By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Video technology is coming...at long last?

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
What happens when a player cracks on while VAR is being debated outside of the game and he pulls a hammy unnecessarily. Ir ge flatters the goalie and their both injured...

It's far too slow, its disruptive, it's making the joy of football sterile and unnatural.

Fuck VAR

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
What happens when a player cracks on while VAR is being debated outside of the game and he pulls a hammy unnecessarily. Ir ge flatters the goalie and their both injured...

It's far too slow, its disruptive, it's making the joy of football sterile and unnatural.

Fuck VAR
It happened a few years ago when this dont flag early for offside phase of play bollocks started,wait until they touch the ball.Lloris got badly injured in a challenge and missed games,bloke was well offside but because they dont flag early play continued and pow,keeper out may have been when he got concussed?? cant remember exactly.Was needless injury.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
It happened a few years ago when this dont flag early for offside phase of play bollocks started,wait until they touch the ball.Lloris got badly injured in a challenge and missed games,bloke was well offside but because they dont flag early play continued and pow,keeper out may have been when he got concussed?? cant remember exactly.Was needless injury.
Everton away

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
👆 that's my exact point... it will happen.

The lino and the ref are not the issue here. They are generally very good at their jobs.

The issue is the pundits, ex players managers, and gobshite fans slamming every tiny mistake becuse they have the benefit of super slow mo replays, at every conceivable ange as well as computer generated reconstructions from positions and perspectives no one else could even dream of.

These arrogant armchair wankers need to realise that humans are culpable and the ref and lino only have one chance at making the best decision.

Get rid of the fucking lot... goal line tech can even fuck off, I dont want anything that separates me and my lad with our jumpers for goal posts with the game that's played in the world cup final... it makes a disconnect between the kids dreaming of doing it, and those very few who actually achieve it....

I genuinely cant see me having my mind changed on this. I am open to progressing the game, just not this way.

Last edited:
USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
ive been against it since day 1. match day 1 has done nothing to change my opinion

Reactions: Yid
skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
"THERE`S SOME PEOPLE ON THE PITCH....THEY THINK IT`S ALL OVER.........OH WAIT A COUPLE OF MINUTES

var-square.gif

C

corroded

Player in Training.
I vaguely remember writing something, somewhere about VAR.

Fans chanting for it is literally the worst thing.

If anything, we need to be chanting for VAR to fuck off.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Is this VAR across Europe leagues wide this season? It will be interesting to see the reaction from European fans.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Is this VAR across Europe leagues wide this season? It will be interesting to see the reaction from European fans.
no,I know for certain the swedish league isnt using it.And I think the PL adaptation of the rules is different to other leagues regarding handball.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
no,I know for certain the swedish league isnt using it.And I think the PL adaptation of the rules is different to other leagues regarding handball.
Which is another reason the whole thing a load of bollocks. You and the missus won't know where you are - ball to hand or hand to ball and all that eh? :oops::oops:;)

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member

I saw that regarding the champions league to. Premier league VAR is different. How the fuck can that be a thing.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I saw that regarding the champions league to. Premier league VAR is different. How the fuck can that be a thing.
It makes no sense as much else in football these days.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Which is another reason the whole thing a load of bollocks. You and the missus won't know where you are - ball to hand or hand to ball and all that eh? :oops::oops:;)
Somehow in this context ball to hand seems more worthy of a free kick than the other way 'round.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
ill take the city point, but man... VAR can fuck right off...

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
The end result will be the same as it was before VAR, we will win some and lose some, so really there's no point to it. I still want to see a post-match video tribunal handing down severe punishments. including points being taken from offending teams, for violent conduct and cheating. All this bollocks about checking goals kills the atmosphere, and theres' enough of that old gonads with £80 match tickets and stupid priced season tickets keeping the 'rowdy'. elements out.

NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
I like it very much. There's nothing like looking at a series of parallel red and blue lines measuring to the last millimeter. I miss the BBC test card too.

How do they decide when the ball was played? When the foot first makes contact with the ball, or when the last molecule of the ball ceases to be in contact with the foot? The receiving player might have moved 3 feet in that time,

Yeah, fuck VAR.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Someone who knows more about tech than I do can maybe answer this, which has been annoying me. Surely when we're talking about centimeters offside, like with the Sterling decision in week 1, VAR can't determine exactly when the ball was kicked, and therefore whether he was actually off? In other words, isn't there a margin of error when we're talking about video evidence? Or are there so many frames per second now that it can be done?

