By using properspursy.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Love the Shirt - Tottenham Forum

Join one of the best Tottenham Hotspur Supporters forums on the interweb, Discuss the ins and outs of our great club with like minded spurs fans from around the world.

Join us!

Danny Rose

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I'm just enjoying playing well and being back in the team and we'll see where it takes me and umm takes the club.

He's a goner.
Dont think so,I think he was referring to his mental state problems rather than playing for other clubs.

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
Maybe, it was just the way he changed tack quite quickly, a kind of oops I've said too much moment!

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Maybe, it was just the way he changed tack quite quickly, a kind of oops I've said too much moment!
He does speak straight from the heart without a filter!!just to the clubs channel I cant imagine him hinting at wanting away?

Motspur Hotspur

Motspur Hotspur

Player in Training.
He does speak straight from the heart without a filter!!just to the clubs channel I cant imagine him hinting at wanting away?
Didn't realise it was the club channel. Thought it was sky post match equivalent, I'll give benefit of the doubt on this one then!

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Zero tolerance of Numpty's
Founding Member
Danny is one who has turned his season around imo. Playing really well atm, maybe he could have a word with Tripps. I’dike to see Rose and KWP against Newcastle.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
Preview for Sunday? Another shade of red, but if anyone's likely to be up for the challenge it's Danny against Trent. The opposing threat means he's not likely to get much penetration, but I'd feel pretty confident we can cut off that source of supply at least.

Down the right, not so much...

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.

“I don’t know what the future holds now. I’m looking forward to a break. If I’m back at Tottenham next season, great, if I’m not – great. I’ll just have to wait and see,” he told Sky Sports News.
“It’s not about regular first-team football. I know my age and I know how the club’s run in terms of if you get to a certain age they might look to ship you on.
“It has been no secret that my name has been mentioned quite a few times in terms of players moving on and I’ll be just sitting tight over the next few weeks and just seeing what happens. Either way I’m prepared for whatever happens.
“Last season I didn’t play as much as I wanted. This season I’ve played quite a bit, it’s been really good.”

USspur

USspur

Player in Training.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...verpool-players-on-england-duty-38197944.html

While he did not feel physically tired at the culmination of a difficult week, Rose admits that being surrounded by players who had triumphed over him and his team-mates was a bitter pill to swallow.

"It's not draining coming to play for your country," he said.

"It is a bit draining having lost last weekend and having to share the camp with Liverpool players. You are reminded every day that you lost the final and that was a unique experience for me.

"I have never been through that myself. I was definitely tired from a long season with my club and having to come to England didn't help. But as I said, whenever you're selected for England it is a great occasion. It is one I will always welcome and cherish."

Asked how Liverpool players Jordan Henderson, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez had been with their Tottenham counterparts in the squad, Rose added: "They've been great.

"We have a great squad here. I have known Jordan for 10 years now. He has been fine, we have spoken about the game.

"Our congratulations go to them. I couldn't have asked for either of them to have been much better than they have."

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
Hopefully just resting him. If we sell both Trippier and Rose we are in trouble.

Glenjamin

Glenjamin

Founding Member
Hopefully just resting him. If we sell both Trippier and Rose we are in trouble.

Not according to this

Vincent Janssen, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Danny Rose have been granted additional time off in order to explore prospective opportunities with other clubs.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
Not according to this

Vincent Janssen, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Danny Rose have been granted additional time off in order to explore prospective opportunities with other clubs.
I can't remember another statement from the club like this. He's surely gone, which I'm very concerned about. I personally rate Davies higher than most fans, I think, but we need depth in that position, and Danny is still one of the best LBs in the league. It will take a very good (and probably expensive) player to replace him.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Not according to this

I wonder what has gone on behind the scenes, Danny looked like he was giving it everything last season.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
I wonder what has gone on behind the scenes, Danny looked like he was giving it everything last season.
I think its amicable,maybe both parties in agreement.Could also be a revision of our playing style,going for midfield width and less from full-backs?
It wont suprise me in the least if he went to city.

