By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Danny Rose

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Dunno, I always like players who speak their minds. I like the ones who keeps their mouths shut and let their playing do the talking too, but there's something unbowed/uncowed/unbroken about him that I love. Everyone knows he plays his heart out, so if he ends up not being selected it's because he's not good enough. Which would have been the case anyway.

All these self-righteous pundits who think professional athletes should act like conscripted privates or zero-hours casual labourers get on my tits. If we want leaders on the field (at least if we want more than one of them),we need to encourage those who speak up like men and then stand up like heroes.
Its absolutely fine to say what ever you want..... if you have earned that right.

Previously he has but right now he is playing like shit and IMO looks as if he doesnt give a shit, so saying what he has simply makes me think "boo hoo hoo" the poor little millionaire is soooooo fucking tortured.....

What grips my shit is that all these millions come from our pockets and any of us would give our left bollock to pull on a Spurs shirt for for 90 mins. I dont expect any of them to be fans, but I expect them to appreciate the position they are in.

A for Levy he is a meddling idiot who is reaping the rewards of trying to blag his way out of spending money where it should be spent.

I'd imagine working for him is torturous. Youd be walking a daily tightrope as wide as the balance sheet margins.....

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Yes, Levy dealing with the players can't be good, although I reckon it's via agents, and business is business. Rose is taking it that way, and being businesslike himself.

As to his form, not sure his heart is gone. It might be his legs.

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

"I am very happy to stay at Tottenham and see my last 10 or 11 months out, I would love to. There is nothing I want more than to play one more time in front of the fans," he said.

"My last game for Spurs was a 1-0 defeat to Liverpool and at the time I didn't know that was going to be or could be my last game for Spurs.
"I want nothing more than to play in front of the Tottenham fans one more time, just to cherish all the moments we have had over the years with them.
"They have always been good to me, I have possibly given them reasons in the past not to be so good to me, but they know when it was game time I gave everything for them.
"I will continue to do that as long as I am contracted to Tottenham.
"For me, I couldn't stress it enough, I would love nothing more than to play one last time for Tottenham and just be able to say goodbye to them and thank them for everything they have done for me as a person as a player.
"Ultimately, as good as I am or was is because of the love they gave me. I am very relaxed, it is off season now before it all starts again in a few weeks.
"I will just have to wait and see but for me I would love nothing more than to play for those fans once again."
With players taking the knee before matches after the restart of the Premier League and the Black Lives Matters movement, Rose was asked about his experiences of racism on the pitch and off of it.
"To me now it's just laughable. My attitude towards it is that it's happening again. I just have to get on with it because someone's going to get another laughable fine and then it's business as usual next week," he said.
"It's not just football. I got stopped by the police last week, which is a regular occurrence whenever I go back to Doncaster where I'm from.
"Each time it's 'Is this car stolen? Where did you get this car from? What are you doing here? Can you prove that you bought this car?'
"You know, for me this has been happening since I was 18, since I was driving and each time it happens I just laugh, because I know what's coming.
"It's just how it is. Whenever I go on the train. One of the last times I got on the train, I got on with my bags and the attendant said 'Do you know this is first class?'. I say 'yeah, so what?'.
"They ask to see my ticket and I show the lady it and this is no word of a lie, two people, white people, walk on the train after me and she says nothing.
"I asked 'Are you not going to ask for their tickets?' and she just said 'ah no, I don't need to'.
"So people might think it happens but to me that's racism. These are the things i have to put up with, being stopped all the time and being asked if I know this is first class and to show my ticket.
"This is everyday life for me but I feel embarrassed to even complain in a way, or bring it up, when you see the incident in America where a man, a black man, lost his life at the hands of people who were supposed to protect and serve.
"Whenever I do say things or complain, you do hear people say 'well you're on this money so just get on with it'. I just give up with hoping that things will change because that's some people's mentality towards racism.

"So yes it happens on a football pitch but that first happened to me and my good friend Fabian Delph when we were playing for Leeds and we were only 15.
"He had been called a black 'b' on the pitch and so yes since then that's what we know. I'm used to it, that's not saying it doesn't still hurt, but how I then go on about my day after that is that it's happened and I move on and who do we play next."
Rose admitted that it's just now at a stage where he expects such incidents to be part of his daily life.
He added: "Yep, 100 per cent. Absolutely, particularly when I go home to Doncaster. I don't like to drive so I get the train, but whenever I do drive, I kid you not I will get stopped at some point while I'm in Doncaster, pulled over and questioned.
"My friends have been there with me a lot of the time when it's happened. The last time, last week, when I'd just been at my mum's house, I had pulled up in a car park so the engine was off.
"The police pulled in and they brought a riot van, three police cars and they questioned me. They said they'd had a report that a car had not been driving correctly.
"So I'm like 'ok, so why does that make it my car?' I got my ID out and they breathalysed me. It's just honestly one of those things to me now. What can I do?
"I don't understand what I can do or who I can complain to. This happened first when I was 15 and it's still happening now I'm 30. So 15 years of this on and off the field happening and there's no change whatsoever.
"I just don't want to repeat the same words I say and people saying 'oh he's always moaning' and what not.
"Obviously you've asked me what my experiences are and those are my experiences and that won't be the last experience."