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
I'm surprised that we don't have SMAR - Social Media Assistant Referees, it seems these days that loads of folks spend their whole life twatting and arsebooking during matches, TV programs, concerts, walking along the road - probably shagging. The next time I see a anti-social media post come up on a TV program, telling me what some fucking cretin thinks about the show I am going to kick the fuck out of my telly.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
I hate it, but it's not going away. Earlier in the thread @Yid made exactly the same point as the NYT journo in that article --it's the gobshite fans online and constant punditry looking at decisions over and over that is the reason we have this shitshow. Now the rules will have to be adjusted to deal with the technology, which is bullshit. Mark my words, very soon the concept of time added on will be gone, as the clock won't be kept by the ref anymore, and we'll be looking at sin bins and all that now that we're reviewing every single dodgy tackle. I don't usually believe in the slippery slope argument, but it's inevitable imo. Which is fine, whatever, but I thought there was really nothing wrong with the game I grew up watching. Come to think of it, that's why I watched it.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I hate it, but it's not going away. Earlier in the thread @Yid made exactly the same point as the NYT journo in that article --it's the gobshite fans online and constant punditry looking at decisions over and over that is the reason we have this shitshow. Now the rules will have to be adjusted to deal with the technology, which is bullshit. Mark my words, very soon the concept of time added on will be gone, as the clock won't be kept by the ref anymore, and we'll be looking at sin bins and all that now that we're reviewing every single dodgy tackle. I don't usually believe in the slippery slope argument, but it's inevitable imo. Which is fine, whatever, but I thought there was really nothing wrong with the game I grew up watching. Come to think of it, that's why I watched it.
It has been suggested before by some people in power that a game is reduced to an hour of the ball in play and the clock stops when its out.If I remember right most games the ball was in play 50 something minutes..

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
It has been suggested before by some people in power that a game is reduced to an hour of the ball in play and the clock stops when its out.If I remember right most games the ball was in play 50 something minutes..
In this country college games--the best of which I'd put at maybe League 2 or upper-tier non-league level--do this. The clock is kept on a scoreboard, with the ref stopping it every time there's a delay (marking off ten yards for a free-kick, cautioning a player, etc.) It's not the worst, and it certainly puts an end to time wasting but it eliminates all the suspense of stoppage time and there's really no need to do it.

Ultimately people can make an argument for all kinds of changes, but for me the game was perfectly good (which is not the same as perfect, obviously) before. Maybe VAR helps get the decisions right, but even if we say that's a good thing I think we have to look at the cost of it all, which looks to be way too high IMO. I heard Scott Parker saying that before long players won't even celebrate goals anymore, and he's probably right.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
They are proposing changes to offsides next season,this is the jist of it

IFAB offside law
“A player is in an OFFSIDE position if: Any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.”
Wenger offside law
“A player will be deemed ONSIDE if any part of the head, body or feet is level or behind the second-last opponent — even if other parts are in front.”

If the vote passes, as seems certain, the new law will come into effect on June 1 and be put into use at Euro 2020.

Or.....

Adebayor offside law
"A player will be deemed ONSIDE if he is within 10m of the defender or the halfway line",

Finchbee

Finchbee

Player in Training.
They are proposing changes to offsides next season,this is the jist of it

IFAB offside law
“A player is in an OFFSIDE position if: Any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.”
Wenger offside law
“A player will be deemed ONSIDE if any part of the head, body or feet is level or behind the second-last opponent — even if other parts are in front.”

If the vote passes, as seems certain, the new law will come into effect on June 1 and be put into use at Euro 2020.

Or.....

Adebayor offside law
"A player will be deemed ONSIDE if he is within 10m of the defender or the halfway line",

If you are level you are onside then ??

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
If you are level you are onside then ??
ATM yes and any tiny part like armpits make you offside,the amendment will give a slight advantage to forwards if any part is level,but var will still then be measuring that,its not really gonna solve anything,just more goals will be allowed.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
So you can have your ball sack in line with the defender and now be onside....

That's what it was before if I remember correctly.... but now we have VAR to tell us this.....

I used to understand the offside rule.....

I'm not so sure anymore.

The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper

The Aussie Yid
If they just judged it from the boot, rather than the scrotum, armpit hair or Ozil’s eyeballs then the problem would be solved.