Been a great servant,12 years since his move,had our ups and downs but he is spurs as they come,maybe too honest when speaking out,but i have no doubt he really cares about the club and I wish him all the best,truly.

Yid

Yid

Founding Member
One of the few that seemd ti be consistent... hes never looked like he enjoys the game much a few notable occasions aside.

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
I think its amicable,maybe both parties in agreement.Could also be a revision of our playing style,going for midfield width and less from full-backs?
It wont suprise me in the least if he went to city.

Been a great servant,12 years since his move,had our ups and downs but he is spurs as they come,maybe too honest when speaking out,but i have no doubt he really cares about the club and I wish him all the best,truly.
If he goes to City, I don't wish him all the best, because he will be no better than all other mercenaries like Kyle Walker. I respect the service he has given the club, but it's also vice versa and I like him as a player, I would keep him, but if he is agitating for a move away then that's down to him.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member

Now Rose has openly said he's planning on running down his contract (as is his right). He says some nice things about Poch, but that now makes him the fourth player who seems likely to leave under the same circumstances. I mean, we may well wind up selling, but who knows? I can't think of a single example since the Bosman ruling of any club has facing (or putting themselves in) this kind of situation. WTF.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member

Now Rose has openly said he's planning on running down his contract (as is his right). He says some nice things about Poch, but that now makes him the fourth player who seems likely to leave under the same circumstances. I mean, we may well wind up selling, but who knows? I can't think of a single example since the Bosman ruling of any club has facing (or putting themselves in) this kind of situation. WTF.
What the press are reporting can be spun two ways,first is he is running down his contract for a fat pay day elsewhere by refusing to sign an extension,an extension when he will be 31 and has probably not even been offered as of yet.The second way to spin it is "danny says he isnt leaving "People [in the media] can save their time – trying to get stuff ready for January about me being sold. Because I can tell you now: it ain’t happening. I know what people were trying to do in the summer. There were no bids – that was rubbish.When the manager stops calling me into his office, stops giving me advice, that’s when I’ll think it’s time to leave Tottenham but, until then, I’m not going anywhere. I’m lucky to have a manager at Tottenham who, from the first day we met, has always stuck by me, regardless of anything, regardless of the rubbish in the media about me being sold or not part of his plans – all that nonsense. ”

Toby and jan will both be very near the end of their careers,almost certainly whatever club they are with it is their final deals,most likely,Both previously have expressed a desire to return to ajax at the end.Most likely because of age vertonghen wants more than a one year extension which is standard for clubs to offer at that period (even terry and lampard left because of this),toby has some transfer value it could be argued,perhaps?but no one came in with the £25m release clause last summer.It is also pretty clear succession planning has been underway,whatever thoughts on them are,sanchez and foyth are prepped to be the long term replacements,also with dier still in mind too.

That leaves Eriksen,and we arent alone in that regard,sanchez,ramsey and ozil just for one clubs example.Sanchez traded for mick the tariyan (remember him?)flop,ramsey walked for nothing and they wanted to keep frog eyes out of those 3.Put him on over 350k a week and have royally created a wage eating nightmare,who isnt picked,cant be sold or loaned out because why would he accept half the money he is on now?and why wouldnt a player actually getting picked to play not think,"fuck he earns that i`m not even on half that".
Chelsea and man utd have several big named players out of contract in the next 1½ years,hazard left with just one year remaining,with hindsight if we could have sold eriksen last summer pretty sure we`d all agree that would have been preferable,but that is mostly down to his playing level so far this season not losing £60m on a transfer that has been amortisized. down to zero on the books anyway.We sold enough lemons (wimmer for £18m) to not cry too much when we get Bosmanned.