He added: "Whenever I have said things in the past, non-race related or general things, things I've questioned or said I'm not happy with, you do sort of hear some people;s general responses are 'you're earning this much money so just get on with it'.
"I'm very thankful that I'm not on social media but you do hear about some people's comments. That's why now unless somebody asks me a direct questions I'm very much in two minds now over whether to say my truth or the truth because you have to understand it's not what everyone wants to hear at times. That's the world we're in and just get on with it."
Rose is unsure whether the Black Lives Matter will have a lasting impact, not only in society but on the game of football itself.
"I just have to wait and see. There is so, so, so much more than needs to be done. I have played at Sunderland, Tottenham, Newcastle, Bristol City, Peterborough, Watford and Leeds United and I don't remember a black person working upstairs at these clubs," he said.
"That's one of the things that needs to change. There has to be a change and going away from that you just need to look at the amount of black managers that are in football.
"You look back at the greats when I was growing up , Andy Cole and Sol Campbell, obviously Sol Campbell is in management now but he has had to start at the bottom and his CV is as good as anybody's. It is just things like that, with the number of the black coaches that are at the forefront on a Saturday, there aren't many and that needs to change.
"There are so many things that need to change. I respect and understand it will not change overnight but I just hope people are aware of what I am saying and they don't just think I am moaning. What I am saying is near enough fact. I just hope it will change in the future."

Rose was also asked about that controversial interview in 2017, while he was out with a knee injury, when he criticised the ambition at Tottenham, what the players were being paid and the type of players the club were signing.
The interview split opinion among fans, some feeling his honesty was refreshing and what needed to be said and others feeling he was rocking the boat unnecessarily while out injured.
The club were unimpressed and reportedly fined him a couple of weeks' worth of wages, but Rose does not regret the brutally honest way he speaks in interviews.
"No not really. I am 30, I am a grown man, as long as I not effing or calling somebody this or that then I don't regret things," he said.
"Sometimes timing may be questionable but what I have said in the media about racism, about not being enough black coaches within football, I don't understand how I can apologise or think I have said too much."
He added on that particular interview three years ago: "It was an expensive conversation, but am I supposed to regret what we speak about in the dressing room or what the majority of the fans are thinking?
"No, I am not going to regret that because that is what the changing room was saying, that is what the majority of fans were saying.
"I don't regret it, maybe the timing was incorrect because I think it was literally leading up to our first game of the season so it was an unnecessary distraction for the lads, the club, so I fully take that on board. What I said, I said, I got punished for it and we move on."

Despite his honesty in interviews, his former Spurs coach Les Ferdinand once said that Rose was 'a closed book' behind the scenes.
"I do agree with what he said. I do appreciate that previous managers or coaching staff at Tottenham may have felt like that, but if I am asked a question or I don't agree with something then I can be quite vocal," explained the left-back.
"I find it strange that people are quite fascinated or are like, 'Oh my God, I can't believe he has said that'. I am just answering your question, why is that a shock? That's just how I am and my mum and my uncles will tell you from a young age that is how I have been.
"I don't mean to offend anyone or say anything to have a negative aura around myself because that is not going to benefit me at all.
"I am not going to do the, 'happy to play', or 'happy for the three points' cliché speak that some players give because when I finish football I want to know that I gave everything on the pitch, which so far at 30 years old I feel I am ticking that box towards the end of my career.
"Also I want to finish this game knowing I was myself so I would rather be myself and be disliked, but at the end of the day I get more gratitude and satisfaction in knowing I have been myself. That is all I am bothered about."

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Always loved him for his honesty. His best days on the pitch are probably behind him, but we need more players to live their lives unbowed like that, and fewer of those who straight-bat every question and stay cosseted behind their piss-boy handlers.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Always loved him for his honesty. His best days on the pitch are probably behind him, but we need more players to live their lives unbowed like that, and fewer of those who straight-bat every question and stay cosseted behind their piss-boy handlers.
I'm sorry, but I think he's a bit of a lightweight. From memory only (I should probably google it... ;) ),he changes his story left right and centre. When he was injured and at the end of that season, he was mouthing off about anything, the way he was treated by the club, the fickle fans, being injured, basically anyone asked of him. I'm not a massive Raheem Sterling fan either, but he seems to come across with a lot more insight, thought, intelligence and rationale. I wouldn't mind betting that Danny boy is just a bit fed up in Newcastle and wants to come back to London.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
I'm sorry, but I think he's a bit of a lightweight. From memory only (I should probably google it... ;) ),he changes his story left right and centre. When he was injured and at the end of that season, he was mouthing off about anything, the way he was treated by the club, the fickle fans, being injured, basically anyone asked of him. I'm not a massive Raheem Sterling fan either, but he seems to come across with a lot more insight, thought, intelligence and rationale. I wouldn't mind betting that Danny boy is just a bit fed up in Newcastle and wants to come back to London.
And become a free agent and sign a huge deal inclusive of signing on fee with LA galaxy...!!!

