency of the refs makes it what it is. If the lower league teams tried to play 'the beautiful game', without the energetic tackling it would be a different competition. The Nancyboy Premier League teams can experience what real football is, yeah a few legs will be broken but it's a physical game - or it used too be.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
There would have been a nailed on penalty when Llorente was dragged to the ground ... BUT, I don't want it in FA Cup games especially because the leniency of the refs makes it what it is. If the lower league teams tried to play 'the beautiful game', without the energetic tackling it would be a different competition. The Nancyboy Premier League teams can experience what real football is, yeah a few legs will be broken but it's a physical game - or it used too be.
I now generally agree with the VAR out camp, having experienced the farce of Rochdale last year and that penalty yesterday. I’m also for proper tackling, not the cheap and nasty leg breaking stuff, more Dier on Alonso, Dave Mackay hard and fair. Never condoned the Stoke rugby league approach.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I now generally agree with the VAR out camp, having experienced the farce of Rochdale last year and that penalty yesterday. I’m also for proper tackling, not the cheap and nasty leg breaking stuff, more Dier on Alonso, Dave Mackay hard and fair. Never condoned the Stoke rugby league approach.
I was exagerating like I told you a million times with the leg breaking, absolutely agree with good old McKay / Dier style tackling. VAR could put a stop to that cos the chaps would be too frightened to go in hard (but fair). It's swings and roundabouts anyway I reckon, you get a good decision one week and bad ones for the next 1000000 weeks if you're a dipper.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
New laws starting form tomorrow.

Drop balls
Drop balls can no longer be contested, but the change is more positive than it sounds.

If play is stopped, the ball will be dropped to a player on the team that last touched the ball - and where they touched it. All other players must be 4.5 yards (4m) away.

What that means is if a team's attack is stopped, they will get the ball back in that position - instead of the opponents booting the ball down the field.

However, any play stopped in a penalty area will be returned to the goalkeeper, even if the attacking team had the ball.

Another big change now sees a drop ball awarded if the ball hits the referee and goes to the other team as a result, or if the referee accidentally scores a goal (as happened in the Dutch fourth division a week before the law change).

Handballs
The law remains that deliberate handball is an offence. But accidental handball will also be a free-kick if...

• the ball goes into the goal off an attacker
  • a player gets the ball using his arm or hand and then scores, or creates a goalscoring opportunity
  • a player's hand or arm has made their body "unnaturally bigger"
  • the player's arm or hand is above their shoulder (unless the player has controlled the ball onto his own arm or hand)
But a handball will not be a free-kick if...

• the ball is knocked on to a hand by the player in question or a nearby player
  • the arm or hand is close to their body and "has not made their body unnaturally bigger"
  • if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand or arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body - but not extended to make the body bigger
Another change to the handball rule relates to the goalkeeper.

If the goalkeeper attempts to clear ("release into play") a throw-in or backpass and their clearance fails, then they can handle the ball.

Ifab says this is because "when the goalkeeper clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball".

Goal-kicks
Another change involving goalkeepers is to goal-kicks, which can now be played to a team-mate who is inside the penalty area.

The law now says the ball is considered in play once the kick is taken. Until now a goal-kick had to be retaken if it did not leave the box.
Opponents must still remain outside the penalty area until the kick is taken.

Free-kicks
When a defending team has three or more players in a wall, the attacking team can no longer place a player in or next to it.

If an attacker is standing within one yard (1m) of the wall when the kick is taken, they will be penalised with an indirect free-kick.

Another change means - similar to the goal-kick change above - if a defending team takes a free-kick in their own area, the ball is considered in play immediately and does not have to leave the box before another player touches it. Again, opponents must remain outside the box.

Quick free-kicks
If the referee is about to show a yellow or red card but the non-offending team takes a quick free-kick and creates a scoring chance, the official can come back and show the card when the ball goes out of play.

Before now, the card would have to be shown before the free-kick could be taken.

However, if the referee had distracted the offending team by starting to show the card, the quick free-kick is not allowed.

Also if the offence was going to be a red card for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, but the opposition take a quick free-kick, then the player will only be booked because the other team are considered to have restarted their attack.

Penalties
The laws have changed concerning what goalkeepers can do for penalties.

The penalty kick cannot be taken while the goalkeeper is touching the woodwork or nets - or if the net or posts are still moving after being touched.

The goalkeeper must have one of his feet partly on the goalline (or above it if jumping) when the kick is taken. He cannot stand behind or in front of the line.

The other change to penalties means an attacker can take a penalty if he needed treatment (as long as the treatment is quick).

Before now, a player would have to go off the field until after the kick was taken if he needed medical help.

Substitutions
A player who is being substituted must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline or byeline - unless the referee says he can leave quickly at the halfway line - or elsewhere for safety or injury reasons.

This change is to stop players time-wasting. Any player who "infringes the spirit of this law" will be booked for unsporting behaviour.

Cards for coaches
A team official guilty of misconduct can be shown a yellow card or red card. If the offender cannot be identified, the senior coach in the technical area at the time will receive the card.

That new system was trialled in the EFL during the 2018-19 season and is now being introduced worldwide.

The other changes
A player can now be booked for celebrating - for removing his shirt or celebrating with the fans - even if the goal is disallowed.

The team that wins the pre-match coin toss can now choose whether to take the kick-off or which goal to attack - previously they could only choose which goal to attack.

There is now a difference between cooling breaks (90 seconds to three minutes) and drinks breaks (maximum of one minute) in certain competitions played in high humidity and temperatures.

Multi-coloured or patterned undershirts are allowed if they are the same as the sleeve of the main shirt.