I think the bigger worry is wages,we put dele and kane on bigger money,must have affected others?2 english golden boys on double bubble.And my main worry is we are charging "The Ivy" prices and paying McDonalds wages,we have this wonderful training facility,billion pound stadium,you see all this expenditure elsewhere,its like paying a chaffeur $10 an hour for him to drive you in a Lamborghini Veneno.Surely you would think he has a $4.5m car he could pay me more??We expect top 4 as a minimum but pay 6th place wages and always have done,yet the chairman is the best paid in football annually and not even counting the 100s of millions he is making on his investment paid for by fans and the club leveraged by debt/loans and same fans paying the interest for this investment (£21m to buy spurs,could be sold for over £1bn) and yet danny rose and eriksen are the greedy snakey bastards??.

J.spurs

J.spurs

Founding Member
What the press are reporting can be spun two ways,first is he is running down his contract for a fat pay day elsewhere by refusing to sign an extension,an extension when he will be 31 and has probably not even been offered as of yet.The second way to spin it is "danny says he isnt leaving "People [in the media] can save their time – trying to get stuff ready for January about me being sold. Because I can tell you now: it ain’t happening. I know what people were trying to do in the summer. There were no bids – that was rubbish.When the manager stops calling me into his office, stops giving me advice, that’s when I’ll think it’s time to leave Tottenham but, until then, I’m not going anywhere. I’m lucky to have a manager at Tottenham who, from the first day we met, has always stuck by me, regardless of anything, regardless of the rubbish in the media about me being sold or not part of his plans – all that nonsense. ”

Toby and jan will both be very near the end of their careers,almost certainly whatever club they are with it is their final deals,most likely,Both previously have expressed a desire to return to ajax at the end.Most likely because of age vertonghen wants more than a one year extension which is standard for clubs to offer at that period (even terry and lampard left because of this),toby has some transfer value it could be argued,perhaps?but no one came in with the £25m release clause last summer.It is also pretty clear succession planning has been underway,whatever thoughts on them are,sanchez and foyth are prepped to be the long term replacements,also with dier still in mind too.

That leaves Eriksen,and we arent alone in that regard,sanchez,ramsey and ozil just for one clubs example.Sanchez traded for mick the tariyan (remember him?)flop,ramsey walked for nothing and they wanted to keep frog eyes out of those 3.Put him on over 350k a week and have royally created a wage eating nightmare,who isnt picked,cant be sold or loaned out because why would he accept half the money he is on now?and why wouldnt a player actually getting picked to play not think,"fuck he earns that i`m not even on half that".
Chelsea and man utd have several big named players out of contract in the next 1½ years,hazard left with just one year remaining,with hindsight if we could have sold eriksen last summer pretty sure we`d all agree that would have been preferable,but that is mostly down to his playing level so far this season not losing £60m on a transfer that has been amortisized. down to zero on the books anyway.We sold enough lemons (wimmer for £18m) to not cry too much when we get Bosmanned.

I think the bigger worry is wages,we put dele and kane on bigger money,must have affected others?2 english golden boys on double bubble.And my main worry is we are charging "The Ivy" prices and paying McDonalds wages,we have this wonderful training facility,billion pound stadium,you see all this expenditure elsewhere,its like paying a chaffeur $10 an hour for him to drive you in a Lamborghini Veneno.Surely you would think he has a $4.5m car he could pay me more??We expect top 4 as a minimum but pay 6th place wages and always have done,yet the chairman is the best paid in football annually and not even counting the 100s of millions he is making on his investment paid for by fans and the club leveraged by debt/loans and same fans paying the interest for this investment (£21m to buy spurs,could be sold for over £1bn) and yet danny rose and eriksen are the greedy snakey bastards??.
All good points, I'm just finding it hard to believe that 4 of the most important players in the squad from last season are in this situation. For me its less about the finances than the obviously unsettling effect its had on the squad.