Thats his motivation, not the fans horse shit.

Dave

Dave

Player in Training.
I'd lay any money on it....I do have a soft spot for him cos of THAT goal v the scum and alot of great performances over the years but...Danny Rose's reason and motivation for playing for any club is Danny Rose.

Last edited:
NiceOneCyril

NiceOneCyril

Player in Training.
So many contradictory statements over the last few seasons, I thinks he’s burned too many bridges. A shame really, he has so much to offer but it just feels like he’s making life difficult for himself.

Dorset

Dorset

The Voice Of Reason
Founding Member
So many contradictory statements over the last few seasons, I thinks he’s burned too many bridges. A shame really, he has so much to offer but it just feels like he’s making life difficult for himself.
I don't really care about him now to be honest, I like my players to tell the manager when they're pissed off not the fucking media. I also like my managers to do their slagging off, man to ma in their office not in the Sun.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Savage !!

EiTt7l1WkAEtjYy

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Bit of a sad way to end a career, including left back for England, but he's brought it on himself. Silly boy, poorly advised I would guess.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
Bit of a sad way to end a career, including left back for England, but he's brought it on himself. Silly boy, poorly advised I would guess.
Dunno about advice mate... but he has a history of "being honest" or as I might say "being an arrogant, self entitled, detached from reality cunt".

Either works for me...

Imo he is so far up his own arse he can't see anyone else's perspective and all the people his millions enable him to be around, prop up his self proclaimed king of the fucking hill attitude.

He will tell you this isn't the case and that he is the victim in all this because of him "being real".... Fuck off...!

Professional footballer since 13 (like it or not, they are),millionaire since 17 and never had to deal with anything other than which super model to bang or what colour Lambo to drive this month....

Silly cunt has made some good but also some terrible choices especially where PR is involved. He could have walked away from this club as a legend... all he had to do was shut his mouth.... but nah, had to keep it real didn't he.

Fuck him.

Cunt.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Dunno about advice mate... but he has a history of "being honest" or as I might say "being an arrogant, self entitled, detached from reality cunt".

Either works for me...

Imo he is so far up his own arse he can't see anyone else's perspective and all the people his millions enable him to be around, prop up his self proclaimed king of the fucking hill attitude.

He will tell you this isn't the case and that he is the victim in all this because of him "being real".... Fuck off...!

Professional footballer since 13 (like it or not, they are),millionaire since 17 and never had to deal with anything other than which super model to bang or what colour Lambo to drive this month....

Silly cunt has made some good but also some terrible choices especially where PR is involved. He could have walked away from this club as a legend... all he had to do was shut his mouth.... but nah, had to keep it real didn't he.

Fuck him.

Cunt.
Harsh but fair. I agree

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
He’s gone. Thanks for everything early in your career. The last 3 have been shite from all parties involved. I wish you the best.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
He’s gone. Thanks for everything early in your career. The last 3 have been shite from all parties involved. I wish you the best.
Agreed. Its telling that some of the youth players are offering tributes to him right now. Aside from his playing career, I have to say that a lot of what he said or suggested about the club and its leadership has proven to be spot on. Plus I genuinely appreciate his openness about depression and mental health. I understand why people would have mixed feelings about him, but I love the guy.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Agreed. Its telling that some of the youth players are offering tributes to him right now. Aside from his playing career, I have to say that a lot of what he said or suggested about the club and its leadership has proven to be spot on. Plus I genuinely appreciate his openness about depression and mental health. I understand why people would have mixed feelings about him, but I love the guy.
Agree wholeheartedly. I'm sure I've blathered on about this before, but I love how entirely unbowed he was. Pissed a lot of people off, probably including his own teammates at times, but we need more Roses and fewer platitudes in our lives.

And on the pitch, he was at times magnificent, especially during the last year at the old Lane.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Lord High Chief of the Privvy
Quality until he started believing his own hype and thinking he was Roberto Carlos.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

He's now apparently been told he won't play for Watford again and is free to leave.

Style And Glory

Style And Glory

On My High Trojan Horse
He's now apparently been told he won't play for Watford again and is free to leave.

Yes, there was a story on SkySports the other day about this. Seems his career is unravelling / winding down rather quickly.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
What the fuck... he is only in his early 30's.

Either he is physically no longer capable or he can't do it between the ears anymore.

I suspect the latter and maybe some of the former.

I will sit back and remember this as an example of what he was capable of.

ClemFandango

ClemFandango

Yes, there was a story on SkySports the other day about this. Seems his career is unravelling / winding down rather quickly.
I can only think it's unravelling more than winding down. The article claims he'd become "disillusioned" with Ranieri's methods and conversations he'd had with him. Based on his previous with us, you can only assume he's gone straight to his office to complain and Ranieri has basically said "If you don't like it, you can fuck off".

There's another piece that implies that if Rose is still with Watford beyond the end of this transfer window, he won't even get a squad number for the remainder of the season.