BrooklynYid

BrooklynYid

Player in Training.
I think it goes something like this. Poch has a conversation with Levy over the summer and says "Daniel, I like both Danny and Kieran but they are not at the level required for a club contending for the European Cup." Levey responds, "thank you for your frank assesment. I will see to it that both players are sold asap." Poch then hands Levy a list of up-and-coming internationals that he feels could be an upgrade. Levy looks at the list and laughs hysterically. "hahahahhaha! I said I would sell them. Never said anything about replacing them. Ah, Mauricio, you're such a hoot!" :oops:

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
All good points, I'm just finding it hard to believe that 4 of the most important players in the squad from last season are in this situation. For me its less about the finances than the obviously unsettling effect its had on the squad.
I think the most disappointing part is their respective levels of performance,why that is ?I dunno.Imagine if we had sold toby,jan,danny and eriksen this summer,maybe got £100m for the job lot?the howling and bleeting would have been monumental,would it have been different with whomever replaced them?Its damned if you do something,damned if you dont all dependant on results.Its just the way modern millionaire footballers work and are advised,80 grand a week is now a travesty and the whole thing is out of touch with reality.I am conflicted as to whether I want my club to join this game and pay someone like eriksen 300k to stay,or suffer short term pain like now.Its looking like eriksen will join sanchez at man u,ozil at arsenal as wage thiefs without charachter when it comes to backing up their wages with talent.I am not sure danny is in this bracket,ok he runs his mouth at times,but i dont see any demands for extra or above,maybe what I see is the longest serving player at the club feeling miffed cos Levy tried to sell him?

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Well then.....Sheds some light on some of the problems Poch was dealing with,and now Mourinho.

The discussion with Danny Rose had turned towards José Mourinho and how it felt to have a manager of his winning mentality in control at Tottenham. “Who said he’s in control of the club?” Rose shot back.

It was late on Wednesday night, in the aftermath of Spurs’s 3-1 Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich and, although Rose did not specify, everybody knew who had the control. It is not Mourinho – rather the chairman, Daniel Levy, with whom it is fair to say Rose has had his differences.

Rose said last month that Levy had told him over the summer he would not be given a new contract to replace the one that expires in June 2021. Spurs’s attempts to force the defender out came to nothing and so Rose took a decision: to run down his deal and leave as a free agent. The 29-year-old’s position has not changed – no matter that he is impressed Spurs have been able to attract a manager of Mourinho’s calibre to replace Mauricio Pochettino.

“I’ve never had a conversation with him [Mourinho] and I don’t see why I need to,” Rose said. “As I said before, I’m here for the next 18 months, so I don’t see why I need to have a conversation with the manager. I want to do as well as I possibly can, work as hard as I can to achieve what looked impossible a few weeks ago, and that is finishing in the top four [of the Premier League].”

Mourinho is trying to fix various dynamics at Spurs and Rose said every player is effectively starting from scratch. “We’re all starting from the same starting point or, at least, I hope we are,” he said. “It’s very good [under Mourinho]. I had the privilege of working under Mauricio for five and a half years and now, I have to be honest, I never thought I would be managed by José Mourinho at Tottenham.

“That’s credit to the club, how well they’ve progressed, and to get someone like José has been brilliant. He’s one of the most decorated managers of my lifetime, so it’s been a good start for the team and I’ve enjoyed it so far. He is a serial winner, so I imagine we will be looking to win the FA Cup and finish in the top four of the league.”

Don Diaz

Don Diaz

Founding Member
Well then.....Sheds some light on some of the problems Poch was dealing with,and now Mourinho.

The discussion with Danny Rose had turned towards José Mourinho and how it felt to have a manager of his winning mentality in control at Tottenham. “Who said he’s in control of the club?” Rose shot back.

It was late on Wednesday night, in the aftermath of Spurs’s 3-1 Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich and, although Rose did not specify, everybody knew who had the control. It is not Mourinho – rather the chairman, Daniel Levy, with whom it is fair to say Rose has had his differences.

Rose said last month that Levy had told him over the summer he would not be given a new contract to replace the one that expires in June 2021. Spurs’s attempts to force the defender out came to nothing and so Rose took a decision: to run down his deal and leave as a free agent. The 29-year-old’s position has not changed – no matter that he is impressed Spurs have been able to attract a manager of Mourinho’s calibre to replace Mauricio Pochettino.

“I’ve never had a conversation with him [Mourinho] and I don’t see why I need to,” Rose said. “As I said before, I’m here for the next 18 months, so I don’t see why I need to have a conversation with the manager. I want to do as well as I possibly can, work as hard as I can to achieve what looked impossible a few weeks ago, and that is finishing in the top four [of the Premier League].”

Mourinho is trying to fix various dynamics at Spurs and Rose said every player is effectively starting from scratch. “We’re all starting from the same starting point or, at least, I hope we are,” he said. “It’s very good [under Mourinho]. I had the privilege of working under Mauricio for five and a half years and now, I have to be honest, I never thought I would be managed by José Mourinho at Tottenham.

“That’s credit to the club, how well they’ve progressed, and to get someone like José has been brilliant. He’s one of the most decorated managers of my lifetime, so it’s been a good start for the team and I’ve enjoyed it so far. He is a serial winner, so I imagine we will be looking to win the FA Cup and finish in the top four of the league.”
If this is all genuine and I have no reason to doubt it isn't, then Levy should seriously fuck off out of player management and do everything through the manager. He's (Levy) about building a multi sports and property corporation anyway, not a football club. Some of these players have over delivered on all of that in the past 5 years and he needs to respect that. As for Danny Rose, actions speak louder than words (same for Eriksen) so knuckle down mate, help your team mates, increase your own desirability and value, and then leave on a free if that's your beef. but stop talking to all and sundry about it. You're not as smart as you think you are.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
If this is all genuine and I have no reason to doubt it isn't, then Levy should seriously fuck off out of player management and do everything through the manager. He's (Levy) about building a multi sports and property corporation anyway, not a football club. Some of these players have over delivered on all of that in the past 5 years and he needs to respect that. As for Danny Rose, actions speak louder than words (same for Eriksen) so knuckle down mate, help your team mates, increase your own desirability and value, and then leave on a free if that's your beef. but stop talking to all and sundry about it. You're not as smart as you think you are.
If its true then really we need a director of football to keep Levy away from the human beings.

And Danny,shut up please and get your head down.

spurious

spurious

Player in Training.
If its true then really we need a director of football to keep Levy away from the human beings.

And Danny,shut up please and get your head down.
Dunno, I always like players who speak their minds. I like the ones who keeps their mouths shut and let their playing do the talking too, but there's something unbowed/uncowed/unbroken about him that I love. Everyone knows he plays his heart out, so if he ends up not being selected it's because he's not good enough. Which would have been the case anyway.

All these self-righteous pundits who think professional athletes should act like conscripted privates or zero-hours casual labourers get on my tits. If we want leaders on the field (at least if we want more than one of them),we need to encourage those who speak up like men and then stand up like heroes.

skiathospurs

skiathospurs

Founding Member
Dunno, I always like players who speak their minds. I like the ones who keeps their mouths shut and let their playing do the talking too, but there's something unbowed/uncowed/unbroken about him that I love. Everyone knows he plays his heart out, so if he ends up not being selected it's because he's not good enough. Which would have been the case anyway.

All these self-righteous pundits who think professional athletes should act like conscripted privates or zero-hours casual labourers get on my tits. If we want leaders on the field (at least if we want more than one of them),we need to encourage those who speak up like men and then stand up like heroes.
My main concern if this reporting is true is the negative effect Levy has if he is dealing with players.I dont mind Rose throwing light on it,but I mind that his form has been awful recently.And IMO its all in his head cos he had the ability and attitude but his head and heart have gone.